Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post TV Shows to Avoid

Watching television and movies has always been a bit of a challenge for me. I have made a lot of progress with my emetophobia, but an unexpected v* scene still hits like a ton of bricks. Years ago I had to rely on friends to tell me whether a movie was okay or not. They were completely unreliable, they weren't bothered at all by v* and didn't remember it until it was too late.

For a long time I didn't watch many movies and when I did, there was always anxiety. A few years ago I found a wonderful site that gives super detailed parental reviews of new movies and dvds; it even lists every time a character talks about or does v*. "Screen It" is free, they have a subscription version but I just use the freebies. Unfortunately, they do not review tv shows.

So, since movies are marginally easy to check out, I figured it would be good to make a big ol' list of tv shows that tend to have a lot of v* scenes. "TV Tropes" lists a few, but a WARNING: if you are uncomfortable with graphic descriptions you might not want to read theirs. That's why we need our own! Some of these shows are worth the risk, or are good ways to try to desensitize yourself, the point of the list is to give a little warning. If you want, mark the ones you like anyway with a little or something.

Here are a few to start:
    Family Guy
    Farscape
    The Good Guys
    House MD
    Little Britain
    Peep Show
    South Park

Default Re: TV Shows to Avoid

I used to be the same way! I wouldn't watch something because of a v* scene, or I would ask friends who had seen the movie about v* scenes (honestly, why do they do those kind of scenes, anyway?!). I've gotten over it a little bit now, I can almost sense it coming on, so I close my eyes and try to block out the noise with my own thoughts. It's embarrassing though!

Good list. Another to add--Ren and Stimpy. Bleck.
    ~Clare <3

i, thankfully, don't get bothered by tv/movie v.......i don't like it....but it doesn't send me into a panic......because i know i can;t "catch it" same with drunk v........
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ER
    Casualty
    Holby City

One word....Jackass

For those who are bothered by it on TV and movies, Don't watch The Road. Otherwise it is a good movie, but avoid that one if you can't see or hear V*
    Let success be measured by the happiness in your heart.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

True blood sometimes has had bad scenes in it, which I look away and turn down because I love that show!
    also any medical shows, there's one episode of scrubs series 8 which has s* mentioned (not sure if shown) throughout. Some episodes of King of the Hill, in fact in one episode you see it and everything, that sure took me by surprise.
    If anyone's seen married with children there's about 2 episodes where you hear the main character being ill, but it doesn't sound like it at all and you see nothing
    all I can remember for now

Quote Originally Posted by lizpuff View Post
    One word....Jackass
    Yes, I remember the horror that is Jackass. They are making a Jackass 3D...

true blood and er are 2 of my favorite shows...they can be a bit overwhelming sometimes...true blood puts me into a panic BUT the series is SO amazing...i cant turn away.

Tosh.0.... Never EVER watch Tosh.0. They make a point to include v* in every episode. The first time I watched it I jumped and threw the bowl of pasta in my lap onto the carpet. It was difficult to explain to the people with me, to say the least. I ended up saying there was a spider on me.

Also, the Sopranos has a very unexpected v* scene right after Tony Soprano stares into a mirror in the 5th(?) season. Also another when he's in the hospital.
    Law and Order SVU also shows Eliot v* after taking drugs to prevent aids.

There was also a kids cartoon on Nickalodeon (I think) where literally every character v*ed in an episode. One even while having his first kiss. I can't remember the name, but an entire mall gets food poisening. Pretty much scarred me for life.

Skins, i LOVE the show but it has a fair few v* scenes

Eastenders and Home and Away have a lot of v* scenes in

If you are very afraid of v* scenes, I'd watch out for Edge of Darkness' first few scenes. Very graphic sounds and sights. I didn't know the scene would be that way or else I would have fast-forwarded it, but I caught it too late and was only able to sheild my eyes and not my ears.

I've heard that Fringe/Weeds has, but i've never seen these two. There's also one episode of the simpsons called furious yellow or something that involves a pretty horrible scene with two dogs getting ill

I LOVE House, have seen every single episode, except one. It's in season 2 or 3, and is called "airplane". After the first 5 minutes I turned it off and refuse to watch it- the episode is my worst nightmare come to life. Other than that, I tend to look away when there are V scenes (and I look completely retarded doing so, like putting the blanket to my eyes, or doing a really fast head turn).

Quote Originally Posted by olschesky View Post
    i, thankfully, don't get bothered by tv/movie v.......i don't like it....but it doesn't send me into a panic......because i know i can;t "catch it" same with drunk v........

I'm very much the same, although not with drunk v... i find i get very anxious with it.

weirdly, s* on tv really, really bothers me, even though I know it's not real, it's really weird. But just remembered 2 more for UK viewers, 8 out of 10 cats shows a graphic picture of david beckham in one episode and in Russel Howard's good news there's quite a horrible scene with like a henry hoover getting ill which I unfortunately didn't have time to avoid!

I've only seen two V scenes in Fringe, one per season. Both had very obvious lead ups.

Archer and Drawn Together are both animated shows that I love, but both involve V scenes fairly commonly. They always have obvious lead ups. Archer's noises are gross, but very fake, almost comical. Drawn Together takes the nasty approach and ends up with very graphic, over the top sounds.

I also enjoy House, usually it is obvious when somebody will be ill.

Reality Shows are ones I stay away from, Survivor and Fear Factor had many many V scenes back in the day.

You may find these links helpful!

Yeah, I'm drawn to medical shows, but obviously they have it in them...House, ER, Grey's Anatomy, etc. And that new idiotic show, "Wipeout" will do things to the contestants, like spin them around, and they will get sick. How stupid...

Dear Hollywood or wherever, are such scenes really needed to advance a plot? Nonsense.

Hi. i'm cheerbear11 and i'm a new member. Believe it or not Little House on the Prairie does have a major V scene on one of the later episodes and the show is titled Home Again. It is where Albert Ingalls gets addicted to morphine and he gets REALLY sick while suffering withdrawl symptoms.

Jackass always tops the list for me.
    Little Britain used to gross me out but these days I see how comic it is (used it as part of some mild exposure therapy).
    I don't really watch much in the way of TV.

I'm just lucky I'm a political geek and my TV diet mostly consists of programmes like Newsnight, Question Time, the news, the Daily Politics, and current affairs documentaries!!

i have seen that episodeand completely panicked. it was the most awful thing i had ever seen in my life...im pretty sure i covered my eyes amd ears but i told myself to get thru it bc every bit makes you a little stronger. you should try sucking it upand watching that episode and you will feel a little bit stronger amd a little more relieved

Vomiting used to bother me on TV shows, but it really doesn't anymore. I think it's because I know it's fake. If it's a reality show and it's real, it bothers me more, though.

I can't watch "Hell's Kitchen" because the ONE episode I watched, he v*ed violently and repeatedly after trying one of the dishes. Quite gross (and rude I might add!)

I have to check what myths will be covered in episodes of Mythbusters before I can watch that, but sometimes I will watch it anyway and just change the channel if I think a V scene might be coming up.
    Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear. ~Ambrose Redmoon

Intervention often has v* scenes, and they're real. Avoid it unless you are feeling strong that night
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

I'm addicted to TV and always unhappily stumble over v*scenes.

Law and Order SVU - I've seen almost all episodes made except for the last season and these are the episodes I remember v* being in:

"Payback" - the 1st ever episode I think Detective Benson does the deed after seeing a disfigured woman
    "Paranoia" - Detective Stabler gets sick after taking AIDS medication - Twice, once he does the deed, the 2nd time I believe he retches a lot but nothing comes out.
    "Juvenile" - I think I remember them mentioning v* but i can't recall if it is shown at anytime
    "Families" - A boy gets sick in the interview room (I can't say much else as it will give away the plot line)
    "Underbelly" - If I remember right, a guy gets sick in the interrogation room after being shown a picture of a dead body
    "Streetwise" - A girl gets sick in the morgue after seeing the dead body of a girl she cared for
    "Authority" - the most unreasonable placing of v*. At the beginning of the episode, a worker at a fast food joint is told to clean up the bathroom because someone was sick and it is shown on the ground. Quite graphic.
    "Wildlife" - v* is shown on the ground of a house, however, it is Hyenna v*

The Tudors -

Great TV show, I haven't seen all the episodes but there are 2 I know have v* scenes in them. If you can avoid these scenes, I strongly recommend watching the show.

"Bottom of the Pot" - This was a very disturbing episode for me in general, regardless of the v* scene. I didn't recover for quite a few days because of the amount of death and lack of empathy shown. Don't read on if you are very sensitive. Katherine Howard is executed and 3 others. The man who is about to be hung, drawn and quartered v* graphically and on himself. They show his execution, including his innards being taken out and burnt in front of him. They also show 3 beheadings, and two of the heads displayed on spikes. Katherine Howard also wets herself. Not pleasant goings on.

"As It Should Be" - A great episode despite the very small v* scene. As England is at war with France, disease hits the soldiers and it shows one of them being graphically ill although it was very quick and not that upsetting.

Family Guy -

It's cartoon v* so it isn't that upsetting but it does tend to be graphic. There are almost too many episodes that include it to list but I definitely noticed that many episodes in the 6th season included at least one scene and the worst one is definitely in I think "8 Simple Rules for Buying my Teenage Daughter" where a lot of the family ipecac and it just goes from there...

The mighty boosh also has, at least in one episode, it's the 'eels' one and there's s* at the very end of it which you actually see, although the character is hungover so you kind of see it coming

Ahhh House.

I love it. It genuinely has got me through a lot of hard times! I watch it every night before sleeping, or I can't sleep.

There's only a few v* issues that get me in all 5 series box sets I own (some of which, I own twice.... shh) and I know it so well I can avoid them!

Ahhhh House.
    "if the good lord had intended us to walk, he never would've invented rollerskates"

Quote Originally Posted by catlobster View Post
    I LOVE House, have seen every single episode, except one. It's in season 2 or 3, and is called "airplane". After the first 5 minutes I turned it off and refuse to watch it- the episode is my worst nightmare come to life. Other than that, I tend to look away when there are V scenes (and I look completely retarded doing so, like putting the blanket to my eyes, or doing a really fast head turn).
    Yeah- emets- avoid it.

One bit bothers me. At the start. I love it so much I just fast forward the first 10 minutes. But there is a lot of v* the whole way through!

(if anyone needs advice on House- I am resident expert )
    "if the good lord had intended us to walk, he never would've invented rollerskates"