Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Since I was going to my counselor in college and since it was free...we were only limited to soo much.

We gradually watched a video clip from the Monty Python which I do not suggest for anyone who has extreme levels of anxiety at the begining of dealing with ur phobia. We watched this at the very beginning of my phobia because that is where I wanted to start and it has always been a dream of mine to overcome my phobia so that i can watch movies with people getting sick in them. I had a quick reaction to the video clip..which was great and that lead us to speed up the therapy by using photographs...which ended up being a gradual process....this is how I found this site. But there was one site that my counselor came up with which was the best exposure site ever...www.ratemyvomit.com.....I still look it to keep myself expoused...but this was great

I had a great therapy/counseling expereince and I plan on going to my first college gallon challenge in the spring!! YEAH!!

Oh yeah mr creosote, I watched that too. *shudder* Hate that film.

I looked at ratemyvomit too, I surprised myself by actually being able to look at it without freaking out, I was almost fascinated by it because I don't actually know what it's like to v* because I haven't since I was little and I've forgotten. I did have the shakes and I felt n* after I'd looked at it though.... I wouldn't recommend it if you are in the least bit unsure about seeing a picture of someone v*

I know exactly what the both of you are talking about!!

The video clip was absolutely horrid and yet I was desensitized to it for so long that I almost find it funny...it is now tolerating to look at...but the very first time that I saw it I froze up in counseling and I started shutting down lol. My counselor had to bring me back to reality

ratemyvomit.com always made my throat tighten and my chest hurt. I expereinced a lot of differnt emotions from that website...I hated looking at it daily while in therapy because I would loose my appetite and eating food was the last thing on my list lol....but it helped me and I still look at that site to keep myself in the game!!

Like you helsbels I too have not gotten sick since I was a little girl and I have forgotten what it was like to get sick. Part of my counseling was to ask other people what it felt like to get sick and often times it helped rebuild my memory! Granted not a good memory, but I actually gained memory from those times when I got sick that were blocked out of my mind for years or fear.

I also looked up ratemyvomit and I couldn't believe it really existed! But seeing pics and actually gettig the hoel smell/hearing/visual at the same time is far different. I handled the pics okay though.

i agree with you the same desertflower

Even the thought that a website like that is out there gives me the creeps. Just reading about what is on the exposure therapy website is too much for me. I didn't like the fact that one more click and I would have seen it. I was queasy just reading the descriptions. It'll be a while until I can go to ratemyv. What's ironic is that we're using that website as a tool to get better, what would ever possess someone to want to rate it? I just don't understand. I'm getting queasy....
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

just a note - the exposure therapy website is very safe. You go there, and before you click on the picture there is a clear description of what you're going to see. And it starts out with funny pictures of eggs with faces drawn on them, is all.

ratemyvomit is for the big leaguers! I go there every once in a while just to check that I'm still cured. Yetch! I agree - what idiots send these pictures or take them for that matter?!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have also been to ratemyvomit.com. What a nasty website! Why would anybody want to do that? Weirdos out there I tell ya. Anyways, I was able to get through all of the pics in the exposure therapy link, so I decided to check that website... bad idea. I was only able to look at a couple of pics before i started to shake and get nauseous.
    <font color=MAGENTA>-Rachel</font>

just a question: what do you mean by "i was able to get through..."? Does that mean just that you were physically able to click on them and look? If so, that's not the idea.

The idea is to stare at the picture for such a long time until you're completely bored with it...maybe for several days in a row - I used to take 1 week per level when I did my treatment. The picture must eventually evoke no feelings of anxiety, nausea or disgust before you move on to the next level.

The last picture on the exposure website actually IS one from ratemyvomit...so if you're able to look at that one and feel nothing at all, then the site itself shouldn't be too bad.

The point of gradual exposure is not exposure, it's GRADUAL.

I still dont' recommend anyone go to ratemyvomit for a long, long time!

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

where is the webpage that starts off with cartoons, \???

Alex

I went to ratemyvomit.com a while back... and I could look at some of the pictures, but others... no no. I think I did it once before work, bad idea. The rest of the day, after seeing a picture I couldn't handle, I was nervous, sick feeling and just on my toes. lol. BAD IDEA. I think exposure therapy is going to be difficult for me... because I can handle it, and I can't at the same time!

Whoever thought about photographing vomit or the result of any otherbodily function and posting it on a website really is a f*****g sicko. lol. I mean, there are sites also called ratemypoo.com and stuff like that. Its really disgusting.

xoxo

Allie
    **No one knows what it\'s like behind my green eyes.**

I too went to that site to help overcome my phobia. I feel like I'm now obsessed with finding more pics because I've seen all of the pics of RMV.COM now and I have literally no reaction to them. I feel like that's not good enough. My mind says "this can't possibly be what scares you so bad" and I look for worse ones. But there aren't any. I do like that site for treatment because there are postings under each pic that make them kinda funny. Kinda a lighter side of V. I guess. But if you are not ready DON'T GO THERE!! It could make things worse. but at the same time you have to push your self a little further each time. BUT not too far.

Mindy

RATEMYVOMIT???????????????

PARDON???

NO thank you !!1

Alex,

at the top of this thread ("Treatments") is a sticky topic with the link for the exposure therapy site - the one that starts with just eggs with faces drawn on.

everyone should start there - no one should ever go to ratemyvomit without mastering the properly developed exposure therapy site first.

Mindy,

If none of those pictures scares you, you may have developed very very good "defenses" - convincing yourself that they aren't really real. IF you havea therapist to journey with you through this, I would suggest that you go there again and TRY to make yourself believe that it's you, and it's horrible, etc. In other words, "play with" the anxiety within yourself. If you rate 0 as no anxiety, and 10 as so much anxiety it cannot be tolerated, then go to the site and pick a picture and see if you can raise the anxiety above 0...then keep going - developing your imagination, until it is at a maximum of 7, then bring it down through self-talk, relaxation, positive cognitions such as "I'm ok - I'm safe...I'm in no danger" etc. AGAIN I would emphasize that this is best done when you have a therapist to help you and give you support.

For those who are looking at these sites and then feel overwhelmed during the week, obsessed with the images...you need to start with the eggs with funny faces drawn on! When I did my treatment program, I only did one picture per week....staring at it for long periods of time EVERY DAY...NEVER going on to the next until I was absolutely bored, comfortable and relaxed with the one.

Rushing the process will make you worse.

Good luck everyone!

Oh gosh I dont think I could go on ratemyvomit.com in
    this lifetime since I am extremely phobic of others being sick. And if
    I do, in this lifetime that is, it wont be anytime soon, that I can
    guarantee. The most I can even stand (then I even get a little uneasy)
    is looking at the emoticons that vomit. But nothing more than that
    other than cartoons.

Miriam

</font>

Sage,

That is a very good point. Maybe I don't associate them as real. I don't really fear myself being sick as much as others. However I am a hypochondriac as well as a germaphobe. So I do always think there is something wrong with me. It's really not that the thought of v-ing scares me it'smore that I feal ill in my stomache often. I don't have a therapist. I prolly should I don't know how good of one I can get because I'm on government medical insurance. I think I'll start with a medical doctor just to see if there is something wrong with my stomache. I think it might be IBS. Everyone in my family tells me it's all in my head, but even when I'm completely calm and don't have any anxiety at that moment I still feel a bit ill. I've been on zoloft for anxiety before and won't ever again. First of all when I was first on it for the first month and a half my anxiety was 100 times worse than before I got on it. then after that stopped, everything stopped. I fealt nothing no happy no sad no anger. I'd rather have anxiety.

I dont mean to feel any comfort on anyone's expense but
    lately I have been reading up on those who are more phobic of others
    being sick than themselves... because that is how I am and it's nice to
    know I am not alone in that. And it angers me that people, like other
    emets dont believe me about how phobic I am of others being sick since
    I am not terribly phobic of myself. Shame on them because
    whenever I hear of or know of someone else being sick, no matter what
    the reason is, that just about does it for me.

Miriam

</font>

we believe you.

when i was at my very worst with this phobia - it was ONLY others I feared. And it was absolutely horrific... I had TERRIBLE symptoms - instantaneous panic, and dissociation to a very high level.

I guess the whole time it was actually still "leftover" terror of the sight of someone else sick making me sick (in public)...but I never realized that at all, because the panic was so bad and so fast...it kind of covered up any thought of me being sick.

anyway, emetophobia can be either fear of vomiting oneself, in public only, or of seeing others...and with all three kinds it can range from mild avoidance and discomfort to extremely severe panic, like post-traumatic stress.

I think I can look at pictures, its way harder to see a video or
    it in person. I just looked at some of the pics and my hearts
    not racing or anything

I looked at that ratemyv* website, but I could only look at the first pic before I had to shut it, I might try it again tomorrow though and keep doing it unti I can look at the 1st pic and not get scared by it! :-)

Helen,

go to the link at the top of this treatments thread for "exposure therapy" and try the pictures there first - they begin with very very easy ones that are just drawings and progress very very gradually.

Good luck!

i went to the exposure therapy site. The egg picture made me laugh. The one with the punpkin made me feel anxious! i didnt think it would but it did, its so silly! its just a pumkin and its making me feel nervous! i looked at the picture for a couple of minutes then closed it. I was able to look at it, but it made me feel strange. I did not look at any more.

I am starting with a new psychologist in a few weeks and she wants to try systematic desensitisation, im really scared about it. So im determined to conquer a few of those images first.

Holly,

Take the pictures, or give the link to the psychotherapist. That's all desensitization is, really. Just those pictures. You'll start with the pumpkin. Once you get to trust and care for your therapist, and realize she's there to care for you, it will be easier to look at them either alone or in her office. She will be a compassionate, trusted, non-judgmental "parent" figure who will help you in the process. At least, that's what therapists should be.

There's no need to "conquer" anything before you go. I would look at it in the opposite way. Conquering is easier when you have someone who cares with you in battle.

I have spent some time on ratemyvomit and I just can't believe the way people are so fascinated by v. I mean who spends their time taking pics of piles of v? Not me! Anyway, I found myself able to look at most of the pictures until one day I came across a new one that this guy had posted and to say that the mess turned my stomach was an understatement. I almost threw up myself and since then I have been very very wary of that site. I don't go there very often anymore mainly because I am afraid of seeing this picture again. It was so graphic and close up and this guy just had a big grin on his face. Any of you guys seen this pic? Basically I remember the title being something about Christmas or New Year and this guy is in his bedroom surrounded by gym equipment. He is sat on the floor and in front of him is this big pile of v. He is grinning from ear to ear. The mess was so graphic I hope none of you ever have to see it. In fact I think it got removed because I haven't seen it for a while thank goodness.

I don't think this kind of exposure helps personally. It hasn't made my emet any better and if anything it has made it worse. Also if I look at the pictures I feel like I have to do it in private because if anyone caught me I would feel so ashamed and basically a complete sicko. Anyone else feel like that about this phobia?