Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Trying to gain weight

Hi everyone.

This is my first post here. I have suffered from this phobia for 15 years or more and seem to struggling more at the moment than I have before.

My question is that I would like to know if others here are struggling with their weight due to emetophobia? I am seeing a dietitian but cant seem to eat enough to gain some weight due to my controlled eating. I eat 5 or 6 times a day but have trouble knowing when I'm full and stop myself from eating as much as I probably should.

If anyone can help in any way, that would be appreciated x

Default Re: Trying to gain weight

Maybe you could try getting some extra calories from things like sugary drinks ( i know the dietician would probably have a fit at that suggestion!!!) or chocolate? I know they are not things you would want to overdo in the long term but if it's a means to putting on some weight then it's worth a go.

Or what about those build-you-up drinks?, i don't mean the body builder ones but the ones you can get from the chemist for convalescents, they have a good 400/500 calories per drink. or try diet shakes i know they're for losing weight as a meal substitute but if you took them WITH meals they would help plus they have all your vitmains minerals in too.

I'm sure with the dieticians help you will naturally gain weight so maybe discuss any plans with her first so she knows what you are doing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you, i really want to try all these things but I have trouble in knowing what is the 'normal' amount to eat, if you know what I mean. I guess only I can get over the anxiety and just do it! I have found spending time with other people and watching how much they eat is helpful, and surprising too! I am the only person at a meal who never eats a full plate of food.

I am currently in the same situation in terms of losing weight. This has been a bit of a theme through out my life. At one point I was hospitalised and was told that your stomach is as big as one of your hands in a fist with the other hand wrapped over it (I hope you can get the visual). So a meal a little smaller than that is ideal. I don't know if that is true but it has helped me put on weight in the past. Having said that if you feel anxious eating so much, I think small regular meals are better as they are easier to cope with in terms of the anxiety, so the 5 or 6 meals a day sound good. The drinks for convalescents are also really helpful, I have tried that too. Oh and nuts. Good source of protein and healthy fats and you can snack on them. Good luck!!!

Yes, protein shakes would probably help!

Hello, (and welcome to the site!)

I'm a recovering anorexic from emetophobia. In fifth grade, I weighed about 54 lbs. I was very sick for a long time until my parents decided that I needed to get better. After speaking with my school therapist (whom I lied to about why I wasn't eating), I went to see my family doctor.

Basically, I had to eat lunch privately with my teachers (because of my social and eating anxiety) to make sure I was eating everything. It was tough. Sometimes I'd stop eating because I felt n*, but, as were my mom and doctor's instructions, I had to eat my meal.

In addition, I was also drinking 'Boost', which is a breakfast shake. There are different kinds, but the one I was on was to bulk up athletes. It's been five years and I've managed to gain 40 lbs. but am, unfortunately, falling back into my old fears. While I still do eat, I find myself not able to finish dinner as I used to.

Best of luck!

- Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I used to eat a ton in the past and weighed only 100 pounds. Now I don't eat too much...I'm too scared! I always eat a lot for breakfast, but I barely eat dinner and sometimes I eat good lunch. I still only weigh 98 pounds, so I'm not sure if I just have a good metabolism or what! Lol. I was thinking about trying nutrition shakes to gain a couple of pounds. For my height I'm supposed to weigh 12 pounds more than I do! I would try shakes and smoothies and see if that helps you.

Sugary drinks and chocolate will only add to you in terms of fat unfortunately.

What Paulinek called "body builder" drinks actually can help though. Simply because in an easy drink, which doesn't fill you up much, you can take in about 25 grams of protein. Do that twice a day and you've added 50 grams of protein to your diet without really feeling any significant amount more full.

I have a terrible time trying to gain weight. It seems that anything that would help me to gain is something that upsets my stomach. I take it one day at a time at this point. I did however find that a few years ago when I was managing my stress really well I managed to gain some weight and keep it on for about a year. I think that is very important. Currentley, I am eating lot's of avocados, rice cooked with half waer and half coconut milk and taking a protein drink called spiruteen. I find that this protein drink does not upset my stomach because it contains no whey( something that people who are sensitive to dairy should not consume) Good luck!

ooh kyphie...i just started drinking a protein shake that is whey and i recently found out I was lactose intolerant. last night I had a shake after my workout, my ears were itchy, throat was burning and itchy and I got really nauseas then the anxiety kicked in. I would like something that is really good. How does your taste? I am looking into the hemp protein shakes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ann32 View Post
    ooh kyphie...i just started drinking a protein shake that is whey and i recently found out I was lactose intolerant. last night I had a shake after my workout, my ears were itchy, throat was burning and itchy and I got really nauseas then the anxiety kicked in. I would like something that is really good. How does your taste? I am looking into the hemp protein shakes as well.
    The one I take tastes pretty decent. It's a powder that comes in three or four flavors (chocolate, vanilla etc.) I just blend it up with water, some ice and a bananna. If you are lactose intolerant look for one that contains a different protien than whey, mine is made from pea and soy protein and has about 85 calories per serving.

I'm trying to gain weight too. I currently weigh around 102, and I just can't seem to pack on any more weight. I'd like to gain about 10 pounds or so, but eating is such an ordeal at times with stomach troubles and emet issues. I found a site that helps track calorie intake - so far it's really helped me keep track of how much I really need to eat everyday. I'm shooting for 2500 calories a day, and will also start doing a targeted workout 3 days a week. I've found that by exercising for at least 30 minutes (walking especially) it really helps to increase my appetite. Here's the site: http://www.myfitnesspal.com Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by angel lovejoy View Post
    I'm trying to gain weight too. I currently weigh around 102, and I just can't seem to pack on any more weight. I'd like to gain about 10 pounds or so, but eating is such an ordeal at times with stomach troubles and emet issues. I found a site that helps track calorie intake - so far it's really helped me keep track of how much I really need to eat everyday. I'm shooting for 2500 calories a day, and will also start doing a targeted workout 3 days a week. I've found that by exercising for at least 30 minutes (walking especially) it really helps to increase my appetite. Here's the site: Hope that helps

Hi everyone. I am also new here, just signed up. I have the same problem with not being able to gain weight. I've never been as thin as I am at the moment (that's also been due to stress but the phobia isn't helping). I get periods when it's easier and I managed to start gaining weight but it takes so little to make it all go wrong again. Very frustrating. I'm so glad I found this place, it nearly made me cry because for the first time in all these years that I've had this I felt there's hope I can overcome this.

(edit: had to remove the link from the quote or it wouldn't let me post )

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out now

Oh and for the original question..I find that eating slowly also helps. I tend to eat fast - usually because I am a bit over-hungry but taking it easy will fill me up in a nicer way. I know that feeling of not being able to tell wether you are just full or starting to feel sick.

Does anyone know of a drink (like ensure or boost) that won't upset someone who is lactose intolerant? Ensure is lactose free, but it has whey...which someone said isn't good for lactose intolerant. I would love some drink choices as I really need to gain some weight for this pregnany!!