Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

My Mum lives in a residential home. When I got there this morning I was told she'd been sick after her breakfast but she seemed fine. The carer felt she'd had a cornflake stuck in her throat and coughed that much that it made her sick. She was fine afterwards and ate her dinner. We went to my nephew's 21st birthday party this afternoon and she ate there too.

However, when I took her home she was just having some supper and had had a bit of wine when she started coughing. We all assumed she was just coughing and nothing else, there was no wretching, she didn't complain of feeling sick or being in any pain and all at once she was sick all over her knee.

Both me and one of the carers took her to her room to clean her up and undress her. The carer said that some of the residents on another floor have all had tummy bugs so there's something going round. I told her about my tummy being off on Tuesday when I had bad stomach pains and the runs. Mum is fine now and hasn't been sick since and says she doesn't have any pain at all. The carer said that if it is a bug it usually is airbourne and everyone in the home gets it, including the staff.

Mainly I upset for Mum as I hate seeing her unwell and I do wonder what it is (though my guess is that it is a bug or just one of those things as she seems fine in herself), also if it is a bug there's the usual fear of will I catch it - or have I had my share with having that stomach upset on Tuesday so am I safe from it now?

aww, im sorry to hear about ur mum...

im assuming ur mum being in a residential home is going to be an elderly lady and her immune system will be much lower than urs... therefore, keep taking ur vitamins and u may be able to fight it off urself!

hope ur mum feels better sn, tke care,

Jen xxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thats a strange one becasue in one way it doesn't sound like a bug becasue she wouldn't have been able to eat at your nephews party and also teashe would have been sick straight away after eating.its sounds like she keeps on making herself sick through coughing.......its a hard one as there are alot of bugs going around....i know we have 6 wards in my local hospital closed due to this norwalk virus......but as long as u kept your hands clean u should be ok........lets keep our fingers crossed..........and i hope your mum feels better soon........dear of her,its so hard to c our parents ill,its funny becasue we expect them to be the strong ones and never get ill,but when they do u feel like they are so hopeless

take care vicky x

It's also very rare for a stomach bug to be airborne, unless one "ingested" (for lack of a better word) flying saliva or mucous.

The same thing happened to my grandmother last Thanksgiving. She
    choked on a dinner roll, and got sick. Your mothers age may have
    something to do with it also. It is like children...they are sick
    a lot more often then adults. I aslo agree with donna, stomach
    bugs can only be passed through physical contact. I hope she
    feels better soon. Carrie

I have been doing some research into tummy bugs and the Norwalk Virus, and it would seem that most of them are not airborne at all. But are transmitted through fecal matter. So simply washing your hands can prevent a lot of worry. I know it helps me to feel better about not catching things. Take care and try not to worry yourself sick.

Anna

Thanks for all your replies. I think it is a bug that my Mum has had as this morning she had the runs. She hasn't been sick since though and now her tummy seems more settled and she's been eating OK all the way through it.

I'm not so worried about catching it now as I feel I had it on Tuesday so its been and gone with me, though I would be panicking if I hadn't had it.

These bugs are always a worry though as they do seem to get round very quickly.