Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Annoying nurse during surgery!!!

I posted this in another thread but it made me so mad I felt it needed it's own!

The nurse I had during my oral surgery made me so so angry today. She made me angry last year when I thought I had to get my wisdom teeth out but actually didn't have to, too! I shouldn't have gone back to the same place, apparently.

I made it very clear to her right when I walked in that I had a horrible, crippling phobia of v*ing and I wanted to make sure I had an anti-emetic in the IV. I told her this on the phone. I told her this in the waiting room. I told her when I was sitting in the chair. When she asked if I was nervous, I said, "I really, really am. But only about the possibility of v*ing afterwards."

Before we started and the nurse was taking my blood pressure I mentioned I was excited about going to a concert in a few days and I was hoping to be reccouperated by then. Then, we go through the procedure and I wake up and walk around and I'm fine, then the nurse comes in and says "Oh, and we ended up not putting the anti-emetic in your IV." I was pretty out of it so I didn't freak out as I would have if I hadn't just woken up from anesthesia, so I just ask, "Why not? I specifically asked for it." She says, "Well I knew you wanted to make it to that concert tonight so I didn't want to put anything more in the IV that could make you more groggy." I reply, "I said the concert was in a few days." She looks slightly surprised and says "Oops! I guess heard you wrong."

Yeah. Right. Thanks for asking my permission before going and just deciding not to do something I specifically asked you to do a million times and made it clear I have a terrible phobia about it. Ugh!

Oh and something odd happened right before I went under the antesthesia. They injected the medicine into the IV, then a few seconds later I suddenly felt horribly n*, dizzy, and sweaty. I felt bile rising in my throat and like I was about to gag. I sat up straight and gasped and the nurse asked me what was the matter. And thats all I remember before I woke up! Really weird.

And my wisdom teeth came out with no problems! I'm in pretty bearable pain, so I don't need to take the Percocet, which is such a relief because was scarying me so bad that I would get sick from it even though I have Phenergan too (saving that for a rainy day!!!!).

End of story, I hate that nurse with a passion and am NEVER going back there for anything.
    Last edited by clarync8; 08-14-2010 at 02:35 AM.
    ~Claryn :3
    Listen to my conversation with Dr. Drew on Loveline about emetophobia (warning: slightly graphic, fakey v* sound effect):
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Annoying nurse during surgery!!!

that nurse does suck.........but glad you are feeling good
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I take that back... it's 4:55 am and I haven't slept all night. I HAVE to sleep on my side or stomach but I have to sleep with my head forward and propped up after the surgery!

I'm in soooo much more pain... it hurts so bad I don't know what I to do! All I want to do is sleep. I havent slept more than an hour in the last 2 days.

I really, really don't want to take the Percocet!!!! I was looking up online how often it causes v*ing and found so many horror stories even with Phenergan! I couldn't handle this pain and exaustion WITH v*ing. It'd kill me. And Ibeuprofen isn't doing anything. I'm on anti-biotic too which is already making me feel n* in the first place!

I don't know what to do. I have to drive on a road trip on sunday. I can't not sleep. But I can not bring myself to take those pills.
    Listen to my conversation with Dr. Drew on Loveline about emetophobia (warning: slightly graphic, fakey v* sound effect):

That nurse is so terrible! I can't even imagine that ): .

I'd be scared to take the Percocet, too. I know a few girls who have had their wisdom teeth out and they've had unbearable pain but only for a day or two, then it gets better. I hate to tell you this but both had bad experiences with the percocet & getting sick : /

If your able to deal with the pain keep on doing your ibuprofen, and get some movies and try to get as comfortable as possible!

Sorry about the bad experience! I think the sudden reaction when the IV went in was probably nerves. I know I ask them to put me under before the IV even goes in because of that reason.

I think it might have been nerves from the medication though, because he put the IV in then didn't inject the medication for a few minutes and I was perfectly fine until I started to feel the anesthesia he injected working.

That's totally understandable. I mean think about it, putting people under is completely against all our natural instincts. Our brain probably doesn't know what to think of it, and reacts adversely for a bit until your out

I personally would make an official compliant about that nurse...she is not doing her job properly and if you tell them you have this awfull fear and then say what you asked for and what she didn't do...they would and should come down quite hard on her...I also would have ended up slapping her,I really would oh..how dare she not listen to such a disabling phobia...very bad nurse,she needs the sack in my eyes.