Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: rose parade

Hybrid View

i am SO scared guys!! ok so i am going to be in the rose parade, in band, and i live in florida and we have to fly to california and like its a 7 hour flight none-stop. i have never flown before becuause of well..obviouse reasons. i've never been this far away from home before...and to top it off we will be spending a day at six flags...nothing but rollercoasters and people getting sick >.< i know this is the chance of a lifetime, but my anxiety level will be at 10 out of 10 the entire trip and thats not something i want to remember it by. any advice???
    ..:.*Natalie*.:..

\"My strength is in my honosty\"~Fiona Apple

All I can say is you can do it!!! Once you do, you will say "that wasn't so bad after all!" I myself have a fear of flying for the simple fact that the plane may crash...but that is a typical flying fear. Are you going to be around any friends?

You just need to tell yourself that it is expected to MAYBE see someone get sick from a ride, and maybe on the plane. You will feel so good once you have conqueredbeing exposed to it! I have gone to many amusement parks, and to be honest, I have NEVER seen anyone get sick. I used to look at the people that got off rollercoasters, and other wild rides, and they would laugh and stumble around, and sometimes go on it again! I think you will be ok...just remember to expect to see someone possibly sick, and you will do fine! Hey...atleast it is not a bug that is making them sick! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]Go on....have fun!!!!! I will if you dont! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] Charlotte

Ooh, that's great! All I can say is what charzysbebe said,that you really can do it!I don't think i've ever seen/heard someone v* on a plane. Also, I find that if I'm around my friends, it really helps a lot, because they distract me and I feel safer.I also bring gum. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] And about the amusement park, i haven't ever seen someoneget sickthere, I have been to six flags and even gone on most of the rollercoasters, and I haven't seen anyone getting sick. There is alsways a possibility, but I doubt that it will happen.

sorry if that didn't help or make much sense!

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

You can definitely do it, just think about what an awesome experience that is--to be in the Rose Parade!!
    I have been to 6 Flags and I have never seen someone v****. My husband the chronic v'er can ride roller coaster after roller coaster and not be sick, I am sure you will be OKAY!! Relax and have a wonderful time!!

First, congratulations on your band getting chosen to play in the Rose Parade!! That is awesome![img]smileys/smilies_39.gif[/img]

I have flown many times, my husband flies all the time, I have never seen anyone get sick on a flight. It's always a possibility, but it's so highly unlikely. Could you ask your doctor for a prescription for some anti anxiety meds for the flight? There's no reason for anyone to feel anxious about flying at all, and the meds do help tremendously. I have the same fear as Charlotte, mechanical failure and I take Ativan, and I have a pleasant flight. Another thing you can do is bring a magazine or book so that your eyes are occupied and bring a discman with some favorite CDs so that your ears are occupied, I guarantee you will be distracted and not notice a thing. On a long flight like that you're going to take a big plane, you'll only notice the handful of people around you, if that.

Now about amusement parks.... I've been to county fairs, large amusement parks, Disney Land, Disney World... I've never seen anyone get sick. If people know they get sick, I'm sure they won't ride the roller coasters. The thrill just isn't worth it to get sick on yourself and have to walk around like that for the day, even for a non-emet! There is plenty more to do at Six Flags if you don't feel like going on the rides. You can just bum around the whole day, eat fun things, enjoy the fact that you're on vacation!!

You can do this! You'll have a great time! I went to Florida and my band played at Epcot and in some band contest in Kissimmee when I was a senior in high school. It was so much fun. Don't miss out on something just because of emet, you'll definately regret it. Have a great time! Good luck![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

believe you will get thru it... believe that whatever life throws at you, you will 'go with the flow' and it WILL BE OK!!

good luck,

Jen xxxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I too live on the east cost, In RI, and I have flown an 8 hour flight to LAX airport in Cali. It was the longest flight of my life and I was so scared. But nobody got sick, I have only flown a very few times in my life, and nobody has ever gotten sick on a flight, that I know of. I usually just bring my discman and listen to that the whole flight. It calms me down. Also, about the amusement parks, I have been on many rollercoaster before, me, an emet! I have never gotten sick once. Well I did get nauseous from this one rolercoaster at Universal Studios Island of Adventure. It was the Hulk roller coaster, but it was still awesome, and I went on it the next time we went too, but I never got sick. I don't think I've ever seen anybody get sick at amusement parks, or on planes. I'm sure you'll be fine, besides it's not like they're sick because they have a bug, so you can't catch it. Or, if you're like me and you're scared of others doing it, especially the noise, when you 're on the plane you won't hear it because of the noise from the plane and if you bring you headphones,listen to them. When you are at the amusement park, it's easy to just walk away from someone, plus there will be a lot of noise there too. Don't worry, you'll be fine!!!
    <font color=MAGENTA>-Rachel</font>
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm sure you will be fine! Tell yourself you can do, cause like you said its a chance of a lifetime! I have one of those coming up. I have to go to Washington and stay there for 10 days for this leadership thingy. I'm really nervous and scaredbut i dont wanna miss it! Never know if i'm going to get to go again!
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

YOU CAN DO IT BABY! I know you can! How awesome to go to the Rose Parade (I'm Canadian and even I know what that is ...how totally cool)

I always recommend asking your dr for ativan for the airplane ride (it's a tranquilizer AND an anti-emetic) I think that's the name in the USA. But don't take it on Rose Parade day cuz it wipes out your memory, and you will want to remember that!

I flew to Europe - 19 hours travelling altogether...it was fine. I was fine. People don't get sick on airplanes anymore than they do anywhere else. If it happens, it could have happened sitting on a bus or in a theatre or in school or at work. All places with people in them are the same - planes are as safe as anywhere else.

I hope you can do it!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

thanks so much guys, you've really brought up my confidence level 5 1/2 mile parade..clarinets!!! ya'll remember to watch my band ok?? we are the 8th item in the parade and the FIRST HIGHSCHOOL BAND in the parade =D!! Seminole Highschool Warhawk Marching band! comes on 11:00 EST and if you watch it on HGtv its comercial free!! thanks again everyone, and i hope everyone has a happy emet-free holiday!!!!!!
    ..:.*Natalie*.:..

\"My strength is in my honosty\"~Fiona Apple