Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Stephen...You are right! That is when most of us got traumatized with v!!! I have questioned the runs, and v ever since I was like 4-5...always asking my mom if I would be sick...and avoiding whatever it was at all cost, simply because she is a "milder" emet, or some sort of germaphobe.

The true terror for me (graphic) was when I was about 7-8 years old, and my mom got BADLY food poisoned. Her, me, and my brother ate a one of those "in the middle of nowhere" restaurants about an hour away from home, and my mom cried and whined the whole way home about how her stomach hurt really bad. Well, it was late at night, so me and my brother went to bed. It was maybe a half hour later, that I heard her screaming and crying to my step dad "Oh I am so sick! I ate bad food! I am going to throw --!" Then I heard her do it in the bathroom right next to my room. As she was v'ing for what seemed like forever, she cried, moaned, and was complaining that she was too weak and sick to dress herself. So, my step dad got her dressed, and took her to the ER....and she DID have food poisoning. (blueberry pie; I have never even tried that kind of pie, and never will because of that incident)

So, I am pretty sure that that episode is what terrified me and made me an emet.

I agree with you Stephen...we feel now about v, the same way we felt when we learned the fear, when we were little. We are in our "child" mind I think. Wonder how we can get rid of that!? Let me know what you learn about it at your session! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Charlotte

That rule can't work for everyone...I was not emetophobic really until 2 years ago....I was 19 years old and completely normal, then I threw up and now I'm like this.

All the times I threw up as a kid I didn't care...it was fine.
    what a horrible night to have a curse.

The last time I threw up was when I was 8 or 9 (I honestly can't remember which) and I just turned 29 yesterday, so that's a pretty long time!! And that ;ast time was the most I ever did "IT" in a single illness--twice. I made it through my childhood without any traumatizing multiple V*** instances, so I don't know why I am an emet!!

I have retched and dry heaved since then, for various reasons, but nothing has come out. I really do believe the theory of the emetic center in the brain, because I have a friend who can will herself to do IT at the drop of a hat and it just comes naturally to her and doesn't effect her at all!! And last year when I had taken a little too much Tylenol 3 and was sort of willing myself to get rid of it, all I could do was gag and retch, I can't do it, even when I "need" to!!

I have made it through 2 and a third [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img] pregnancies, and my children's and husband's stomach viruses, as well as my 3 sister's stomach bugs when I was a kid, and escaped it!!Edited by: donna1216

I believe it goes back to childhood for me. I was scared, didn't like it, and didn't know why it was happening. Just plain scared. For me, it started in 3rd grade. I was 9.

I wanted to commend everyone who posted on this thread, because I remember we did this subject last winter and there were alot who couldn't answer the question (myself included), so look how far we've come!!!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Skon,

Yea I can see where the rule doesn't apply to everyone. I
    was hoping maybe I kinda hit something here, I guess it just goes to
    the individual. Some people have problems with themselves being sick,
    some have problems have problems with others being ill, or even talking
    about it.

I just wish there was a way to track this down.

I'm seventeen and Ihaven't done it since I was three years old (I hope to God that streak will live on and on and on) and that was after I'd eaten way more than my stomach's capacity for apple slices. No trauma there. My emetophobia didn't develop until I was nine, when I first smelled "it" in my elementary school's library. The funny thing is, my sister had done it in the car a year before that incident, and at that time I don't remember smelling it orfeeling at all nervous. Maybe I had a stuffy nose.

I don't remember what it feels like--it's a dark,terrifying mystery to me. One of the worst things about my panic attacks is that I can never be certain that what I'm feeling is, in fact, nausea. So "nausea," to me, means any weird sensation at all in my throat or stomach. I know the stomach is behind the left side of the ribcage, but I don't think I've ever had an ache in that area. Whenever I get diarrhea-sick (which happens at least once each year), the pain seems to bemuch lower in my abdomen. How, exactly, do you all define "stomach ache?"

I'd say I have a strong stomach (or, thanks to years of emetophobia, a well-built resistance to my body's impulses), but I don't want to jinx anything.People keep telling me thatI'm going to have to do it someday, that it's an inevitable part of life. I don't know--Ibelieve the mind has as much power over the body as you give it. The emetic center of the brain shuts down during a panic attack, so it may bethrough subconsciouslyinducinga state of panic wheneverwe feel nauseated that many of us always manage tofend offthe "inevitable." This is one of the reasons I'm hesitant to get this treated. I candeal with the fear--it's the feared I can't deal with.

Donna 1216...I can't believe I just realized what the 1216 means!! That is my birthday, too!!! We are emet/birthday buddies!! Was yours good??

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Happy Birthday Mary and Donna!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Mary, that's funny!! I really don't think I've known anyone else with my birthday!!! Happy Birthday to you, too!! Mine was really good!! How about your's?

wow - this has been really interesting reading all the replies and theories on how or why we got emet.

2jo2 - your are right - we hve all come along way coz this kind of thread has been attemptd before and never usually takes off! for fear of jinxing ourselves!

Skon - thats really interesting what u say abt developing emet - cld it be that now there are other factors involved like depression or other anxiety problems - or was it literally that u threw up and then started worrying...?

I'm so scared to write this cause I don't wanna jinx myself but I was sick in march 2001, I don't know what from. But my stomach hurt REALLY bad. My doctor thought it was appendicitis. I didn't eat like all night or the next day. I had to go to the hospital for an ex ray and I passed out. Then I started to feel really sick and then it happend but nothing came out. It was still horrible though. But I remember feeling so proud of myself that I lived through that. After it happend, the pain in my stomach went away.

The last time I had a bug was like december 27 1993. That was horrible!!!!! ( I'm scared now[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img])It happend the same time the year before that to. I think that's when my emet started.

That's why I hate this time of year.[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Donna,

My birthday was pretty good, too! Thanks for asking! Did you know Beethoven had our birthday,too?

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."