Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Getting married on tuesday..

Hi everyone, i am getting married in a registry office on tuesday and i am absolutely terrified! It is only a small ceremony, 20 close family and friends, no readings and no 'walking down the aisle' I have shortened the vows to be as small as legally possible but i still have to stand in front of people and speak which is something that terrifies me. the thing is, i had no idea that nerves could make me feel so *N! whenever i try the dress on or do anything wedding-related i start feeling awful, shakey, n* and i get a lump in my throat, which is always a huge deal to me because of the emet, i am really worried about the day.. worried that when i try to say my vows the lump in my throat and the *N will make me *V or make me unable to speak (i NEVER talk when i feel *N, i keep my mouth firmly shut and don't move until it passes)
    Does anyone have any advice for me? anyone been in a similar situation? wedding? public speaking? etc.. It's only a 10 minute ceremony! but i am literally petrified, i have lots of anxiety on top of the emet, social situations scare the hell out of me, any help would be appreciated..

Default Re: Getting married on tuesday..

I am absolutely terrified in situations like this too but I do a lot of modelling and have had to start forcin myself throughit, you can spend your life ruining your best moments with this fear... I used to to bikini parades and had to stop because of the fear but recently I have jsut got back into it. On last sunday night I did was a ring girl for a huge fight night, in front of two hundred people I had to stand up smile speak, parade around and be confident about it... I had to congratulate the winner on stage and in the ring... etc... to make matters worse one of the fighters got kicked in the stomach and v*d in the ring, I had to go ahead anyway as I was being payed 50 dollars an hour to be there... this was the hardest night I've had to stick through since I have had this phobia and I did it!! I got through it!!
    If I can do this, then you can too... this is your big day! the day you will remember for a long time so you need to relax yourself, remember that this is only n* from the anxiety... not from illness!! You will be fine!!! I promise you!!! you will not v*................ try getting some mints or chewing gum and if you feel the n* then pop one in your mouth!! you will be ok and you should enjoy this special day. x

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    A brave man is not a man who is not afraid, but one whose will is stronger than his fear.

i got married last june 16th in a civil ceremony..........i was a wreck for 2 months before.......it was just my husband and i and our 2 witnesses........just as we started the ceremony 2 police officers came in with a prisoner.......they said they would wait till we were done.......so that kind of broke up the panic.....lol....also civil ceremonies are not so "formal" we even made a few jokes during ours..........

marriage ceremonies are stressful even for non emets.........this was not my first marriage......it was my 4th....not only that......he was my second husband so it's not like we hadn't done this before........but still very nerve wracking to say the least............i would suggest a valium or xanax to help calm the nerves......or if you don't have that maybe a dramamine.....

you will do fine..........once you get there the anxiety lessens a little..............have fun~
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Whenever I have a big important date coming up (like a final exam or something) I tell myself well ahead of time that mathmatical probability that I will be sick during that hour out of all the days - hours - minutes of my entire life is so incredibly low that is is pretty much 0. Then, whatever I feel, I just tell myself it's absolutely not a sickness, guarantee myself it is anxiety. I don't know if that would work for you, but it got me through my finals and speeches in university!

I think the N* your feeling anytime you do something wedding related is completely anxiety. Thats how I felt before I gave birth to my daughter. Anytime I would go to Babys R Us or set things up in her room or even talk to my family about being a mom, ect.. I would feel sick and kind of shakey. It's totally normal to feel like that before a big (not to mention life-changing) event.

Your wedding day will be one that you will remember for the rest of your life, so please please, do not let this phobia ruin that for you. You will be absolutley fine and this is GREAT exposure therapy for you. Remember that you will be surrounded by people who know and love you and want to share in your happiness with you. You're gonna do awesome! Congrats!!! xoxoxo
    "there's a light at the end of this tunnel" you shout, 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out. these mistakes you make, you'll just make them again if you only try turning around.. and breathe. just breathe <3

Congratulations!

Congrats! Try to shake those nerves, you will be fine!