Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Dramamine?

Default Dramamine?

Does anyone ever use this? I tried it yesterday and it was AWFUL!

I went on vacation this passed week and I HATE flying, it makes me feel really n*. So on the flight home I thought I'd try dramamine, my friend had used it and said it just makes you feel really sleepy.

I took one and quickly started to feel off. Then when it actually kicked in I felt soooo horrible. I was so dizzy I couldn't stand up and felt really n*, which is so odd because thats exactly what it's supposed to prevent! I'm never taking it again.

I just wanted to know if anyone had any other experiences with it, or if there is another type of it thats better (I had the regular chewables).

I have to get on another a tiny plane in a few hours and feeling pretty n* . Not looking forward to it.
    ~Claryn :3
    Listen to my conversation with Dr. Drew on Loveline about emetophobia (warning: slightly graphic, fakey v* sound effect):
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Dramamine?

It makes me dizzy and very anxious. But it does stop the v*. Maybe you are confusing anxiety/dizziness with n*? I know you've never v*, so it's hard to tell sometimes? Glad you got through it, at least.

Could be. But the dizziness was the worst!

Is there any other drug that anyone knows about that I could find in an airport that would help and not cause the anxiety and dizziness? I'm starting to feel REALLY light headed and n* (I haven't eaten all day but that has never affected me like this) and I have to get on that plane soon. Planes make me feel sick anyway, I don't want to already feel this ill then get on one!

I reeaallly really hope I'm not getting an sv*. I've been sitting in airports the last few days in close proximity with tons of people! Having an sv* on an airplane would be my absolute worst nightmare.
    Listen to my conversation with Dr. Drew on Loveline about emetophobia (warning: slightly graphic, fakey v* sound effect):
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Claryn this is probably too late but you could always try meclizine, which is often sold as less drowsy dramamine, dramamine II or Bonine. I've never had dramamine make me n* but I guess it's possible for some people to have paradoxical side effects. I just wonder if it had to do with anxiety and your fear making you dizzy since the dramamine should not, in any case the Meclizine used to be a prescription drug for vertigo marketed as Antivert here in the US, so I strongly doubt that would cause dizziness.

I love dramamine, I took it all the time for my vertigo when my Meclazine ran out. I also took it as an anti emetic multiple times.

Are you sure the dramamine caused those feelings or did it just not prevent them from anxiety?

You may find these links helpful!

I didn't even get on the plane, the flight was cancelled so I don't think it was anxiety from the flight at least. I also was completely disoriented. I barely remember what I was thinking at all, my friend said I was mumbling nonsense. I got up to go to the bathroom and I couldn't even walk, someone had to help me.

Someone told me it might be because I never take medication, so it really affected me. The only medicine I've taken in the last 5 or 6 years is ibeuprofen maybe twice in that time and pepto bismol.

Thanks! I'll test out meclizine sometime so I might use it for the next time I get on a plane.

I've always liked Drammamine. Bonine is another common one

I have used Dramamine for my air and boat travels, and I have to say it is a lifesaver! You really need to test which dosage works best for you. When I take a short flight, sometimes I only take 1/2 the recommended dosage, and it works great for me. If I take a larger dosage, sometimes there is a feeling of drowsiness, and it can be a little disorienting in the beginning.

I have been traveling a lot for my job within the last 10 years, and I always have Dramamine on me at all times.

I hope you find something that works for you, but as I said ... you might want to alter the dosage a little.

I love Gravol (the Canadian version of Dramamine) and always take some before flying/travelling as a passenger. It definitley knocks me out, but I have never been dizzy or disoriented because of it. It is even advertised to help prevent/treat dizziness, so you must have had a paradoxical reaction. I believe the most common paradoxical reaction is restlessness and agitation, especially in kids and the elderly, but that doesn't mean that other reactions do not occur. My dad is actually very allergic to Gravol- paradoxically it makes him v*. Ask your pharmacist or doctor before taking it again.
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

Hmm thats strange. The dosage said 1 to 2 tablets and I took 2. I also took it on a completely empty stomache, I don't know if that would do anything.

It was definantly more than just a little dizziness or sleepiness though, I was completely disorientated.

I've always liked drammamine, but maybe the empty stomach caused some problems. I don't think drammamine requires you to take it after eating, but I can't remember off the top of my head. You could also give Bonine a shot

Quote Originally Posted by clarync8 View Post
    I haven't eaten all day but that has never affected me like this
    You absolutely MUST eat while taking Dramamine!