Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Needing some Advice

I have severe panic attacks when I hear someone, see someone or even know that someone has or is about to throw up. The last couple of years I have found that it's getting worse. Not only is my fear about hearing, seeing or even knowing about someone else but also myself. I can't throw up around anyone, I can't even stand throwing up myself. When It comes to me throwing up, I get really angry, and irritable, I take my promethegan or my mclezine so I don't get sick. I lock myself in the bathroom so that I can be alone and keep my mind off my stomach, and if I do get sick then I'm by myself. I have been trying my best to do what I can but I also do have a motility disorder called IBS. I have 3 kids and they can't help when they get sick, but I just get so mad and angry about it. Is there anything that I can do to help with the anxiety and the panic attacks? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Default Re: Needing some Advice

sorry i just saw your post today........you sound alot like me.......all of the above make me really nervous and anxious.

i try to find distractions......crossword puzzles, i play trivia in a chat room that recquires full attention....things like that.

lots of emets have ibs which makes sense to me........once you can get your anxiety more controlled the less ibs flare ups.

i take prozac which has totally helped with the constant obsessing about v...........i also have valium for the hard times.......

hope i gave you few ideas......and again, sorry it took so long to respond
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi Juniormint
    I also only saw this today. I hope you return to read our responses. Please be assured there IS treatment for this disorder. You can get details about that on my website (link below) or in the 'Information and Research" section of this website.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I am also on Prozac, and at first it seemed to help, but now I'm not so sure. It still helps with my anxiety and stuff, and the main reason they put me on it was for help with the digestive system. I guess it's supposed to help. I thought at first maybe it was helping but like I said now it's kinda up in the air. I'm also on ranitidine some type of drug for heartburn. I get so frustrated dealing with this and so does my family. If I am sick to my stomach I clam up and get kinda mean with people. I hate getting sick in front of people. I have been through counseling and that didn't work at all. And someone told me to go through maybe some some therapy to Expose me to it! The sound of that just fears me and seems to make it worse. I don't see how exposure therapy to something like this would even help me. I can't look at pictures or anything like that of someone getting sick. I feel completely lost and hopeless. But being sick on top of it with IBS and that, along with some stress in life is totally ruining my life. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Juniormint,
    Exposure therapy is very very gradual and begins with the easiest things to look at such as the word itself or a stick man with a line coming out of his mouth. In my treatment program I have over 50 pictures that go very gradually to more and more difficult. If you go to my website (link below in my signature line) you can read all about the treatment program. I hope you can get the help you need
    Take care and good luck
    Sage
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.