Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Have you had a lot of phantom illnesses in your life?

Most my life I have suffered from stomach ailments. Starting in 4th grade I would constantly have to go to the nurse and be sent home because my stomach was hurting. I went to psychologists as a child and doctors and nobody could figure out what was wrong with my stomach. Have even had two endoscopies, one as a child and one in my 20s and neither found any problem. At age 34, I still suffer from frequent nausea and stomach upset. Sometimes for no apparent reason. I can't figure out what's triggering it specifically.

I'm new to the forum and have read a lot of posts here to try and understand this condition. I'm noticing that many others seem to have frequent phantom illnesses involving their stomachs that they can't explain the source of.

I'm wondering if weight of the stress from fear of v is what is causing these phantom illnesses.

Default Re: Have you had a lot of phantom illnesses in your life?

i woudl definitely say that stress is the cause of 99.9 percent of my illnesses.........it's sad but true........i've learned to deal with it pretty well.........but every once in while it gets really bad and i find myself in bed

i've had tons of test done throughout my life for stomach/instestines issues which where all negative......even had my gallbladder out......which also didn't help.......so i've got to assume it's anxiety

i'm basically a healthy person
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YES! If scaring myself sick was an olympic sport, I would have won the gold medal every year. Not so much now, because I'm a lot better, but for years it wouldn't take much to convince myself that every little body symptom, every cold, every headache, every bite of what I perceived to be "iffy" food meant I'd projectile vomit.

So yes, I suffered through MANY illnesses I never had.

I get what you mean... when I was in middle school, the school nurse had a bottle of calpol ready for me as I came to the office with 'stomachache' so reguarly, when all the while it was just me being paranoid that I was ill. x
    "I aspire to be greater than my nature will allow"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I actually discovered emetophobia because of phantom illness. I would get so N before bed, and not be able to sleep. I told my doctor, and we went through weeks of tests and journals. Finally I said "I am so scared of V-ing, could that be what it is?" And she looked up at me and was like "Yeah, that could be it" and gave me some tips on how to sleep through the night and calm my anxiety. I had never thought of it as a phobia. That night I went home and looked up "afraid to v" and came up with IES

You may find these links helpful!

yep. daily nausea.

yes all the time...since i was 15 I am 33 and I have finally figured out, that yes I have IBS, but I have hormone issues, yeast issues and I am lactose and gluten intolerant and that has been causing me anxiety etc. ever since I have gone gluten free, which has been a week so far...anxiety has been gone, nausea gone, stomach aches gone...Im loving it and the food is quite yummy!

Reading this passage from a cured emet is really eye-opening:

http://emetophobia.bravepages.com/cure3.html

Well, it has been three weeks since my vomiting episode and I thought I would give everyone an update. I find that surviving the "episode" has changed my attitude significantly. I find that I do not feel nauseated on a daily basis as I did prior to the "episode." I have only felt nauseated once and I told myself that if it happens it happens. I am trying to keep that attitude.
    My whole life, I never understood what was causing my frequent and often sporadic nausea. All that time going to doctors to find nothing was wrong with me. I think it was nothing more than my emetophobia. Seems that this is something we almost universally suffer from. Phantom nausea and stomach ailments. It's all in our heads. It's reassuring to hear from the cured emets that this frequent nausea goes away when the emet goes away.

I have bad sinuses and allergies. They make me feel bad a LOT.