Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default very dissapointed now...please read!!

I have read a certain post and i feel cheated and now even more insecure than i did before.I have had emet since i was 6 and i am now 25...I last vomited when i was 8 years old.I suppose i have always really really hoped and believed that when i was to be sick again (which will probably be sooner rather than later) that after actually V* I would maybe feel that it wasn't worth worrying about for all these years...but as the person in the post has said...after actually getting sick while camping,she still feels just as afraid...and other posts answering her also said,that we its not the case to feel better about V* after actually doing it.My cognitive behaviour therepist also believes that i will not be so worried afterwards...so i just thought i would get lucky.I am now writing this with tears rolling down my face,because its dawned on me that i will have this phobia forever.I am so horendously depressed,i want to leave this world now,i don't want to carry on anymore.

Default Re: very dissapointed now...please read!!

somebody please talk to me.

http://www.emetophobia.org/showthread.php?t=22083

I initially suffered anxiety after my v* incident but feel great now. Maybe my thread will help?
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

well u are brave..and u are now over ur emetophobia....and i am not brave and i am not over it..but im happy for u.xx

I'm not trying to show off I just wanted to reassure you that it is possible and I'm not that brave lol
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I've read that people have been cured of emetophobia after they vomit. Those who have been cured viewed vomiting as an opportunity to overcome their fear. Those who are not cured by vomiting usually don't view it in this way. Please don't give up! My 11-year-old daughter has emetophobia and I want hope for her also! Have you tried the Emetophobia Recovery System? We are not through it yet, but when my daughter gets scared I tell her ok...you have the fear that is inside you, but don't let your outside body tense up and react to the fear because that is what causes panic. I have her sit like a rag doll and lift her arm to make sure it is floppy and then BREATHE slowly and deeply 10 times. It is impossible to not relax if you are actually doing the work of relaxing. It doesn't always work, but it has helped tremendously. When she starts tensing up again we start over. It is the RIDE technique...Release, Inspect, Don't Struggle, Encourage. It is HARD to change the way you've been reacting to a fear for 20 years, but it is possible. It won't be perfect, but it is possible!! We have to have hope! It is going to take work, but it will eventually get easier. Emetophobia is like any other phobia, the problem is you can't get away from the thing that is causing the fear...but you have to learn to manage it. Keep working!

I just started using Joseph Clough's Overcome Emetophobia app on the iPhone. It's helping me wonderfully! I think he also sells the MP3 on his website. It's a hypnotherapy session.

Don't give up hope!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jadepanic, I really do understand how your feeling! I have had this since i was about 12 and im now 27. There is not a day that goes by when i dont feel S* and i also feel like im never gonna get better. This is taking over my life now to the point where i cant move out of my family home or start a family with my partner.
    I start counselling on Friday and i have everything crossed. You not alone jade!! I feel for you jade i really do x

Hippy chick I was not saying u were showing off...I really am glad for you...and I was the one who said about the joseph clough I-phone app,I have been using it for a while now.And Ameghino,I feel for you...i live in our own home with my husband and 3 children,but having 3 kids all under age of 3 and trying to cope with such an awfull phobia is more than stressfull.They need full attension and unfortuanatly giving them attension does not take the focus off my severe panic dissorder or my fear of vomiting.But i know how you feel as i need my mum for reasurance constantly,i don't know what i would do without her as my husband is nice sometimes about it but also sometimes he doesnt have a clue and can get shitty with me.So its a horrid time.I will never be free from this ever.

I've been working on my fear to the point I don't worry about it anymore unless actually confronted with someone vomitting in a close promixmity to me, so on the one hand, I will never stop being afraid, but on the other, I now don't worry about it at all anymore unless someone gets ill, I'm nothing like I used to be and I enjoy life without worrying all the time, for some the phobia simply can't be cured, but you don't know if that's the case for you yet and even if it is, it sure as hell doesn't mean you have to live a life of misery
    I'm guilty of being innocent

yes but my main fear isnt of someone else vomiting (even though that too of course is very unpleasant) its of myself vomiting...so where you can say that the chances of being confronted by someone throwing up are probably low...I cant say the same about myself,as I have to live with me,and I could vomit and have panic attacks wherever and whenever...and I do have panic attacks ALL the time.and it is a misery and always will be!!

I have only discovered that emetophobia is what is wrong with me. I have lived with this since I was probably 3 or 4 years old and could never put into words or define it. You are not alone and I too suffer an agonizing torture of fear, nausea, and anxiety before I have to eat and after I eat. I have thrown up many times and it never helped but reinforced my fears for up to a week afterwards. Then the fear slowly settles but never goes away. If you wish talk, I am here.

I know exactly how you feel, my fear of others being ill is because it means I may be at risk of getting ill myself! The thing I fear most is feeling ill and not knowing if you're actually going to be ill, you need to learn to trust yourself and know when you are going to become unwell for real and what's anxiety and panic, no easy feat, I'm still pretty much an OCD but I've managed to control my fear to a point that I can still manage in life!
    You said you have 3 kids, what an achievement! I would never have the guts to go through 1 pregnancy let alone 3! How did you have the strength and bravery to confront it?

because I have alwanted to be a mother...and when i fell pregnant first it was with twins but i sadly miscarried them at 4 months,i did feel quite sick but my mum and partner always woke me in the morning very gently and slowly with a hot cup of ginger tea and 2 rich tea biscuits....after the miscarriage i was so unhappy i decided to get pregannt again straight away.again i felt sick and groggy,but so sick where i new I would be sick...for some reason i just new i wouldnt actually V*....and again my mum gave me the same treatment,as me and my partner were living at home with my mum back then....I gave birth to my first daughter and i was in such pain,i had all the drugs poss except gas and air as that can make u sick...I then had my second daughter and then my son,and i had no morning sickness at all and i have never V* while actually giving birth...Its not as comman as people think about the whole sickness during pregnancy thing,u only hear about if from mothers who have been extremly lucky...u never hear of the cases where people didn't get morning sickness...and theres so much out there to help you with morning sickness now a days.xx

Wow! See you've been through much already and got what you always wanted, I'm so pleased for you! Don't lose hope! xx

Thank you IceMaiden...xx

Jade - please don't think that you will have this phobia forever just because of what you've read. While it's true that the act of vomiting doesn't "cure" people of their anxiety (because the problem is anxiety, not vomiting) nevertheless when emetophobes do vomit they do indeed experience feelings of relief and "was that it???" kind of thing. It helps them cognitively understand that the vomiting is not what they are morbidly afraid of - it's just a fear response or a body memory. As such, it can be addressed and treated. I find that those emetophobes I work with who have vomited in recent memory find treatment much easier because they've been through the experience. So take heart!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I hope you are right sage...i dont no what i wud do if god said to me and said..."this is forever jade"!!