Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey everybody,

I have to be the reigning queen of procrastination!!!! [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]Not something I am proudof AT ALL, however, it's the truth. When I get a paper or a test, I will wait till the night before to write the paper or to study. I have it set in my mind somehow that working on it beforehand won't make the finished product good enough.I feel that doing it at the last minute and waiting until everything is just perfect (which I don't understand myself, because how can the last minute be perfect and make the product better?) will make things somehow better. I have this false belief that if things aren't perfect, (which somehow in my belief is the lastminute)then I can't make my work perfect. (Did I mention I am a perfectionist? [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]) This in turn causes SOOOOO much stress on my part, because sometimes I am cramming for a test up until 3:00 a.m. the night before when I have a 9:00 class, or I am up until 4:00 a.m. working my keister off on a paper. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]I don't know if this is an OCD thought, the whole "working at the last minute will make things better or more perfect, and if I work before, it won't be good enough," or if I am just down right a lazy bum?? I honestly dont' know. When I read over what Ijust wrote,actually, it sounds like the stupidest thing I have ever read, and I sound like suchan idiot!!! I mean, this whole stress is self-inflicted!! I just NEVER learn my lesson!! NEVER!! For example, this weekend I have a rough draft on my research paper over Euthanasia to do, a synthesis essay (which I managed to get an extension on), and a psychology test to study for. I can't tell you HOW MANY times I've been in the same situation!!! I just NEVER EVER change my behaviors!!!! I know exactly what is going to happen this weekend, the same thing that always happens. I am going to be so overwhelmed with all of this work that I will start crying and have panic attacks over pressure of finishing it on time, andsleep my worries awaywhich wastes time!!!!! Again, I do this to myself!!!!!!!!! How sick and awful does that sound? [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

I guess the point of my post is, does anyone know a way I can get past these false beliefs or this downright laziness and just get to work??? Ialways end up doing well on my papers and tests, hell, I'm on Dean's List,but my dad always says: "at what cost, Neha?" And he's right!! It really takes a toll on me. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

GRRRRRRRRRRR.....Just so angry with myself right now!!!!! [img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]I sound like a fool in this post, and I probably am one for doing this to myself over and over again and still not learning my lesson!!!!! [img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]

Thanks for listening to me vent!!!!Edited by: NCsmile6
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WEll it doesn't sound that awful to me. I procastinate like crazy too. But for me, I feel like I do better if I leave things to the last minute, I dunno why!

What you could do..instead of leaving everything to the last minute, is start on the essays earlier.....rough draft, proof reading, ect. Then type it out like a week or so before.

Some of these thoughts might be OCD, not too sure though, not well informed on it!

Good Luck!

I don't know that I can really be of any help because I procrastinate ALL the time. I have finals in a week and let's just say I have 6 chapters, a 200 page book and 6 hours worth of videos I have to watch for my history class (BLECH). I'll get to it... I know I will I just don't know exactly when

[img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img] Good luck... it definitely makes it much more stressful when you put it off til the last possible moment... but has that helped me... NOPE!

My favorite phrases... "I intend to stop procrastinating... one of these days." And "I'm going to stop procrastinating... right after my nap." *Wink*

~Rachel
    My journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    wink

Giving up doesn\'t always mean that we are weak. Sometimes it just means that we are strong enough to let go.
    Unknown

im exactly the same Neha, i mean i have 4 mocks next week, no, 6. and im just not revising for thenm, i probs wont until at least 2morro >.<

i just get distracted by thinking about things... and work needs so much concentration tht i dont hav right now.

sorry, i cant be of much help, at all. i dont really get the whole " it wil be better if i do it later on" sorry

Jen xxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

I also was a huge procrastinator in school. I used to put things off until the last minute all the time. But I always did better on papers and tests that way, too. I'm thinking it's because when you feel the pressure of a deadline, you put more of an effort into it. I dunno. Like, when I was in college journalism classes and had an article due the next day, I wouldn't think so hard about the nitpicky things and just write. I find that if I think too hard on something, I make mistakes, where as if you just "let it flow" onto paper, it ends up a whole lot better. I leave the critiquing and revising to my teachers and peers. The final draft ends up much better that way, than if I write a paper over along period of time. Less pressure, too. I don't know if that made any sense, but I hope so!

I find it very easy to get side tracked etc. I tend to tell myself I'l do a little bit at atime so atleast i'l get started. As soon as you start something it eill get easyer to get on with it. I really should go for walk or ride my bike or something, i've been eating way to much and my trampolining lesson was cancelled!!! I'; do it eventually!!!

you know, some people actually do better work under stress. I know im that way. I study the night before a test so its fresh in my mind. I usually manage to get reports done well beforehand though.

its not always a bad thing.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Thats very interesting. I've never thaught of it like that before. I guess the pressure just makes you carry on casue you knowyou have too. I once did about 3 quarters of my coursework about 2 hours before it wa due in!!! Now that was stressful!!

Neha,

I also think some people just really do work better under pressure. It probably is not the best way to do things but in the end, you do get it done and it is usually good.

I do the same thing. I am taking a class which meets once a week on Tuesday. I find myself STARTING to do the lesson on Sunday (when I have had the whole week) and finishing it Monday night. For some reason, I just can't concentrate on it until I know I have no more time to waste. I get stressed and mad at myself every week, but I continue to operate in that mode.

I have decided not to worry about it too much because I know this is the way I am and that I will continue to do the same thing week after week. I also do better in class discussions when it is fresh in my mind.

This probably does not help you much but at least you know there are lots of other people who procrastinate and can't seem to do it any other way.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE FINALS, PAPERS AND TESTS COMING UP REAL SOON!Edited by: giff1949
    Debbie

Hey guys!!! Thanks for all of your input!!! It's SOOOO good to know that people can relate to me!! I also feel that I work better under pressure, I mean, I know I have no option but to do it, so I do it!!!! It just causes so much stress and panic attacks with me. Not to mention the whole overwhelming feeling.I hope this gets better as I progress through college!!!

I also have lots of trouble getting started on something. I need a forcefull PUSH and once I get that, I find I'm just fine!

Anyway, thanks again everyone!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt