Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Dealing with Emet and Stomach problems

Hi!!!

Besides having Emet i also have heartburn and stomach acid problems along with irritable bowel syndrome. I have constant nausea and upset stomach. Is anybody in my situation? If so...how do you deal with it? Its a lot harder to deal with this phobia having this medical condition

Default Re: Dealing with Emet and Stomach problems

Hi,
    I'm sorry ....I know how you feel.....infact i feel sick right now and i know it's not fun at all. I have emet issues or course and acid problems too and IBS with constipation. I am always on edge and afraid of my ibs issues is really me getting sick. I am luckly enough to have anti-emetic pills given to me by my doctor. If i didn't have these I think i would be crazy lol. RIght now i'm trying to differ of what i can eat and what i can't...and i'm getting no where. One time i'll eat a bagel and be fine and the next i'll feel sick. I know I can't eat nuts or veggies. I know how you feel and your not alone.

Yep I know how you feel both!! I have terrible GI problems and since i was a kid I actually think that this is what partially triggered my emet. I have had 3 ulcers, an inflammation of the oesphagus. I currently have gastroparesis and celiac....so yea I very often have stomach aches plus nausea!! I of course have a very hard time dealing with it!! I am on medication which helps with anxiety (prozac and xanax) I am extremly careful with my diet. I take amongst other thing digestive enzymes and probiotics. I munch on ginger candy after meals. I have a menthol scente oil also I pu a couple of drops on a tissue and do some deep breathing when i start to panic, i sip very slowly some coke! ugggh its the most frustrating situation ever it just makes things ten times worse but try to relax as much as you can get enough rest. Those ar defintly triggers to GI problems. I m here to help you with any questions or support i have been plagued with this since i was 12 i am now 28!

How is your diet? I only ask because if you are not eating an awful lot or have got a very restricted diet that can play havoc with your stomach and cause acid reflux etc which makes you feel sick which makes you not want to eat which makes you feel sick and on it goes... If you are eating 3 healthy meals a day though and are still suffering you could probably do with some prescription medicines to ease the acid because it can do damage in the long term if left untreated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have this EXACT issue.

I have not been formally diagnosed with IBS but I know I have it. It makes me nauseated constantly and then that makes me panic that I will v* and it's all downhill from there. The worst part is I am hypoglycemic so when I don't eat (and I can't when I feel nauseated,) I get even more sick to my stomach and end up having a panic attack.

I haven't found anything that works really well for me just yet. Sort of waiting on a formal diagnosis and perhaps some meds. However keep some saltines and ginger ale or club soda around and try and eat some every few hours just to make sure that you have food in your system. Nausea is also a symptom of low blood sugar.

I don't have a diagnosis either for my stomach malaise.

Mostly, I've just learned to discern different types of nausea to keep from truly panicking every time I feel queasy. I mostly get air-bubbly nauseous, where I feel better when I burp or things move through my digestive system. Every once in a while I'll have a bad episode of that where I do feel like I might need to be sick, and I either sit in a bathroom or have my husband give my hand a firm massage until I calm down/feel better.

Frankly, I feel 'safe' if I'm in a bathroom by myself which allows me to calm down and subsequently feel a little bit better in my stomach without all that tension in my body.

I understand what you go through because it is a struggle nearly every day. I remember what it was like to feel good most of the time, and that makes me want to despair of every being able to be comfortable, hopeful, and happy again. But I try and keep in mind that the more I stress about my stomach, the worse I will generally feel since stress is so hard on our systems!

I've had some success with listening to very simple, quiet music that has an uplifting sound to it. I also found a meditation podcast that I can put on my ipod and listen when I'm feeling ill and mentally taxed. Even if I'm not actively doing the meditation, the woman's quiet voice and soothing background music helps calm me down. Associating calmness and the sense of 'I'm going to be okay' to a song or thing can help when you're feeling bad. Sometimes journaling out the awful thoughts that I have while I'm feeling queasy can help.

I hope something in my reply can be helpful to you, I know how hard it is to have a GI issue AND be dealing with this phobia at the same time. Good luck with it!

I feel for you......... my emet was triggered by my gastroparesis. Now that I have my stomach problem taken care of with meds, the emet has 'lessened'..... not gone away but lessened nonetheless.

I don't really have any advice, except to try to find a good doctor that can help you with your physical problems, because when you are constantly having GI distress, it constantly brings your fears to mind.

I really think my IBS all starting when i was 17yrs. I was diagnosed with borderline anorexia and all i would do was eat vegetables and work out like crazy. A couple years later i started having bad stomach problems. And here I am now...23 years old, emet, and with IBS. My life sucks.

Hi, I'm new here, but I have recently been diagnosed with Crohn's disease (a fairly serious bowel condition). When I first got ill, I went through a period where my stomach hurt so bad I was sick several times everyday. I also had to spend time in hospital in a ward where people were constantly being sick. Now my emet is slightly better in that I no longer fear being sick myself, it's like the worst has happened and I survived it. It helps that I have a strong stomach, and even when I'm really ill I can choose whether to continue feeling bad, or go to the bathroom, allow myself to be sick and hopefully my stomach will feel better. However I still freak out if someone else is ill.

Those of you who *think* you have ibs but have never sought help, please do! I know it's hard to go to the doctor's but you could turn out to have something else that you really need treatment for.

i have a friend who has ibs and one that has crohn's.....which is way more severe.........but both have found out that these are really affected by stress and anxiety........my friend with chron's can be fine for months at a time on her meds......but when something stresses her out she gets really sick.........also watching you diet is really important too. greasy, fatty foods are bad for it.....pay attention to what you eat and how your "gut" reacts to it........

hope you get things sorted out......
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am on a special diet and medication at the moment, thanks. And yes, stress definately makes matters worse. If only there was some way of avoiding all stress for the rest of my life!

I was diagnosed with gastritis (an inflamation of the stomach lining) and IBS back in January. I had been feeling very ill for over a year with stomach pains, severe n* and constipation. It all started about a month after my daughter had been hospitalized for 7 wks (1 wk in ICU) so I definitely think it was triggered by stress. I am on medication, lansoprazole and domperidone, but there are many times these dont seem to work and I still get symptoms. This illness set off my emet really badly, and after over 20 years of not being too badly affected Im now in a very bad state with it. Each time I get n* I fear that its not my underlying problems but could be a bug or something Ive eaten. I know the majority of times its just my anxiety but it doesnt help when I think Im about to actually v*. I am on citalopram anti-depressants cos my dr says it could also help my IBS as well as my anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by claire43 View Post
    I was diagnosed with gastritis (an inflamation of the stomach lining) and IBS back in January. I had been feeling very ill for over a year with stomach pains, severe n* and constipation. It all started about a month after my daughter had been hospitalized for 7 wks (1 wk in ICU) so I definitely think it was triggered by stress. I am on medication, lansoprazole and domperidone, but there are many times these dont seem to work and I still get symptoms. This illness set off my emet really badly, and after over 20 years of not being too badly affected Im now in a very bad state with it. Each time I get n* I fear that its not my underlying problems but could be a bug or something Ive eaten. I know the majority of times its just my anxiety but it doesnt help when I think Im about to actually v*. I am on citalopram anti-depressants cos my dr says it could also help my IBS as well as my anxiety.
    Claire.....I have the same problems ...my bad stomach issues started about a year and a half ago and it just has gotten worse...my gastro doctor says it just IBS but I'm always n* and i have tried to pinpoint triggers but it's so hard b/c one day something will agree and the next i can't eat it. I also have bad constipation and am on a daily laxative to help with the process but even then, sometimes it doesn't help. What where your other symptoms?

I have the exact same thing! My stomach issues may be more serious. The doctor said I might have hyperthyroidism which would make sense because I don't gain weight and I am very underweight. The real prob is- I don't know how to cope with it eaither. I missed school all day yesterday and half a day today. When i have to go I just break down crying and can't seem to stop. And no matter what I eat or don't eat- my stomach will hurt and I will freak out. I shred paper, scrach my face, and cry, all out of nervous habit. I'm so tired of it too. I can't live my life like a normal teenager. I don't go to the movies, or over to my friends house. I'd rather stay in bed for the rest of my life, or at least till my stomach problems are solved. So sorry that I couldn't answer your question, I just hope you know your not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by CharliesMom View Post
    Claire.....I have the same problems ...my bad stomach issues started about a year and a half ago and it just has gotten worse...my gastro doctor says it just IBS but I'm always n* and i have tried to pinpoint triggers but it's so hard b/c one day something will agree and the next i can't eat it. I also have bad constipation and am on a daily laxative to help with the process but even then, sometimes it doesn't help. What where your other symptoms?
    When I was 16 I started to get ill with various symptoms, mostly stomach problems and very anxious but worse of all for me was the constant n*. It got so bad that I just couldnt eat and over the course of 3 years I lost a huge amount of weight - I looked almost anorexic! Had lots of tests on my stomach which all came back clear. Eventually my parents paid to see another dr privately(we have the NHS in the UK) and immediately he discovered I had an overactive thyroid which were causing most of my stomach probs. After a couple of years on meds I eventually had to have a sub-total thyroidectomy which seemed to solve my problems almost immediately although I have to take thyroxine for life. Now over 20 years later the same kinda symptoms have recurred so of course I thought there was a problem with the 10% of thyroid gland I have left - tests have shown thats not so. After another round of the same unpleasant tests all that showed up was a stomach polyp which was removed and gastritis, My main symptoms were severe n*, pain, ranging from just an uncomfortable sensation all the way upto stabbing pain that made me cry, located just under my left ribcage which radiated around my left side to my back and even upto my left chest area and down my left arm(making me think I was having a heart attack on one occasion!). Also general lethargy, loss of appetite, dizziness(probably caused by lack of food),constipation sometimes not going for 2wks-sorry tmi!, and headaches. Dr said I probably had IBS as well but prescribed me anti depressants cos she thought I was depressed. I didnt think so but I was totally fed up of feeling so rotten every day. Anyway after I kept going back to see my dr cos nothing seemed to help for very long she did a cbc and discovered I had pernicious anemia and since having a course of 6 B12 shots in 2 wks and now one every 10wks for life I feel so much better most of the time. Of course my emet is very bad at present having felt so n* and on many times I actually thought I was about to v* that I tend to read more into the n* I feel but compared to 6 months ago Im like a new woman. Sorry this message is so long but thought Id give a run down of how my illnesses have affected my emet since my teens and Im now 44!

Hello,

I have the same problem.I have constantly nauseated.
    I use these simple steps to preventing becoming ill.

1.Ginger root tea especially for severe nausea. It helps stop it and calms the stomach

2.Mint or peppermint tea. This is good for after a meal or if you are only slightly unwell.

3. Skipping coffee, milk, fatty foods, or other things that bug me personally that I know bug me.

I would suggest getting these teas in a high potency at a herbal medical shop ect.
    They usualyl come in boxes with the bags individually wrapped. THey are highly potent. Anything else kinda sucks and has poor effects on your stomach.
    But you can also try making your own ginger root tea by boiling water with cut up ginger root.

I also sometime resort to eatting ginger root by its self if I am traveling. But its really spicy!

Thank you white pine for your advice!!

I will go to a health store and buy them =D