Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: weight

I really am not saying this to offend anyone but I really think that we shouldn't focus on each other's weight so much. Because of the discussion of weight, one of the other members was convinced that she should become anorexic. I myself am struggling with anorexia, and it is no game. It is dangerous and can kill you. Some of us are thin, some are normal, and some are larger. That isn't a bad thing. In anycase we are here to support each other with emetophobia. I'm just saying we shouldn't be so concerned with numbers. Please don't be angry at me for saying so.

Anna

Its good that you mention it because now that I think about it, you're definitely right. This is about supporting one another for this phobia. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]Well done for coming forward, and I hope you beat anorexia!!

xoxo

Allie
    **No one knows what it\'s like behind my green eyes.**

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

you cant be convinced that you "should become anorexic" u either ARE or you ARENT. what the hell that statement is TWISTED. its a DISEASE not something u can BUY.

if u dont wanna talk about ur weight, or if anyone else doesnt, then dont look at the weight posts.

emetophobes are often anorexic. they dont have anorexia nervosa but they are anorexic. therefore, if the topic happens to be discussed, it has every right to.

thts my opinion.

Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i can see both sides of the..*don't wanna blow this outta context here,* argument, but generally id say that our weights are perhaps, too controversial to be discussed on here?
    Pleease don't get me wrong, thats not to say "don't discuss your weight on this website" no no, im just bearing in mind that..many people are going to read about other people's weight in proportion to their heights, and then feel conscious about their own weights..it'slike opening a can of worms..
    i think it's important to stress to anyone who may get concerned about they're own size after reading these posts..that everyone is different.
    Some people have a larger frame, some people have heavy bone structures, many people like me..have big builds in the family (especially on my dad's side) others,may have a slower digestive system,or may be on medication or whatever which naturally increases their weight..it's all relative.
    i think everyone has raised some good points, but it's important to stress that, everyone is going to perceive posts about weight differently, and therefore, whether we like it or not..someonewill take offence.

I'm sorry to have offended you Jenneh. I was certainly not wanting to tell people they couldn't speak freely here, but I was upset by seeing someone feeling that they were too fat. I have struggled for years with anorexia and I would hate for someone else to go through it. (By the way, my anorexia is not just from being emetophobic.) So I apologize. I want everyone to feel they are beautiful and that size isn't everything.

Anna

I see both sides as well, but everything cannot be banned. there is a respectul way to answer a question about someones weight, and everyone should consider what they say. I dont think we should critize the topic of coversation, but maybe talk to the person who made us feel unfortable instead.

If you are bothered by the posts, you have every right to say so. however, you cannot expect to change the board. I also understand that anorexia is a touchy subject for some, and that if someone feels they need to be anorexic, we should take every effort to help them.... but sheltering them from a conversation that you may hear down the street, in the mall, in a resturant, walking the dog, is just not going to work.

~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Anna, as much as I support your post and love the idea of people not being self concious (sp) about thier weight, you have to admit, it is very very very very hard to do so in the society we live in. I'm 20 years old and weigh 115lbs, I don't wear short sleeve shirts because I'm tired of people telling me to eat, call it vain, but eh. Society is all based upon imagery, it's all about visuals. I always tell people I'm comfortable in my skin, but to be honest, I thinkbecause of how skinny I am that Ilook disgusting and horrid, because in reality, I do (I saw myself in the mirror [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]). But, I do always try to help people feel better about themselves, cause I'd rather someone else feel good about themselves than me feel good about myself..yea I'm done ranting =)
    AIM - r311dude (don\'t be shy, I love to chat)

I agree, anorexia is not a choice for anyone, it is a disease just like any other such as cancer. You do not choose to be anorexia!! Its a mind thing, a preoccupation, putting up a post will not make anyone anorexix. I pity anyone suffering from an eating disorder. its horrible because that is all that can be on your mind all day. You are the center of attention at all family gatherings, everyone looks at what you are eating. Im putting my family though hell right now. I havent eaten dinner in over a year. My daughter begs me to sit down and eat dinner, but I just cant!! Does this sound familiar to anyone??? If anyone wants to know the true meaning of what anorexia really is... its this... We feel as if we cannot control anything else in our lives so we can control what goes in our mouths and that the satisfaction we get!!

skinnyme: i'd be overly happy honestly to get to know you a bit better and support each other. my MSN/AIM addresses are in my sig.. please please think about getting into contact if you want.

Jen xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

MSN:

I never once said reading the posts would make a person anorexic. Believe me, I know first hand about anorexia. I only meant that it wasn't so necessary to focus on numbers. I know it certainly doesn't help me. I can't weigh myself at all now because I get too obsessive about it.

Anna

ok well ill just add my bit....then shut up! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

at the end of the day anything within reason can be posted her and noone can be responsible for the way some else reads/interprets something. If anyone wanted to 'become' anorexic or not eat or felt they wanted to be thinner then they can just as easier go visit some pro-ana sites - for some'thinspiration' hey...

at the end of the day ANYTHING written on the site can be influential - it was for me when i first came and i used to have to take breaks form here - i once read that someones friend or whoever got food posoining from eating a food from a tin can - and since reading that - i was so obsessed with cans and tinned food...

it cld be said that when we have threads abt days we v*ed/foods we avoid - then anyone of us cld use that info in a way that may be considered unhealthy - as in influential in a negative way....

Well I guess I am one of the token larger emets. I
    logically know I am not obese or anything but I'm still overweight. And
    I have tried everything, my metabolism is as fast as a turtle. It
    doesnt help that I have a larger bone frame either. I've been known to
    pop in diet pills like candy which I am still trying to wean myself off
    ot doing, and abusing laxatives and it messes things up. I have tried
    low carbs, eating carbs earlier in the day, (was told by my dr that
    could help speed up the metabolic rate) but really it didn't. At times
    I have gotten so frusterated that... well even though I am a lot less
    phobic of myself throwing up than I am of others, I am still more
    phobic of myself than anyone who isnt an emet... and have considered
    doing the binging and purging thing but... still don't have the guts.
    It frusterates me to no end, yeah I know having kids adds weight on but
    I see mothers who have had kids and dont struggle with their weight
    like I do, gosh I would LOVE to know what their secret is because I
    have tried EVERYTHING! And yeah you can tell I am frusterated right?

Miriam

</font>

Miriam, I do understand what you are going thru. But i do suggest Weight Watchers. Good old fashioned weight loss!

I am a lifetime member of WW losing almost 80lbs after my second baby. Unfortunatly I have gone overboard with the weight thing and now everone is telling me to gain weight. But really, this is a great program!! There is no food restrictions and is easy to stick to because you can eat all types of food. Please check it out, its also safer then pills, etc. Good Luck!

I totally sympathise Miriam! I'm mildly emetophobic and I'm overweight. Having said that I've been slightly overweight all my life, and emetophobia has made no difference to my weight because I like food too much. Last summer I was nearly 4 stone overweight and decided enough was enough, so since then I've lost 2 stone just eating healthily, kinda low carb but not totally, and exercising loads at University. I used to do diets like weight watchers but they weren't quite for me as I don't like counting points etc, or counting anything when I eat. But if it works for you, go for it!

But what fun is counting carbs sweetie???

To each his own, but we all need carbs!!!

just curious as to what "stones" mean???

I've tried WW too and I lost extremely slowly ... I dont
    get it though, I know a lot of "larger" people and they seem not to
    care about their weight, but with me, I base it on everything. Its
    stupid really... but my metabolism is too slow. I wish there was a way
    to speed it up.

Miriam

</font>

Oh Kazzia, I am extremely phobic of others being sick,
    not so much myself but more so than the average non emet. How does the
    emet affect you? If you are less phobic of yourself being sick then you
    can be more afraid to eat, but maybe not always...I dunno it doesnt
    make sense, not much really does lol

Miriam

</font>

there is.. apparently exercise speeds up ur metabolism.. APPARENTLY. whether its true or not... bleh who knows.

stones is a measurement of weight. dont know the conversion rates.. bt they'll b on the internet.

Jen xxxx

MSN:

Well if that is true, I would like to know what it is
    because I need to do something to speed it up.... its genetic in my
    case so I dont know</font>

One stone is 14 pounds...guess it's just a British thing!

I eat carbs still, just have brown bread and brown rice instead of white. (Actually don't like white bread anyway).

I'm more afraid of myself being sick but my phobia isn't anywhere near bad enough to stop me eating (unless it was a dodgy salad bar/dodgy looking food etc). I'm stuffing mince pies into my mouth as I write!

I got overweight from taking Effexor and have hada HARD time losing it... I did low carb this year and lost most of it (26 pounds) and went back on carbs... gained it all back!!!

I'mterribly phobic of others v*ing too, so I'm not afraid to eat food I make. I also don't like the hunger feeling and feel better if my stomach is not empty. I completely understand your struggles, fellow larger emets!

In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11