Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question not sure...about sickness

hey so i am new here and .....i have had emetophobia for as long as i can remember its frustrating.....anyways i have ibs and anxiety problems im constantly thinking about if i am going to get a stomach bug or some sort of vires so i worry alot about it and when i worry alot i get really n* and im guessing its whats making me feel so sick recently and it stays like that for about a week almost as if i really do have a stomach bug has this happned to anyone else? is this constant reacurring n* all in my head? or am i just an unlucky person who keeps getting some sort of sickness

Default Re: not sure...about sickness

I'm the same way. I have ibs and I'm lactose intolerant, so when I eat dairy... My stomach is always going and when I hear someone isn't feeling well, I ALWAYS have to go to the bathroom, always... Ugh, it's not fun.

I feel you... Anxiety is what it is. I've bought some books on anxiety and I'm really trying to pray more (I've gotten away from it lately). Anyways... I've found some really nice people here and they're helpful too, so welcome.

ha thank you i thought i was going insane! yes i want to get some anxiety books have you found any particular good ones that have helped?

I just ordered 2 off of amazon, I'll let you know how they go. Both have great reviews. One is a Christian book though, not sure if you're a Christian... The other is a workbook.

I suffer from IBS and gastritis. Both of which can make me feel n* but Ive come to realize over the last 6 months that most of the n* is caused by anxiety! I was sure I couldnt be the cause of my worst fear which is v* even after undergoing lots of medical tests most of which were clear. It wasnt until Id been taking citalopram anti-depressants/anxiety tablets for several wks that I noticed the n* was a lot easier. There are still days when I feel s* and of course I panic when I know of a sv* doing the rounds but on the whole I feel much better. Its mad how our minds can affect our body so much. It seems unlikely that all of us emet sufferers would also be so unlucky as to also suffer from so much n* etc if it wasnt on our minds so often.

I agree with the first post ( but i'm not lactose intolerant), i always have to go to the bathroom when someone says they arn't feeling well too. I freak out and i ask them one million questions like "how bad do you feel out of 10?" and all these silly things. ARRRGGGH. and i het superstitios about it too. I make up silly things like, "if i wear the same clothes i wore last time is got sick, i coud get sick again" and stupid things like that.

whats the name of that christian book?

yes i would like to know what the name of the chirstian book is also

Overcoming Fear, Worry, and Anxiety: Becoming A Woman of Faith and Confidence by Elyse Fitzpatrick. I ordered from Amazon. My 2 books are supposed to arrive monday, so I can let you guys know then.

yes please do im all for the christian and prayer remedies

i have tons and tons of christian books relating to anxiety and fear. My therapist also gave me a new magazine that as tons of new releases in them ,I just ordered about 30 books off amazon...I cant wait to read them and I will report back!!! I am a christian and I will tell you thatp rayer and just knowing the Lord is my saving grace makes me feel a lot better, just know his word and get into your bible...Find a book of promises and look up illness and see what the Lord has to say, it is very helpful for me.

My son came home today and told me someone was sick in his K class today, i thought I was going to freak out, but for some reason I didnt, no panic. Of course I asked him 20 million questions and he is 5 and couldnt tell me anything. But I emailed the teacher like a crazy person hahaha and got my answers. Not sure if the little girl has a virus or not but it is unerving. I feeli like though I am reaching some sort of peace, bc I know there is nothing I can do to control it, especially with 2 little ones in school. I just know that God loves me and he knows me fears and weaknesses and I trust him to protect me. I also know that when my anxiety kicks in, that is not God, that is the opposite, preying on my weaknesses. The closer we get to God the harder the we get challenged by his enemy...so just keep praying! and most importantly feel better.

I have suffered with some sort of gastro-intestinal problem for 2 years. They claim its ibs, but after doing tests they discovered gallstones (yes I'm 20 and I have them). I have noticed that with the ibs, anxiety makes things so much worse than they are. I have been in counseling and on xanax, and neither helped much. Basically I have discovered its all in my head, and I do things to calm myself down. I use a technique they taught me in counseling. Think logically, I know its hard in the middle of a panic attack, but you have to do it.

This happens all the time, it can't be me getting s*. Do I have a fever? How did I feel before I was n*?

Just simple questions always help me out. Oh and yes I ask them out loud in the bathroom But it helps me feel better! Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by iluvhockey987 View Post
    Basically I have discovered its all in my head, and I do things to calm myself down. I use a technique they taught me in counseling. Think logically, I know its hard in the middle of a panic attack, but you have to do it.

This happens all the time, it can't be me getting s*. Do I have a fever? How did I feel before I was n*?

Just simple questions always help me out.

How often after you start your logical thinking do you start to feel better? I try to do the same thing but it never works. Maybe I'm just impatient? I have the same problem, I can't remember the last time I went more than a week without feeling like I was s*. I claim to have stomach problems, but I really know I just have am overactive mind. It's terrible.

Usually I feel better mentally about 10-15 minutes after the ibs "attack" begins. This is my new method and it has been working for 3 months now, I have only had 1 minor panic attack, whereas I was having attacks everyday for 2 years. (It took me 2 years to develop this and begin using it properly. Everything takes time so don't worry if it doesn't work in the beginning.. honestly my anxiety just stopped one day. I still get some, but I feel like its a big improvement compared to what it was. I take my days one at a time.

First I tell myself that it is all in my head (For a pessimist, I try to be optimistic)
    Second, I say to myself I know I have these problems, I know what is going to happen, and I'm not going to v*!!!!
    Third I find a book or magazine I can bring into the bathroom and really focus on the book
    With IBS I usually have 2-3 attacks before its all over, so I actually stay in the bathroom for all of them, this may sound crazy but it works for me. I just read my book and sit, I figure why get all worried out there and uncomfortable when I can just stay right in here?!?!
    IF I start to get nervous and feel even the slightest n*, then I bring out the big guns I talk to myself, OUT LOUD. I tell myself, I am fine, nothing is wrong, its all in my head.
    Usually with the panic attack I get chills, if these occur I take a shower, that usually calms them down and relaxes me.
    Lastly if all else fails I take my temperature. I figure if I don't have one and I am not sneezing/coughing or having any real problems other than n*, I'm probably just making it up in my head.

For the logical aspect: I went to counseling and here is what they taught me. For one week I had to document every time I had an attack. I had to write what it was about, why I think I'm going to v*, then I would have to say something logical such as that the likeliness of doing it was small because I was in fact not sick, then I would have to disclaim my first statement, then I would have to choose which argument I believed after completing the chart. I don't have the chart with me anymore but I'm sure you can find something like it online. I have adapted using my own methods with this, and so far they have been working. Best of luck to you!

I get nausea very often. It feels like every day to be honest. I think it is anxiety and IBS.

Welcome to the forum!

I usually feel queasy at least every day. It's nerves and my sinuses.

Quote Originally Posted by LordB View Post
    ...... It's nerves and my sinuses.
    Sounds familiar with the sinuses. Mine used to give me horrendous heacaches.
    David