Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Does anyone else do this?

I have severe panic attacks that last from 3 hours to a whole day, they are dreadfull. But during those panic attacks i tend to pull my hair out or scratch my forhead until it bleeds. Ive tried snapping a rubberband and picking at stuff but it doesnt seem to help. It seems like hurting myself is the only way to get a little relief fromt he situation. I dont cut myslef or anything i just do those 2 things, im afraid it may turn into something worse. Do any of you do this? do you know why?

Default Re: Does anyone else do this?

Yes and no.... I'm new to this site by the way... i have had this "Emet" for 25 yrs now and just figured out there is a name for it.... I dont do exactly those things but let me explain... All my life i have been terrified of: P******....... (Sorry i dont want to jinx my self) I didnt know that there was an actual name for this Phobia... So i just said that i have OCD. Obsessive compulsive disorder. Which i do. I have to do everything 3, 9, or 33 times or else i dont feel "Safe". I feel like if i dont do everything that many times someone around me will be sick or i will be sick. It's very severe ocd. it is running my life. it's just a chain reaction... Emet = scared = OCD = releif. Now my ocd has a broad range that goes along with it... panic attacks are pretty much an everyday occasion with me. when im haveing one sometimes i pick at my face... yea gross. i know... pulling your hair out..... i did that when i was very young.. like 4 or 5... so your "Normal" in a sense... dont think your the only one cause trust me im either worse or we're on the same page at least! I wish i could tell you how to fix it but i cant. im still struggleing everyday with ocd/emet. i dont have health insurance and trying to get any help is impossiable without it. If im really bad i try to just do something that im passionate about... Like i love driveing so that calms me down and i love doing sculptures so it's just something that will take your mind off of it. I hope this helps just know your not alone!

Thanks, im glad to know that i am not the only one that does that/

Interesting... I've never heard of this in combination with emet, but look up "Trichotillomania." It's the urge to pull our your hair

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

there is another member on here.....sorry, her name escapes me......that is emet and recovering from trichotillomania.......maybe you can find her by reading older posts.

i have my things too......lots of pinching when i panic so have tiny bruises all over my arms and legs......the pain from it distracts me from the n.

we're in the same boat
    how i feel about emet

Wow, I do stuff like this, too.
    When I get a panic attack I'll pull my hair and constantly pace. Sometimes I'll even hit my head against the wall to distract myself. I liked Wrenchin33's post--sometimes I'll do something a little more wholesome to distract myself, like playing piano or something.

I think we're all pretty much the same.... When we panic or have anxiety for some reason we cause some sort of harm or pain to ourselves to distract us from thinking about our issues. Its interesting to think that instead of doing somerhing productive or like jogging or something we hurt ourselves.... I wonder why that's seems to be so comforting.

When I panic, I pace a lot and really have to be outside. I drink hot water because the burn actually makes it feel like my throat is opening up, b/c it feeling like it's closing on me. I also start to peel my nails on my fingers. I don't bite at them, b/c besided the water, I can't stand to have anything come near my mouth. So right now they've been peeled down to about as far as can be without bleeding. As for the hair, it has to be up in a ponytail b/c it's long and I don't like it near my face when I'm n*. I hope these things don't sound too weird.

Sometimes when I'm feeling very nauseous, I will scratch my legs to try and distract myself from feeling sick.

I'm a new member and had emet. for 10 years, but only just found out that it's got a name!

I used to get regular panic attacks when I was younger and would rock backwards and forwards and dig my nails into my palms to try and pull myself together, although they are much less frequent nowadays.

I find doing breathing exercises and repeating 'I'm not going to be sick' slowly in my head often calms me down and my therapist has given me some relaxation techniques to practise.

Try looking at stressmanagement.co.uk

Some of the things on there, such as Body Mindfulness, often help to calm me down when I'm having a panic attack, so they might work for you

x

Be sure your doctors know about this if they don't.

I find myself doing a lot of strange things during an attack, or when I'm n*. Usually I'll pull on the bottom of my shirt or adjust my clothing, its a weird habit! I also peel and mess with my fingernails when I'm nervous, but I would NEVER dream of biting them, because I hate dirty things in my mouth. Or I will feel the need to get up & run far away from where ever I'm getting anxious at. So sometimes I just need to get outside and take a deep breath. You're definitely not alone..

I don't do this when I have panic attacks. However, I'm more afraid of others v* than myself so Hurting myself isn't going to do anything like distract me from feeling unwell as a lot of people have mentioned. However, I tend to be very restless, want to run away and if I cant I have a habit of running my fingers through my hair and rubbing my face with my hands - just normal signs of stress I guess.

It's probably not good that you're making youself bleed! But it's normal for us to do weird things to destract us from n*. I bite the skin on the top of my hand... :P And I pinch the skin on my stomach

I also do the peeling of the nails or i pick at my lips...so weird and if i am really bad i get this cough thing goin on and i also have to go outside. I feel too that driving seems to calm me.

I do so many weird things. Yes, I have to be outside, unless it's hot, then I can't stand that and I don't know what to do!

I scratch my back and pinch, and pull on that little notch between your collar bones, because my throat feels like it's closing...I can't breathe through my nose because I feel like closing my mouth will make me gag (because it's too tight). I sometimes scratch myself with sharp objects, stab myself with pins, or cut myself when it's really bad.

everytime i have a panic attack i always tend to scratch my arm until it goes red or even bled and i always figit alot i can never keep still :/