Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Cognitive Behavioral Therapy?

So I just recently came across the tv show called Obsessed on A&E. One of the things they use to treat the cases I've seen is CBT. I CANNOT imagine what going through CBT with our phobia is like.

Anybody out there tried it?

Default Re: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy?

I have just begun with my therapist.

I am scared out of my mind but very optimistic. Because I just began I am doing small things right now that are hard for me but not to the 100% extreme. This is my first week and my therapist gave me the assignment of just looking at still pics of V* and also touching a possibly contaminated thing such as a door knob and touching my hand to my face once a day everyday this week. Then next week it will be a bit harder. The key is once you do it enough it gets easier to deal with, i will keep you posted! =)

Im doing CBT, im about 9 weeks in. It feels like slow progress but there is definately progress. At the beginning, my therapist and made a list of things i feel are difficult to deal with regarding the phobia from the easiest number 1 to the hardest number 10 and we have been working through that list. Im up to number 6 now, this is the crunch time, number 6 is listening. The points get worse up to number 10. It is really, really, really difficult, i wont lie, but im getting better and seeing progress! I just struggle with the homework side!

If you are thinking about CBT, ill be happy to answer any questions. :-)

In case you wanna check it out, there's a series of pictures for exposure treatment at

http://www.emetophobia.bravehost.com/index.html

It tells you what you are going to see prior to seeing it (each step on a new page), so you won't see anything you didn't meant to

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for keeping me updated. Keep it coming! You are so brave!

Hey. I had about 9 months of CBT for my phobia and unfortunately it just didn't work for me. It has really good success rates and I often felt that I was on top of things but as soon as I had a set-back, I really struggled to get back to where I'd been before and due to various other things, I ended up just stopping treatment completely without any real outcome. I would definitely recommend trying it and you'll probably be surprised how well you cope when you have to. Unfortunately it just isn't for everyone.

Fra08cf, thats what im worried about because i can be absolutely fine for weeks on end then i see something i dont want to see or hear something i dont want to hear, im caught off guard and then WHAM! Back to square one!!! I expect it will happen with my course of therapy too but im perservering and ill just have to see how it works out!
    Fingers crossed eh?!!

The show Obsessed (which I've only seen ads for until later tonight) seems to have sparked some controversy around here about CBT (cognitive-behavioral therapy). CBT is NOT the same thing as "flooding" which involves scaring a person suddenly and all at once. Flooding brings with it the risk that someone is re-traumatized in the process and there is no good evidence that it works long-term.
    Please check out the articles on Diagnosis and Treatment in the Information and Research section of this website for a clearer view.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.