Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default V* from drunkeness vs illness

One theme I seem to notice reading the posts is that people aren't nearly, and often times are AT ALL afraid of people who v from being drunk. At the other extreme we are terrified of people v* because they have norovirus. Even seeing someone get seasick probably wouldn't bother us nearly as much as seeing them do it from a virus.

So does this mean that we aren't afraid of the v* as much as we are afraid of the person's potential to give it to us? I've seen lots of drunks toss their cookies and it's gross and I really don't want to see it, but doesn't bother me all that much. I feel contempt for their binge-drinking gluttony more than I feel fear of their v*ing. However, if I know someone has a norovirus, I am terrified to be anywhere near them. There have been times I've had roommates that were sick with noro and knowing they were puking made me have to leave the apartment and stay out as long as possible. It didn't matter if I couldn't hear or see them doing. Just knowing they were doing would make me scared and depressed. And even after they were better, I still didn't want to be around them for at least a few days. I'm not as bad as I used to be though.

Default Re: V* from drunkeness vs illness

i'm exactly the same way.........drunk v or seasick v is nasty.......but doesn't send me into a panic......but a phone call from a friend saying they have a sv will send me over the edge.......
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vomit per se doesn't bother me any more than it bothers the average person. In fact, if a person is vomiting because they're drunk or seasick or pregnant etc, I can be with them and help (rub their back or whatever) and even clean it up if I have to. My emetophobia is strictly about ME vomiting.

I'm not like that. My emet is 85% about seeing OTHERS vomit. Of course, I don't want to get sick myself, but I avoid bars and parties where people are drinking like the plague because I don't want to see people get sick. This includes amusement parks and any kind of "ffamily fun" outside center because of little kids on rides or drinking a lot of sugary drinks then running around too much then vomiting.

I've actually refused myself to research Norovirus (i've never heard of it) and I don't want to read anything about it or know anything about it because then I know it will become part of my emet. I just want to be content being sanitary as I am and not take it to any more extreme levels. I already have to wear gloves to handle raw chicken.

Though, i have found that when I used to drink until I was sick (a few years ago) it never made me panic because i was so wasted that it was 100% relief and I knew that it was just because of the alcohol and not because I had anything. But I could never help my friends when they were drunk unless I was really drunk myself. Being hungover the next day though was always the worst and I had many panic attacks during hang overs due to a constant nausia throughout the day.
    Just remember to breath....

I am the same way I still cant help a person v* from getting drunk , but it doesnt bother me as much ; however, a person v* from stomach virus scares the heck out of me , ill also leave and not return its terrrible

Hmm, I've noticed that trend too at this forum, but I'm not like that at all. Although I absolutely do not ever want to get sick, most of my emetophobia is about seeing other people get sick (probably because it's a much more common occurrence). I actually get the must upset/panicky when dealing with sick drunk people. I think my biggest issue with it is that they pretty much got sick on purpose (because they drank so much), as opposed to people who just got a virus. I know it's not contagious, but somehow it's so much worse for me.

I once had a panic attack at a concert because the concert was at my local college. Since almost everyone there was in college, the idea of them being drunk and getting sick totally freaked me out. I had to listen to everyone's conversation, keep an eye on everyone's movements and I got panicky whenever someone leaned over, walked weirdly, or walked quickly. For the record, no one got sick (as far as I know), but the anticipation that someone could v* was too much for me. I had to leave early because I was shaking and crying so badly.

I'm scared by it all. SV will send me over the edge and into a panic for about a week. I feel the same way for all causes of v*. The only thing that varies is how long my freak out lasts. I don't like goingto bars or parties, when my bro used to come home drunk I'd lock my door and sleep with my tv volume up high. If it's a SV, I won't even want to go home. I can never be there for someone if they v*. SV or not. Whatever the reason, I still can't handle it. I run and never look back. It makes me feel horrible, but I can't help it.
    "Compare Where You Are to Where You Want to Be and You'll Get Nowhere.."

Put me in the 'I don't care why you're v'ing, I'm outta here' category. If anything, drunken v is worse because it's self inflicted. I don't care if it's contagious or not, and to be honest I'm not that bothered if I v myself.