Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I recently received an acceptance letter from a university I would really like to attend. My dilemma is that the campus is far enough away that I can't commute and living off-campus would be too expensive. So I will have to live on campus and all of the housing units are double occupancy. So if I want to attend this college, I will have to room with someone else. This isn't a problem except that I can't help but worry that my future roommate could be a drinker. I also know that the new sense of freedom that college students get leads many to drink much more than their bodies can handle. This bothers me a lot because I know I would be unable to concentrate on anything if my roommate would come in every friday night v*ing. I know that even once instance would probably make me want to pack up right then and head home. Any suggestions on picking a roommate that isn't into the whole "party" scene? Any suggestions on how I could work to stop my emet from preventing me from attending the college I want?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small in comparison to what lies within us.

first of all, congrats!
    i can understand this may be a problem, but chances are your roommate will be suited to you. they wouldn't, or hopefully wouldn't stick you with someone who you were not going to co-operate with,therefore, ifyou reason with them..ie) give them a brief sum of your condition, then you can easily compromise.
    im confident that whoever you share with, will be more than sympathetic towards this..and it's not asthough they'll get sick a lot of the time!
    remember, if you should feel the slightest bit uncomfortable, phone home, or log on here..
    gud luck!

Tell the college about your condition to screen the perfect roomy for you. I am sure that the college will take that step. Or, tell your new roomy about your condition, and humbly ask that she doesn't come back drunk. Ask her to make arrangements with someone else if she chooses to drink.

*What the hell is it with all of these teenagers drinking to the point of extreme excess these days? *

This is great news!! Dive right into college, as you will grow from it both personally and academiclly. Edited by: sparky2004
    <font color=RED><font size=\"4\"> FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL----fear</font>

Don't they ask questions about your personality and likes/dislikes and habits when you apply for housing so that they can fit you with someone who will be most compatible? I think they'll be happy to fit you with someone who doesn't drink. There are students out there who go to college and stay away from the party scene.... look at all of us here who did/do.

Another option is asking for a single room. I know you said that all rooms are doubles, but there is the chance that you could get a single... my brother has been in a dorm for 3 years and got a single each year. I also had a friend in college who had a single in a suite of 3 rooms, the 3 rooms shared a common bathroom and she happened to have the small room. So there is the chance that you may not have to room with someone, although what a great way to meet a new lifelong friend. I wish I would have had the courage to do the dorm life. Have a good time and good luck with all of this!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

id def tell the Uni about your Emet - coz it is serious. I told my UNi and got a single room with my own bathroom. But i wasnt so lucky when i went to Germany - i had to share the whole year - and i wont lie - it was damn tough! so do all u can to try and get a single. tell them abt the emet - ask abt a single - coz sometimes people leave or dont turn up.

good luck!

ems xx

Thank you everyone for the responses[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]. I plan on informing both the housing staff and my residential advisor of my condition. I hope that will increase my chances of getting a non-partier roommate!!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small in comparison to what lies within us.

ok well emet is a medical condition, so tell your uni, or even get your doctor to write them a letter about your history. I have just been accepted for my first choice uni and will be living in. Half of the accomodation is single study rooms sharing a bathroom and kitchen with 11 other students. This is also on the same side of the campus as all the student bars so i worry about drunks. The other side of the campus is all brand new accomodation, single study, ensuite and a kitchen is shared between 5 studentsbut is in very high demand. I have emet and ibs so my doctor is writing to the uni for me so that i get priority for the new accomodation. Im pretty sure that your uni will have some accomodation reserved for students with special requirements so make some enquiries and im sure they will do all they can for you.

Remember unis want you to be happy so you dont drop out. They dont want students to drop out because they loose money and reputation!

Yes it's a very good idea to tell the Uni about it.

I applied for an en suite single room but my Uni only had 8 of them so they gave me a single room (but not en suite) in another hall - even though I'd sent a doctor's note about my phobia. I was miffed about the no ensuite but as it turns out the hall was just the BEST ever and I had the BEST time ever, and my emet hardly flared up at all, even using communal bathrooms. I'm sure the Uni will take you seriously and I really doubt they will shove you in with any old roomate.

Kazzia - thats really cool wat u say! coz i had the BEST time ever too at UNI!! i had en suite but still - i visited my friend who had a communal bathroom and it was real nice that i thought i cld have lived with that too!

there is so much to do at uni that u realise how crap emet is and how it shld just piss off hey!!

ems x

thank you everyone for all the responses! I'm going to contact the university as soon as they return from winter break. I'm also planning on visiting my doctor because I do know that there are a few vaccinations recommended for college-bound students and i'm also going to ask her if she'd write a note or call the university to explain my situation. Thanks again for all the advice [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img].

Congratulations on getting in!

And yeah, as everyone has said, you should tell the university about
    your situation. But who knows, you may have a ton of fun, and emet
    may not bother you at all!

By the way, I really like your avatar. I stared at it for about five
    minutes, before realizing I'd probably best reply then, if I was going
    to at all. :P
    -Anna