Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Stomach Flu

Default Stomach Flu

My boyfriend stayed at a friend's house last night and SMSed me this morning to say that he V*d and is really not well. I feel sad for him, but I'm also really worried that if he has an illness, I'll get it too.
    I'm on a special diet at the moment, so if it's like food poisoning, I'm safe, but if it's something contageous, I've had a lot of contact with him the last few days. How long should I stay away from him for, and how likely am I to have got some kind of bug from him already?

Default Re: Stomach Flu

The good news is that if it is a stomach virus you can't get it before the sickness/diarrhoea starts so you are 100% in the clear.

If you look in the information section there's an article on norovirus explaining exactly how it can/can't be caught but basically you have to actually ingest (swallow) sick or infected poop particles so as long as you wash your hands before putting your fingers in your mouth or eating then you will be ok.

I wouldn't let him prepare you any food for a few days, but you are fine kissing him and things, as long as he has cleaned his teeth and gargled with mouthwash (i'd day about 10 pints of it lol) so there's no particles in his mouth. it's not transmitted in saliva or coughs/sneezes.

Hope he feels better soon and try not to worry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh, thank you so much! I feel a lot better about it now then! So whether he has a virus or food poisoning, I shouldn't get it either way?

I've not gotten sick for over 10 years, and the idea actually paralyses me with fear! I miss him already, so I hope he gets better soon too!

No worries Yes as long as you don't swallow his sick/poop particles you will be fine.

If you are going over to his place i'd maybe give the commonly touched surfaces (light switches/remote controls/door handles/taps/loo flusher etc) a wipe over with some bleachy water as that will kill any rogue particles that he may have transferred.

As long as you wash your hands for 20 seconds (2 rounds of happy birthday) with soap and warm water that will completely rinse off any particles too.

he may not even have a virus but if you work on worst-case-scenario at least you know you're covered

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You should be fine so long as you didn't ever touch your eyes, ears, mouth, or face if/when you touched and surfaces around his home/car/whatever. That's generally how v* bugs spread.

I'd