Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Mentally ill again. Is it ever going to go away?

I have been really ill about a year ago. I couldnt eat, lost so much weight I was nearly hospitalized. It was so bad I was suicidal. But I took prozac and forced myself to do things and I finally got better. Not completley better but so much so I could go on holiday ect. But last week i had a huge panic attack. Now im exactly where i was before. Ive doubled my dose of prozac hoping that will help. but it probably wont because if it did help i wouldn't of gotten ill on it in the first place and I have. I told my grandma about it because she has been very ill in her life, She was addicted to valium for 40 years. She said i can't do anything about it, it's who i am and i will always be like it. Is this true?
    I have no hope now.

I cant eat, what shall i do.

Default Re: Mentally ill again. Is it ever going to go away?

You need to eat something. Seriously. I've been so ill because I starved myself (thinking I couldn't vomit if I didn't eat anything) but I hate to tell you; you can still vomit without eating anything. Though vomiting on no food is painful (apparently ) so it's better to have something in your stomach.
    Your body knows what to do with food. It wouldn't make you vomit unless the food was bad - the body doesn't like vomitng anymore than your mind does! Eat some good food (you can't go wrong with vegetables, pasta, bread, fruits, seeds or even a bit of chocolate) and drink water slowly. You'll be fine, just take it easy.
    You can do something about it if you want to do something about it. Go to your doctor, see a hypnotherapist or a counsellor. Help is out there for you. I'm here if you want to chat.
    Remember that nothing ever stays the same. Time is the best healer. Things will start to look up.
    xx.

When I was young I was phobic I didn't eat barely at all and weighed about 85 pounds at one point (I'm 5'5"). Now I'm 130 and eat anything and everything and enjoy life to the fullest without anxiety. So there IS hope - never give up! I'm nobody special and I sure didn't have any decent therapy until I was 40. Not very brave either. So take heart! All it takes is the right treatment plan, a good therapist, a good doctor prescribing your medication.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I had a similar problem this year. I was extremely ill and I lost 10 pounds in a few days. Eventually once I started to feel better the panic attacks subsided for about 3 weeks. Then I had one. Just one. It set me off for the next few months. I had them all the time and the same issues were back. I went on xanax for a few months to help me sleep (I wasn't sleeping or eating). About 3 months ago I became extremely ill again and decided to stop. Stop taking the meds. At first it was hell, going off 3 drugs in one day was rough, but I made it through. Ever since then my phobia has gotten so much better.

I believe taking the drugs makes our brain think we have to depend on them to feel better. When you don't take them, your body thinks well see I don't need the drugs after all!