Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: The final push

Thumbs up The final push

So my story begins about 2 1/2 years ago, my freshmen year of college. I got sick, I mean really sick. I was up all night with the worst pain I have ever felt in my life in my stomach. I thought I was going to v* for sure, but I didn't. The next day I went to the infirmary, they gave me an appointment 3 hours later. My boyfriend walked me around but the pain was so terrible I could barely move. Sitting hurt. During my appointment they told me nothing, they took my blood, pushed on my stomach (which hurt!!) and sent me home. For the next month I lost about 20 pounds, I got so sick I couldn't eat more than about 4 bites per meal. I was on the BRAT diet, with everything I ate still upsetting my stomach. Then the panic attacks started. After about a month of this it started getting a little better, in other words I didn't have diarrhea at every meal. I was told I had a virus and it was gone, but no it wasn't. For the next 1 1/2 years I went from doctor to doctor, then one told me I had IBS. She gave me a medication to take when needed.

I took that medication every time I had an "attack" (which was at least once every two days). It never worked. After suffering for so long, I decided I needed to push for a cure. This year I underwent an endoscopy (sounds bad, but its harmless). I was diagnosed with h. pylori, which had infected my stomach and intestines. I had to take 16 pills a day for 10 days. The main medication makes you v*, there is basically no way around it. Thank God my next door neighbor had to take the same thing and gave me tips and tricks how to avoid v*. I got through the 10 days, but not without struggles. I was also given xanax to help with my anxiety at this time.

Meanwhile, I had the worst panic attack to date shortly before taking this medication. I was in the car and just went full boar into one. I had to make my family stop on the side of the road for 2 hours, so I could get into the car to drive the last 5 minutes home. For the next 6 months I could not ride in a car without having a panic attack, which is bad because I go to college 3 hours away from my home.

After getting rid of the bacteria, I was still having problems, so my doctor prescribed me 3 different meds. I was overproducing bile (I was going to the bathroom upwards of 25 times a day) and my stomach was extremely irritated. I had a colonoscopy (procedure=not that bad, liquid the day before=horrible!), a CT scan, and an ultrasound. They found gallstones. All summer I took this medication to "regulate" my symptoms, but it didn't help. Every day was a mental battle for me. The company that made the drug that was supposed to help my muscles that spasmed switched the drug one day, and all hell broke loose. I was so n* all day I couldn't stand it.

Then the day of my hopeful recovery came. I stopped taking every drug (hyocyamine, questran powder and xanax) that I was on. That day was rough, but in the long run I'm glad I did it. My body was hammered with over 20 drugs in 2 1/2 years, and it was revolting. It has been about 3 months since I stopped the medications, and I have been much better. I have had 2 panic attacks in 3 months. My boyfriend even v* this morning, and I'm more concerned about him feeling better than if I'm going to catch it (though I still am really panicky and I'm trying to cope with it through breathing techniques and distraction). This phobia destroyed my life for 2 years, and I'm going to take it back!

Default Re: The final push

You've had an awful time. I was tested for that but luckily I didn't have it. I am glad that you are getting better. I was taking ibuprofen almost everyday for headaches and I believe that this was the cause of my acid reflux disease. Since I stopped the painkillers I feel so much better. Medication is given out too easily.

Default Re: The final push

Well done! You sound really positive. You've really inspired me. Focus on healing your body the healthy way now - good food, positive thinking, good breathing and water. Excellent job.