Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Fearing the inevtitability of V

When my fear of v was most intense, to the point that I'd literally rather die than v, the thing that terrified me the most was feeling of inevitability. When I was in high school, it was really, really bad. I'd think, OMG I'm 16, how on God's earth am I going to make it through my whole life without it happening. When a norovirus was going around school, I'd just want to lock myself in my room at home and never come out. For a person that feared v more than death, it's hard to relate to an average person who terrifying it was to have to go to school for 6 hours and be in a room with a bunch of other people when noro is going around like wildfire. I would be so depressed all day. Once a buddy of mine said that he ate a certain restaurant all the time and was fine, then one day out of the blue just had a bad turkey sandwich and ended up being food poisoned and v for 2 days. It can make me so paranoid sometimes. You just don't know. Everything can feel like Russian Roulette.

Anyway, I'm sure you guys have thought about v being inevitable. How have you guys dealt with this? Luckily I'm not as bad I used to be with my emet and a lot of fight or flight heart-racing reaction to v or seeing people do it or seeing it on the ground has greatly abated. But sometimes when I'm laying in bed at night, I still have these thoughts that keep me awake. Wondering when it will happen. Where it will happen. Will it be in the privacy of my own home or out in public. Will it be something I eat tomorrow? Will I catch a norovirus?

Default Re: Fearing the inevtitability of V

sounds like my daily thought process.......the only thing that saves me from living in my room alone is i keep telling myself not to let this phobia overtake my life. it does enough damage without confining me to my room. it ruins plans.....i'm getting better at that too. i know i've been able to do so many things and not be sick.......but still can't get that "when will it happen" out of my head.

stupid emet....
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mooki, vomiting is not inevitable. I have not vomited in 34 years and I have only felt close to doing it twice in that time. You can learn ways of keeping vomiting from happening. I discuss them in my FAQs. (See below.) I worry about food poisoning and norovirus too, but I know what to do if I get severely nauseated. At least twice I have kept myself from vomiting when nearly everyone else would have done the liquid laugh. You can prevent it too.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    Mooki, vomiting is not inevitable. I have not vomited in 34 years and I have only felt close to doing it twice in that time. You can learn ways of keeping vomiting from happening. I discuss them in my FAQs. (See below.) I worry about food poisoning and norovirus too, but I know what to do if I get severely nauseated. At least twice I have kept myself from vomiting when nearly everyone else would have done the liquid laugh. You can prevent it too.

Doug

Wow, that it quite a comprehensive FAQ put together. I didn't realize that noro is THAT contagious. That someone simply spewing in a room could give it to half the people even when there is no direct contact. I guess if I see it on the ground, I will have to make sure to stay far away. So noro is mainly transmitted from person to person by the touch of an infected person and from aeresolized v*??

Also, I have to admit, that picture there of the syrup of ipecac and the barf bin made my heart race a bit. It's disturbing to even look at it. I don't even know if I could hold a bottle of ipecac in my hand. I'd feel "tainted" somehow. Like I'd touched something ominous and foreboding. Although I've come a long way in my recovery, this lets me know that I have a long way to go before I'm cured.

Yeah, Doug has done an amazing job with his FAQ, and has been around these parts for many a year!

V is not inevitable. I have only got nauseous and V three times in my life. Each time it was from a headache and I hadn't eaten so there was nothing but liquid. The most recent one was 1989 It's been over 20 years. During that time, there have been 2 times I felt really bad. Once it was some sort of virus, the other time I got affected by a chemical.

Some people's constitution does not lend its self to V'ing.

If you feel comfortable talking about it; how often do you seem to get sick? Most of us emets don't get sick much at all.

that picture there of the syrup of ipecac and the barf bin made my heart race a bit...
    Lol that's me too. All someone has to do is LOOK a little green, or say "puke," "ipecac," "sick" or anything like that - and my heart is racing.

I've got used to it. I think it is just a side effect of having the energy of two "normal" people! Call it the biological equivalent of an engine with "good throttle response."

Peace,
    David

I don't get sick very often(knock on wood). I do however get nausea and feel like V all the time. To the point that it's just like a normal thing in life I've had to learn to cope with. I basically don't even leave the house without 2 or 3 pepto tablets in my pocket as a sort of security blanket. I'll have a ginger pill in my pocket too. I take that first, and if that doesn't work, then I break out the pepto. Sometimes I'll take a ginger pill before I go out even if I feel fine. Just to help ward off any potential nausea while I'm out. I prefer ginger to pepto because pepto turns y our poo black and causes constipation(for me anyway), but it's saved my butt from some close calls. Unfortunately, I think I'm building an immunity to bismuth(the active ingredient in Pepto), I have to usually take 3 tablets now to get the effect that 2 used to have. And sometimes that doesn't always even work.

Glad you don't get sick often!

Do you drink "hot" ginger ale? I beleive in ginger's ability to calm the stomach. I love the aroma of it and the hot taste. Then after drinking it (especially on an empty stomach) I can feel an effect, a calming effect.

My favorite is Buffalo Rock brand. It is by far the hottest one I have found. Vernors is second closest.

I don't think you would build immunity to ginger.

Take care!
    David

I drank a hot ginger tea. It comes powdered and is very spicy. It has some sweetener already added to it. It worked VERY well in the times I've used it. Only problem is you have to be at home or somewhere with access to a tea cup and hot water. If you're out in public, you can only have the pill form. The combination of the ginger and the warm water is SO soothing to the stomach, and it tastes pretty good too! I also recently bought some ginger root from the supermarket and next time I'm nauseated, I'm going to make some hot water and soak that root in the water and make my own all natural ginger tea. Ginger has got to be the best natural antiemetic there is, as good as any pharmacy medicine. People have been using it for centuries to treat a sick stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by mooki View Post
    I drank a hot ginger tea. It comes powdered and is very spicy. It has some sweetener already added to it. It worked VERY well in the times I've used it. Only problem is you have to be at home or somewhere with access to a tea cup and hot water. If you're out in public, you can only have the pill form. The combination of the ginger and the warm water is SO soothing to the stomach, and it tastes pretty good too! I also recently bought some ginger root from the supermarket and next time I'm nauseated, I'm going to make some hot water and soak that root in the water and make my own all natural ginger tea. Ginger has got to be the best natural antiemetic there is, as good as any pharmacy medicine. People have been using it for centuries to treat a sick stomach.
    You like Chinese food? They often have fresh sliced ginger root on the buffet. It is good with fried food and sushi.

The fresh stuff is so much better. My mom cooks some Chinese and when she grates the ginger the whole house smells so good!

I relate to the way hot tea feels. I love hot drinks when it is cold out. When I worked at a dairy in winter, I took it to the extreme. I'd drink a tall glass of hot water, from the sink faucet. It was such a good feeling - the heat relaxed my stomach so much. I could feel it bulged out a little, but it felt pleasantly full, not uncomfortable. Then I could feel the heat from the water, spreading, as the blood flowed around my midsection and carried the heat to all parts of my body. It was so instantly restoring, from being chilled to the core to feeling ready to work again!

Peace,
    David

Mooki, ipecac is probably less likely to make you puke than a lot of substances you hold in your hand and even put in your mouth. All of the soap products in your home have emetics added to them -- shampoo, lotion, bleach, etc. Mouthwash is as likely to make you vomit if you swallowed it as ipecac -- and it would happen a lot quicker. One of the most emetogenic substances of all is fluoride. Lots of people have had an unpleasant surprise after swallowing it at the dentist.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

I was just thinking about this today. A friend of mine has been sick with a stomach virus all week. Another friend had one a few weeks ago. Granted these friends don't even live in the same state as me. I haven't vomited since 1984 and I just know that eventually I will throw up. I try to tell myself that I've made it this long and have had other tummy issues over the years and haven't vomited, so maybe I am just not a vomity person. But that logic doesn't work. I still obsess about it and worry about when, where, how, etc.

The people I have told about this phobia are supportive, but they just don't get it. How can you explain to someone that you would rather die than throw up?

Quote Originally Posted by agg1975 View Post
    I was just thinking about this today. A friend of mine has been sick with a stomach virus all week. Another friend had one a few weeks ago. Granted these friends don't even live in the same state as me. I haven't vomited since 1984 and I just know that eventually I will throw up. I try to tell myself that I've made it this long and have had other tummy issues over the years and haven't vomited, so maybe I am just not a vomity person. But that logic doesn't work. I still obsess about it and worry about when, where, how, etc.

The people I have told about this phobia are supportive, but they just don't get it. How can you explain to someone that you would rather die than throw up?
    Yeah, I hear you. I wonder what is it about emets that helps them ward it off for so long. Either V is less involuntary than we think, or something about the brains of emets is different.

Going without it such a long time has probably made things worse. I doubt that normal people who do it once a year from the time they were kids ever become emets. If we emets never had these long gaps, I wonder if we would still have emet?

Oh, Gosh, Doug, now you are scaring me about fluoride and stuff! I always think my son uses too much toothpaste.
    And Mooki, I feel the same way about inevitability...BUT I have learned through Doug and this website and anti-emetics, etc. that I have a much greater ability of stopping it than in the past. Keep that in the forefront of your mind, how much control you really do have.

Quote Originally Posted by andee View Post
    Oh, Gosh, Doug, now you are scaring me about fluoride and stuff! I always think my son uses too much toothpaste.
    And Mooki, I feel the same way about inevitability...BUT I have learned through Doug and this website and anti-emetics, etc. that I have a much greater ability of stopping it than in the past. Keep that in the forefront of your mind, how much control you really do have.
    Well I figure the best course of action is to gradually desensitize myself to it so that I won't care if I v. Of course we're always going to care to some extent, even non-emets don't want to v, but if I can get to the point where it doesn't bring great anxiety, then I just won't care if I ever do or don't. It'll be like worrying if I ever get another flu again, something I hate, but not something that brings on panic attacks. I think that's a more pragmatic goal then trying to prevent it for the rest of my life.