Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Another job lost because of emet

I have just lost another great job opportunity because of my emetophobia and I am also facing the fact that I can no longer work in my chosen profession because of the high incidence of dealing with sick people. I am a protective service officer and this often extends to dealing with drunk or high individuals. I am soo disspointed that I can’t get past this fear and on with my life.
    I don’t remember anything in my past that triggered my fear of v*, only that I have been terrified of feeling and being sick since I was a very young child. I’m now 40 years old and tired of letting it dictate how I go about my daily life. This has given me fear and depression for so long now and I wont even bother to list the medications and therapies I’ve tried.
    In reference to the job situation, can anyone suggest a way to tolerate people who are sick, when it is the expectation that I stay and help?

Default Re: Another job lost because of emet

sorry you're having trouble with this...

when i'm around drunk or high people who v, what saves me from totally losing it is knowing that i can't catch it from them. i know i would still get nervous being near it, but somehow knowing that i don't have to worry about "catching" it makes it a little less scary.

i hope you can continue........if you;re passionate enough you will find a way.....i'm rooting for you

i'm also an older emet (58) and totally get your frustration.........just try and push yourself a little further each day........it will be worth it......

don't let this beat you....
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think olschesky is right if i know for certain that i cant catch it yes i might get anxious but its no where near as bad.

Can you carry gloves and a mask with you so you can have that safety factor with you ? As well as some handgel in your bag.

Im nearly 38 and yep im over this ruling my life im studying disability and part of me is thinking im an idiot as i will be exposed to S a bit when i finish and get a job in this field

Hi Shanny, I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from. I also had to stop my dream career of working in a hospital drawing blood (of which I posted earlier). I tried it and really liked it but was terrified about going into the patients' rooms, and did encounter some nauseous people, etc.
    Soooo, now I am hoping to get a job in specimen processing, not dealing with patients. It isn't my first choice, but this dammm phobia is stopping me. It has been the story of my life