Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Streaks?

Post Streaks?

So I am always worried that my streak is going to end. I have not v* in 9 years. I feel like its been too long for it not to have happened, so it will happen soon. My boyfriend v* yesterday, and I'm afraid I will catch it too. Anyone else have streaks and worry about this?

Default Re: Streaks?

I agree 100% with you.

It's part of being phobic and thinking irrationally. There is no physicall reason for you to be sick after a certain amount of years just to break your 'streak' so to speak. As long as you stay on alert and are careful, you could almost certainly go for a long time without ever getting sick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's just superstition. I often think this way, but it is definitely irrational. There is no limit for how long you can go without getting sick. As long as you're very careful, and keep excellent hygiene, you should be absolutely fine!

i worry about streaks i am 29 and honestly don't remember the last time i v* i had to be like 7 or 8 yrs old, i worry all the time

'Streaks' are very bad for emet because you get more afraid of something the longer you go without doing it and also your fear also is that you will break your streak so it's even more pressure on yourself. I found my emet was always better recently after being sick but if I went over 4 years it would be pretty bad.
    Vomiting isn't really that bad, just gross. It's being scared of it that sucks!
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

I went over 20 years without V*ing. I actually broke my "streak" in the summer of 2008. I tried everything to stop it but our bodies have a mind of their own. I was sick in January of this years and after a few hours of God-awful dry heaves, I v*ed a tiny bit. I'm hoping for another long "streak" again. LOL
    Yahoo:Medical_assisting_mom1976
    AIM: USAFWIFE4LIFE
    Mommy of Two:
    Kayla-8/26/1997-01/29/2017 Rest In Peace, Sweet Girl! My Guardian Angel...
    Ethyn-10/28/2002

Quote Originally Posted by brendaj1976 View Post
    I went over 20 years without V*ing. I actually broke my "streak" in the summer of 2008. I tried everything to stop it but our bodies have a mind of their own. I was sick in January of this years and after a few hours of God-awful dry heaves, I v*ed a tiny bit. I'm hoping for another long "streak" again. LOL
    What was it like after such a long dry spell. When it was over, did you say, "phew...that wasn't as bad as thought it would be?" Did you feel like all the worrying these years was much ado about nothing? I'm curious to know what it's like after such a long streak.

It's been 20 years for me, as far as getting nauseous and puking.

About 5 years into the streak, I tried self-inducing to see if that would improve my outlook. It didn't provoke the anxiety that comes from being genuinely nauseous. It wasn't even all that gross. And it did not affect my anxiety because I was in control of it.

BUT there is another way to look at it, besides "it has been too long - it's bound to happen soon." I see it as a "trend" or "chance" situation. It's scientifically sound.

For instance, so far my body has functioned without any vomiting for the past 20 years. That is 7300 V-free days. If I was looking at a mechanical system that had run without any issues for 7300 consecutive days, I would say that the chances are VERY LOW that anything will go wrong in the near future.

So - When my irrational mind says I may be getting sick; I turn to the part of me that is well grounded. There, I find peace in knowing that my body has functioned over SEVEN THOUSAND DAYS without any V'ing. So why would anything different happen now?

This is one of the major ways I began talking myself out of "false nausea" when I was in the depths of my anxiety.

Peace!
    David

Quote Originally Posted by mooki View Post
    What was it like after such a long dry spell. When it was over, did you say, "phew...that wasn't as bad as thought it would be?" Did you feel like all the worrying these years was much ado about nothing? I'm curious to know what it's like after such a long streak.
    It was horrible. I couldn't stop it. I can say that I felt much better though.
    Yahoo:Medical_assisting_mom1976
    AIM: USAFWIFE4LIFE
    Mommy of Two:
    Kayla-8/26/1997-01/29/2017 Rest In Peace, Sweet Girl! My Guardian Angel...
    Ethyn-10/28/2002

I broke my 22 year streak during Christmas 2008. Was it horrible? Yes, but I have to say that the actual v* was the least of my concerns. I was 8 months pregnant at the time and I started to have preterm labour and my baby's heartrate was crazy because of my fever. That was infinitely more important. That experience really put things into perspective for me. V* is horrible and disgusting and I had the worst anxiety attack, but the fact of the matter is I survived and I'm still here.
    This is the way I'm choosing to try to think about the situation when my 21 month old gets his first sv*. I'm horrified every day, but I'm trying not to let it define me. I'm really afraid, but I know that he will need me and it can't last forever. Even if my husband and I get it too, it will be over in a few days. I will get past it and go on with my life.

There isn't one of us that wouldn't survive!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Do you know why you Vted ? I always find it hard to get my head roubd the fact that the body can behave itself for all those years, & then be so disobedient. I hav`ent V ted in over 13 years, & I would never forgive my body if it did that to me. a person can prevent Vting if they`re determined enough, it just amounts to training your body to do as it`s told.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyfairy View Post
    Do you know why you Vted ? I always find it hard to get my head roubd the fact that the body can behave itself for all those years, & then be so disobedient. I hav`ent V ted in over 13 years, & I would never forgive my body if it did that to me. a person can prevent Vting if they`re determined enough, it just amounts to training your body to do as it`s told.
    Everyone has a different threshold for v*ing. For some it's impossible for others even stress or a mild stomach ache might bring it on. I saw a program about sword swallowers on the History Channel a few weeks back and how they have to suppress the gag reflex and other "automatic" and involuntary reflexes. So is it possible to stop it, I guess for some people it is, maybe for everyone, maybe not. Most non emets and even some of us would just let it happen if it got bad enough. But yeah I was surely thinking of emets, and our avoidant behavior to v*ing and how this might explain how some people can really shut it down, while most seem not to be able to.

I last v*d in mid 1986, so my streak is currently 24 years! I'm glad but I also get anxious when I feel really sick because I don't want to BE sick.