Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default What OTC products do you suggest for avoiding v*?

I've never tried "Airborn," but do any of you believe in that stuff? I know some people swear by it to avoid catching illness... I'm willing to try it if it might work! :-)

Also, in treating n* and v*, have any of you had any success w/ Emetrol? I thought it was only for n* alone, but today read that it can be used when you actually have a stomach flu and are v*. Any thoughts or experiences here?

I lean hard on Eclipse Spearmint gum when I am "on the verge." Seriously, I was chewing the stuff both times I was giving birth, and I truly find it helfpful. (I know, an emetophobe going through 2 pregnancies and deliveries sounds crazy, but my desire for children was stronger than my phobia, and God has been SOOOO good! Also, He didn't let me throw up in either pregnancy, though I did have a bit of n* at the start of each pregnancy)

Any other products or tips/tricks(besides good hygiene, I'm all about that one!) you guys have to offer in avoiding v* or STOPPING v* if it's already begun?

I KNOW that many say when you are v* from the stomach bug it is your body's way of getting rid of bad stuff, but if I will do almost ANYTHING to get the "bad stuff" to come out the other way, and NOT out by way of v*!!!!

Thanks for any advice! :-)

Default Re: What OTC products do you suggest for avoiding v*?

I like avomine travel sickness tablets which are available OTC in the UK. I also use promethazine hydrochloride (phenegan?) which you can buy under the brand name sominex in the UK. I sometimes use sea-bands which you wear on your wrists. To be honest there isnt much I wouldnt try in my efforts to stop myself from v*! Also ginger is supposed to relieve n*. I bought some chrystallised ginger from a health food shop and although I find it quite unpleasant to nibble on when I feel s* it has done the job for me in the past. Saying that there are some days/nights (tonight being one of them) when no matter what I try nothing eases the n* but so far so good I havent v* in a while - hope I havent jinxed myself!

I also chew on peppermint gum when feeling queasy or worse.
    Last edited by claire43; 09-14-2010 at 09:12 PM.

I use Sominex which is under the name Phenergan in the US. I'm going to try some others as well. It makes me feel better having a little stash of anti-emets.

Dont know if his counts, but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyways. I usually just change my diet when I have a bout of n* and d*. I go on the Braty [Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, toast, and yogurt] diet for about 2 or 3 days. I'll also eat cream of rice, honeyed tea, and very much home made Ginger tea. Ginger is supposed to be some sort of natural super drug for nausea and vomiting. I have read that it comes in tablet form, but I'm extremely wary of medicines so I havent tried any, though you might. Theyre often used for sea and motion sickness.

Oh, and I have tried airborne and one other medication like it (the name escapes me right now). I dont know if it helped or not. I just took it as a precaution once and just switched to Honeyed Ginger tea since its pretty much an immunity booster also.

i have purchased emetrol but I have never had to use it on my kiddos, well i keep forgetting when they get sick. but since it is a liquid, if they are super sick, i cant believe they would be able to keep it down. phenergan is not OTC in the US, not sure what you could use OTC, besides ginger, chammomile tea, gum etc...all of my meds are prescribed.

I know this is the therapist talking and not what you're asking but sometimes I can't help myself. The thing is, you really shouldn't be doing whatever you can to avoid vomiting. Because vomiting is not the problem. The problem is that you have a debilitating phobia of something that isn't harmful or dangerous. I may be the only professional who can say this because I've been there and been terrified out of my mind.

I know it's tough to see any light at the end of the tunnel but believe me, you can get through this. Begin by focusing your energies on getting over the phobia as opposed to on avoiding vomiting. Avoidance is what causes phobias in the first place and it's what makes them worse.

Take care and good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I totally agree with sage. Especially in the case of food poisoning. Your body is trying to do you a favor by expelling the food because you have ingested a toxin that can potentially kill you. Keeping it down is not doing yourself a favor. In some cases though, you need relief from bouts of long protracted nausea like you would get on a boat in rough seas or if you just for no good reason feel sick in your stomach as often happens to me. I think Ginger is really good if you have the type of nausea that is not being caused by a toxin.

I agree with Sage too!

As far as Airbourne, I used to it to keep colds away when I Worked with children. It works pretty well, but unless you're always getting sick you may not notice a difference.

You may find these links helpful!

I use Sea-Bands and Gin-Gins ginger hard candy. They're both worked wonders when I've been sick from my sinuses.

I think that motilium is the best that I`ve tried so far, & ginger & pepto bismol are good too.

Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    I know this is the therapist talking and not what you're asking but sometimes I can't help myself. The thing is, you really shouldn't be doing whatever you can to avoid vomiting. Because vomiting is not the problem. The problem is that you have a debilitating phobia of something that isn't harmful or dangerous. I may be the only professional who can say this because I've been there and been terrified out of my mind.

I know it's tough to see any light at the end of the tunnel but believe me, you can get through this. Begin by focusing your energies on getting over the phobia as opposed to on avoiding vomiting. Avoidance is what causes phobias in the first place and it's what makes them worse.

Take care and good luck!
    Very well said, Sage. Over the past year I have slowly started "getting" this, and so instead of running around in circles trying to always stay a step ahead of that inevitable vomiting episode, I've been working on lowering my fear of it should it happen, and it's this that's made the world of difference in my recovery. I still have a ways to go, but I'm A LOT better than when I was on a mission to find the perfect way to NEVER vomit.

I use sea bands and emetrol as soon as i feel like vomiting. I use a pressure point also.