Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Just started Lexapro...PLEASE HELP

Has anyone taken Lexapro and been extremely nauseated during the night? If so, please tell me it goes away?????

It's been 3 days and the last 3 nights, I have been awakened by some serious nausea that lasts the rest of the night and into the morning.

I just started the Lexapro because I was able to admit to my doctor for the first time I have emets. I have to say she was wonderful and took me very seriously.

So she gave me Lexapro. I do feel a little bit, and I mean a little bit, less anxious. But this nausea at night...oh my gosh....I need it to go away....because I can't deal with the anxiety anymore....

So has anyone else dealt with this? Does the nausea subside once the body gets used to being on it?

Thank you!

Default Re: Just started Lexapro...PLEASE HELP

well my sister takes lexapro and has never had an issue. but i have taken celex, fluvoxomine, and zoloft and they have all made me SO nauseas and the celexa was waking me up at night with nausea. I stopped taking them bc it was unreal...I now have a script for prozac and I am hoping to God that doesnt make me sick...bc I need to take something but cant fight through the side effects bc they are awful. feel better.

I've been on Lexapro for quite awhile now and it has been an absolute miracle drug for me. My panic attacks were so bad that I was getting to the point I never wanted to leave my house...and Lexapro completely turned that around. It took a few weeks to see full effects, but when I did I was a different person.
    I did have a little bit of mild nausea for a few days when I started it, but it was tolerable and went away fairly quickly. I was prescribed Ativan at the same time and I'm sure that helped me a little with the queasy feeling, but when I didn't take that I'd take a Unisom ( doxylamine succinate) which worked very well too. Made me feel kind of sleepy and cozy and it'll help you sleep through the night. I also sipped on Metromint peppermint water and kept mints handy as well.
    Looking back I actually think my nausea was not "real" nausea, but more part of my panic and disorder. When my attacks were in full force my stomach was always a total mess, so I'm actually more inclined to believe that my queasiness was not a side effect of the med, but more anxiety-related.
    Either way, please know that it WILL pass. And when it does you will feel so, so much better. Like I said, Lexapro gave me my life back and put me into recovery with not only my panic disorder but my emet as well.
    Good luck to you and hang in there!

I took lexapro about 4 or 5 years ago, and i was nauseous and times, especially when i went a few days without taking it. But i never v* and never felt like i was going to. i just had slight sick felings occasionally. But dont worry cuz they'll probably go away once you get used to the new meds in your body. The only thing i didnt like about that medicine was the taste of it (i had liquid and pill), but besides that it works really well for anxiety. Hope the nauseousness subsides. good luck!

i think i was on lexapro for months when i was like 12. dont remember any symptoms though.
    i think anxiety could be causing it. the full effect still prob hasnt worked yet, and new medication is always the worste. its harder to cope at night too. maybe try distracting yourself if ya wake up, put the tele on low or play a game on facebook or something. you'll be right lovey!
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Thank you so much for the input everyone. I can't wait to start feeling better!!! I really, really hope this works out for me....(and anyone else that is taking this path)!!!

Thanks again for the input. So far I've started taking compezine at night and I still get nauseous, but it makes me so drowsy that I'm able to at least sleep through the night with just a few brief wake ups.

Keep your fingers crossed for me