Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Need Help!

Default Need Help!

I am new to this forum and if anyone is willing to help give me some advice or tell me im not alone with these feelings it would be appreciated.

I have had this issue for years, i am currently 19. Its to the point i can barley go into public because i am afraid i will be sick in front of people. I worry about it so much that i feel physically sick everyday almost. I feel just completely out of it. I cant go out and have fun with my friends and if i do and i feel one little thing go wrong for example I feel tired or I get really hot, i panic and need to leave resulting in me making up a lie of some sort so that nobody will judge me. I worry that maybe this isn't anxiety even tho i am seeing a therapist who specializes in OCD and says this is what I have. He has put me on Prozac (I have taken Paxil, Lexapro, and Zoloft in the past and none have worked) and will be starting me in cognitive behavior therapy. I worry that maybe I have some sort of disease that makes me feel sick like this everyday even thought i think it is probably the fact that i stress about it so much!

To give you a quick example, tonight i had friends come over and i just felt so sick and was worried that i might throw up and i was literally paralyzed, couldn't eat or anything while they were here. They wanted me to go to a party with them but I just couldn't because of this i knew anxiety would spark up so like usually i am missing out on a fun night with my friends and am stuck at home miserable. I do feel better now that they left but I just want to be normal and go out and have fun!

This has gotten horrible and I honestly and going to give up hope if this new therapy has no effect on me. I am just curious is there anyone out there who has this problem? Or doctors with some insight or hope for me. I just started seeing this new therapist about 3 weeks ago and I am trying to put faith in this man whom i never knew before but its hard. Any bit of help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Need Help!

welcome to the forum......

i think we all feel the same way you do at some point. you need to try and push yourself a little out of your comfort zone and try and deal with the panic.......easier said than done i know.......but you have to take some baby steps forward. i take prozac for the phobia also and it helps me immensley.........it didn't cure the emet.....but i don't obsess 24/7 about it......thank god.

i'm working on making myself stay at work when my stomach feels weird, or i get hot feeling......it always turns out to be anxiety......i find distractions to get it out of my brain......

good luck with the therapist.......keep us posted
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

thanks so much. you have no clue how much it helps me just knowing there are people out there with this problem and are just willing to talk. Really though, thank you! It makes me feel quite optimistic.

Also if I may ask, how many mgs are you taking of the prozac that is helping you? and how long did it take before you started to notice a good?