Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: hi guys

Default hi guys

Hi guys,
    I've finally joined this support group after years of trying to deny or ignore my emet. I'm nearly 25 and this year is the worst my emet has ever been. I think I've finally decided to actually do something about my phobia because I've met someone this year and he has asked me to marry him and we are planning a future and a family and there's all these things he wants to do like go out and experience the world that scares me because I know that at this point with my emet it is going to be really difficult for me to be a part of because I'm just so terrified of travel, pregnancy and anything that poses risk of getting sick.
    The last time I actually got sick was about 15 years ago and I seemed to deal with it okay until the next time about 4 or so years later when I felt it was going to happen I just freaked out and panic attacked.
    I found out there was a name for my phobia many years ago but the turning point for me to actually stand up and say hey I'm not coping was a few weeks ago after missing a period and feeling sick for a couple weeks. I took a pregnancy test and got what turned out to be a false positive, but at the time, thinking that I was pregnant and staring down the barrel at months of potential morning sickness/vomiting was absolutely terrifying. It was heartbreaking to me that my partner seemed so excited at the prospect of a child and all I was thinking was that I was going to get sick and I just felt selfish and irrational. So at this point I had to just tell him about my fear because I didnt want him to misunderstand. He has been very supportive but for him vomiting is just a simple bodily function and I don't think non-sufferers fully understand.
    I'm at the point now where I'm nearly 25 and I should be out enjoying life and I feel that my condition is holding me back as there are so many things my friends and family are enjoying that I'm missing out on I hate feeling like I'm living a restricted life of fear and anxiety.
    I will say though that actually facing up to my emet has been somewhat comforting and freeing and I really hope that this support group will be able to help me and thankyou for reading.

Default Re: hi guys

we should all be out enjoying life....i agree....

i do know that i go through good and bad periods with my emet.......some good periods lasting for years....which is really nice.......just wish i could figure out how to keep them all good.

coming to this forum has really brough me alot of relief.....just knowing that someone else feels the same way i do is comforting.......i never talked about it before coming here and i'm almost 59 years old.....

hope you get some answers and peace in here
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi Sare,
    Welcome to the site. You should find lots of information and support here. And ask any questions you like!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I feel the same way as you, Sare. I'm sick of this controlling my life. I dream to have kids one day but I know this phobia could hold me back... or cost me a lot of money for months worth of anti-emetics. It seems so stupid to me to be scared of a natural body function. And my boyfriend is so sweet but he just doesn't get it either. I hope we can comfort you, or at least help you realize you're not alone!

thanks guys, I already feel like I'm on the path to recovery just by joining this site. |I think for me the most scary aspect of emet is just the unknown as it's been such a long time since sickness happened it's almost as though I've forgotten what it's like or made it out to be worse than it is.
    I have stopped taking medicines that help the physical sypmtoms of nausea as I don't really like to put a lot of medication in my body and as a way of just trying to overcome it naturally or on my own. It's also really hard to have to go to the doctors and get a prescription every time.
    I am booking into a psychiatrist this month but I'm a bit worried that they may have never dealt with this phobia before given that I live in rural Australia and my option of therapists is limited. At the very least I'm sure they will be able to help me manage my general anxiety!

SO I'm off to the doctors tomorrow morning wish me luck am soo nervous. My bf had/has anxiety though and he went to the same doctor and said she was great. I have met her before and liked her. It's just going to be a bit hard to talk to the doctor about it I think since it's taken me about a decade just to tell one person BUT I know it is the first step to recovery! You can't fix a problem unless u first acknowledge that you have one!

Good luck! Welcome to IES!

Oh my, I think you have made the BEST decision by coming here. I just joined a few days ago, and I'm already starting to feel better about my phobia.

I've had it pretty rough recently too, I've gotten to the point where I don't even want to be alive anymore. And I'm a person that always said I loved living, and that I didn't understand suicide and why people do it. But now, I can understand.

I've been nervous on and off all day today, because I haven't been as hungry as I want to be, so I'm assuming it's because I'm sick. But, I remembered that there are other people out there that are just as scared of this as I am, and it calmed me down. Knowing that I'm not alone and that possibly a person in the same place as I am is worrying about the same thing, has given me so much peace of mind.

It's a great step to recovery, and we're all here for you whenever you need us.

I know how you feel....
    I became preganant with my son when I was 25, and I was more worried about getting morning sickness than ANYTHING. Since most of us 'emeto-phobes' can go YEARS without v*ing, I wasn't all that surprised that I didn't have morning sickness.
    Anyway, I'm glad you found this group (I am glad I found it as well). We all welcome you with open arms and I hope that you take comfort in knowing that we've all been where you are and that we completely understand what your going through.
    -Tishina

Thanks so much guys my doctor was great she was actually really intrigued by the phobia as she'd never heard of it. I gave her some information I'd printed on emetophobia and she referred me to a clinical psychologist so will see how that goes I'm actually strangely excited because I can see recovery