Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Widsom Teeth (Yes, another)

I know their have been a ton of wisodm teeth posts, but I have some specific questions.

The first thing is the medication. I pretty much have only taken anything stronger than an ibeuprofen once when I needed anti-biotic in my entire life. I mean, I had a bad reaction to dramamine! I hate medication and have had a ton of bad experiences with some extremely mild ones. And now I have to take vicodin or percocet?? Vicodin and percocet make my aunt and friend's sister v*!

Second, last summer I went to an oral surgeon thinking I had to get my wisdom teeth removed then (turns out I could wait another year, though). The nurse and doctor I saw really, really freaked me out!!!
    I went in there and made SURE the surgeon and nurse new about my phobia and how bad it was. The doctor said it would " 'probably' be fine, we'll give you some anti-emetic" Then, EVEN after I told her about my phobia, while the nurse is explaining to me about the precedure she laughs and says "After you wake up from the anesthesia we'll keep you in here and let you walk around the room a bit, we would rather have you throw up in here then out in the hallway when your leaving!" She scared me so much!!!

I have to get them out next week, I've been dreading this for a year, I'm really scared
    ~Claryn :3
    Listen to my conversation with Dr. Drew on Loveline about emetophobia (warning: slightly graphic, fakey v* sound effect):
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Widsom Teeth (Yes, another)

I reacted poorly to my first dose if vicodin (after the surgery), called the doctor, and he just put me on 3x the normal dose of ibuprofen. So no worries there, just talk to your doctor about it.

It sucks that they acted like that, but I'm sure they are still responsible and professional and will do everything they can to make things go smoothly.

Yeah, the surgeon I went to said I could try ibuprofen, but that I should try vicodin first. He said he'd give me anti-n* meds with it, but i've had bad reactions to those, so I'm scared it might make the vicodin even worse.
    Listen to my conversation with Dr. Drew on Loveline about emetophobia (warning: slightly graphic, fakey v* sound effect):
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My grandma is bad with vicodin which scared me but I had mine out a few years ago and it was fine. Never felt sick never was sick from the pills. The anesthesia gave me hiccups for a bit afterward but I never felt sick. And my dr gave me vicodin and ibuprofen so I just took the latter.

I said I wanted to try to take the ibuprofen and not even try the vicodin, but he said the pain will be so bad I probably can't and will actually want to take the vicodin even if it might make me sick.

Yeah right! I'd rather be in terrible pain for a week or so then risk v*ing.

That actually could happen I guess. It all depends on the situation your teeth are in, and the skill of the surgeon.

I hardly became swollen at all, and people didn't believe that I had my wisdom teeth out, so for me the pain wasn't bad.

Mine were all impacted and I really didnt have much pain at all. The bleeding was the worst for me. My jaw felt tight and I couldnt chew food but I didnt feel pain really.

I honestly am not worried about the pain a bit. That part of it doesn't bother me at all, so I'm thinking I could probably handle just taking ibuprofen.

I just had 3 teeth removed and got T3s prescribed and I already take painkillers for fibromyalgia so I was a bit wary of mixing them. But I suffered for like 3 days and then I took them. They made me feel a bit "funny" but I can promise you that emetophobes don't vomit no matter how bad we feel from taking drugs. We have to be completely poisoned somehow (like with Norwalk or food poisoning). You'll be fine.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

If you are good with pain, then power to you. I would, however, at least get him to give you a vicodin prescription just in case you find that the ibuprofen alone isn't cutting it. Even if you don't use it, but might as well have it just in case

Hi!

When i got my wisdom teeth extracted (all 4) last year at the age of 22 going on 23 i felt like an idiot when i was crying to the nurse/my husband and anesthetist (of which my husband found amusing hehe) saying i was scared and that they were reassuring me it was natural and when i said i'm not scare about the surgery I'm scared of v* and the anesthetist was really nice (which is more than i could say for the surgeon) and he explained that the anti nausea drug they inject was really good and they use in cancer patients etc he was really understanding, and also with prescribing the painkillers after, I had what we have over here Panadine Forte which is a really strong antibiotic with codine in it, the only side effect i had was constipation which also probably goes along with the inability to eat solids!

Honestly, don't bother explaining to the surgeon, nurses or hospital staff, because part of their job is to see people sick all the time and they wont have any compassion, I'm sure if you're going under for the extraction explain your concerns to the anesthetist (Who would know alll about the side effects) and i'm sure they would be happy to help

I wouldn't stress too much about the painkillers its normal to feel a bit off but i highly doubt you will be sick from them

Sorry for the long rant and GOOD LUCK!! xx

I would just take the ibuprofen. There is no way I would take vicodin! I need to have my wisdom teeth taken out sometime soon, but I'm delaying it due to the same things you did!! :P