Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: new member

Unhappy new member

Hi everyone-

I just stumbled across this site because I was getting frustrated with myself and decided to start researching what is going on. I've had this phobia my entire life with no event I can think of that triggered it. Mine seems to be fear of it anywhere in my space--my house my car etc. by anyone so much so that it is paralyzing me in my interactions with my nieces and nephew. I am in my mid 30's and I don't have kids. I love my nieces and nephews more than anything but I can't find the joy in having them over or taking them somewhere because I am constantly paraniod and anxious because kids are unpredictable. In the past I could live with it because there were no little kids in the family. But I am becoming more and more sad that I can't enjoy time with them as I would like to.

I have not looked into therapy because then I am afraid I won't be so vigilant and if something were to happen I would feel like I can't go into my house or car again. I do have cats and they sometimes do but I can tolerate that.

Anyone else experience something like this? I feel like I am the only one in the world. I even have a hard time with this website because I don't like seeing the title.

Default Re: new member

Welcome! Glad you've decided to start looking for answers. Good first step!

My phobia was just about myself getting sick so I didn't really go through what you are.

Think about the therapy again. Don't see it as you may "become less vigilant." After successful therapy you'll "become less anxious." You simply won't be as obsessed about it so it truly will not matter.

Respectfully,
    David

Default Re: new member

welcome to the forum.......you are not alone......i'm always looking at people to make sure they aren't "sick" looking.

i must admit since i've come to this site in january my anxiety level has really dropped which is a good thing

i think about therapy sometimes......but the thought of it is exhausting to me.....finding the right doctor,etc.....so i'm just working on it myself....

hope you find some comfort and help here
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.