Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Newbie-My Story.

Hey all, I'm Stacey, 19 from England. Have finally built up the courage these past few weeks to eventually join a Emet forum.

I remember growing up, v* was something that didn't phase me, I accepted it as a childhood thing and moved on. Flash forward to 2003, which is I think is my trigger. My sister, father and I were on holiday and my sister woke up in the middle of the night and v*, not having enough time to exit the room; I saw this and v* myself; and throughout the night we both v*. And ever since then, I have been petrified of v*. And now, I'm getting the same way about feeling nauseous.

I'm not the best at organising my writing, but I'll have a go.

Since the 2003 incident, I v* in 2008, Norovirus season; I was home alone, both parents were at work and noone could make it home. It was horrible, I hate to be alone when I feel nauseous, I have a vivid imagination and let things play on my mind too much. Now I know a lot of sufferers would rather be alone, but for me, it's opposite; I would rather have somebody sit with me and tell me it's going to be ok and v* that way, because it would mean I have somebody there with me; to talk to inbetween, to reassure me. I feel at my most vulnerable when v*. It's the lowest possible position for me to be in.

Since the 2008 incident, this just seemed to trigger my fear more. Everytime I feel nauseous now I start to have anxiety attacks, I shake, I sweat, I fear that I will v*. I don't know what to do. I often try and listen to music, something to distract me, but the nagging feeling is always there.
    My fear always seems to be enhanced at night; throughout the day I can keep my fear at bay somewhat, but at nightime...I'll be led in bed and just start to feel nauseous through thinking of it, this stops me from sleeping and I often get 3/4 hours of sleep per night.

The fear is also beginning to control my eating habits, I often skip breakfist and dinner and have a small tea...it's my way of telling mysekf that the less I eat, the less I v*. I also suffer from IBS, so everytime I suffer stomach cramps, I immediately panic and think I have a bug *touch wood*.

I don't drink alcohol, I have rigorous cleaning habits and I only trust mine and my mother's cooking. If anybody says they feel nauseous I put up my defensive walla...asking them what they've ate, where they've been, what they've touched .e.t.c.

I went to my GP as I couldn't take no more and he was very disbelieving of me; he put me on some domperidone (it was more like, here you go, get out) which seemed to do a job of calming me down somewhat. But I need to go back, this fear is beginningto control everything I do.

I would say my father is my 'safe' person...I ring him if I don't feel well during the night, or if it's during the day I go stay with him. My mother and stepfather acknowledge my fear, but they think I should grow up and say noone likes to v*. I keep explaining that for me, it is something that runs much deeper to me, to no avail.

Reading some of the stories on here has helped me boost my confidence a bit, but still; I'm still the antisocial person who tends to avoid people in fear of getting ill

Am looking forward to becoming a more established member of this community, and in the meantime; if anybody has any reassuring things to say then it wouldn't go amiss at all. Am feeling rather 'low' at the moment and have had to take the day of university. I
    Stacey

Default Re: Newbie-My Story.

Stacey ... I to am a newbie to this site and reading your post is like reading a mirror image if my thoughts and feelings. In every sense I feel your constant battle with your fear.
    I to have been scared of V for many many years (it goes back to an frightening experience I had as a young girl with a tummy bug) it takes over my life! Constantly worrying if I'm going to get ill, washing my hands, cleaning, avoiding eating out. Now I have a young child at nursery I am paranoid that he will pick up a bug and bring it home. I consequently suffer panic/anxiety attacks and like u have turned to this website hoping to find a way to get my life back.
    My safe person is my mum .... who I love dearly. But I never think anyone can truly appreciate your fear unless they to experience it.
    Any advice or help would be gratefully received x

welocm to both of you your stories sound much like mine......except i'm on of those emets that prefers to be alone.....kept it secret most of my life.....

i hope that you find tons of help and comfort in here ....lots of wonderful, caring people with the same problems as us........i've learned alot in the past year ......

again, welcome.....look forward to hearing from you more
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for your welcoming words. It seems from looking that there are many members that feel the same as I do.
    I'm currently off work having a really bad time dealing with a cold virus and my overwhelming fear of v.
    Here is hoping I find some support and advice as I don't know how to cope anymore x

Thanks for the welcome all!

Here's hoping that all of us one day, overcome this dastardly fear!

wow I can completely relate to your story. my dad is also my comfort person i just need for him to tell me to relax and i always feel better, even though i know what he's going to say and i say it to myself it only seems to work when i hear it from him. i am the same if people around me complain that they feel sick i have to question them and determine if they may have something contagious and if so i practically hold my breath around them.
    it is comforting to know that others are experiencing the same fear and stress as i am.

Welcome both of you!

I know how you feel. I'm 19 and from England too

Nights are the worst time. I get scared to go to sleep. I won't drink. My bf is my 'safe person' except at night if I wake him he'll be half asleep so I have to rely on the tv. You'll find that most people on this forum will have the same sort of habits.

This forum will help.

Again, thanks for the kind words, it makes me want to cry because I've found a place where I can speak openly about my fear without people calling me strange, or thinking I'm a freak for it.

Some remotely good news....I went to my GP today, it was a different doctor, but; he performed a more thorough examination of me, asked me more questions, and generally, was more open to the idea of it. He prescribed me some Domperidone, which does do the job in terms of reoving the nausea *touch wood*, but its not something that necessarily calms me, the thought of v* still lies in my mind. Which leads me to the fact that he's referred me for CBT, which is something I'm very open to if it means it'll help me. So now, I'm just waiting to hear something, and in the meantime, I hope I'll be able to gain confidence, even a little bit for tomorrow when I go back to university. I'm worried that this will turn into a Social phobia

Congrats on getting to the docs and talking about it. Sounds as if u had a more positive result as well which is excellent.
    Hope uni goes ok tomorrow ... one day at a time hey!
    Slowly build your confidence up. We all have bad days to remember that.
    I have had 4 days (up until today) that I have sat having panic attack after panic attack .... constantly ringing my mum for reassurance. Getting in such a state. I wish I could bring myself to talk to my doc, but I just can't. X

I wish I could talk to my dr. What did you say? Mine will probably think that I'm being silly. I don't want to go on any medication for anxiety but anti emets sound good.