Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What food/drink reminds you of a bad experience?

Does anybody else avoid eating or drinking certain things cos they trigger a memory of a previous v* experience?

Whilst I was in primary school (aged about 7), a boy got s* after drinking a strawberry milkshake. He was standing next to me and I think some of it went on me!! To this day, and Im now 44, I cant stand the smell of strawberry milkshakes. Around the same age I went on a school trip to the seaside and one boy got travel sick after eating cherries - yet another thing I dont eat. Also as a child whenever I v* my parents would give me a glass of water and an extra strong mint to take the taste away. Yup youve guessed it, I cant stand the taste of either now. Am I just crazy or are any of you the same?

Default Re: What food/drink reminds you of a bad experience?

you are definitely not crazy......i can't drink 7 up because it was always the sv drink when i was a kid........i'm more about clothes that i wore.....anniversary dates of sv.......that kind of stuff.....it sucks
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

After seeing a kid at school barf out a quart of milk that he drank too fast; I went for YEARS without drinking white milk. Still to this day I only drink chocolate milk!

David

I get a little antsy around Chicken Parmesan, b/c I was eating some before I felt really s* and was when my emet experience started.

I can't eat Steak. I had really bad food poisoning from it when I was like, 7. Now, i'm 20 and still won't eat it. It's really ridiculous, actually. I can't take it. I used to LOVE it, and I even want to eat it sometimes. I just can't bring myself to doing it, though.

Watermelon and seafood.

I went on a picnic at age four and remember eating watermelon. Never again. I've never eaten watermelon or used watermelon-scented things or even eaten watermelon-flavored things. On the Fourth of July here in the US, someone had brought a cake decorated like a watermelon for us to eat. I didn't eat it just because it was so similar to this demon fruit.

As for seafood, I remember feeling really n* after reeking of seafood after coming back from my grandma's house. In my mind, all seafood is contaminated, and if I have to eat it, eating in small quantities helps my anxiety. Less contaminated seafood means a less of a chance to get s* or a less violent experience in my mind.

I'm a mess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by nhernandez1194 View Post
    Watermelon and seafood......
    Wow. I sort of understand seafood because it is an animal-based protein. But watermelon?
    I'm not trying to make fun nor doubt you, but I'd like to understand this.

Respectfully,
    David

The first time I'd ever V'd as a kid, I remember I had pizza the night before. It was a chilly night in November and I was outside playing with other kids in the apartment. My mom told me it's cold out and I better put on a jacket or I'm going to get sick. I didn't listen. The next day while I school I started coming down with a malaise and my stomach hurt. I never experienced this before. I had noro. My dad came to pick me up around noon or so. Within a minute after getting out of the car, I felt a weird sensation and didn't know what was happening. I started running in some kind of panic then it all came up right there in the apartment walkway. And it looked like I'd been eating pizza. Then I went inside and did it again on the living room floor. Some of the V got on my sneaker and even a few days after it dried, there was a reddish-orange stain on it. My mom said to clean that sneaker, it's making her sick to look at it. So I sort of associate pizza with that first time. However pizza is so damn good it's not like I'm ever going to stop eating it.

Mine is stew or any form of casserole and Macdonalds i cant even stand the smell of either .

My hubby loves stews and casseroles and in the 9 years we have been together i havent been able to cook him one i just cant .
    My eldest went to a friends house one night for a sleepover and i asked her what she had for dinner and she said i didnt eat it mum it looked yuck, it was stew they hadnt even seen it let alone eaten it in their life lol

Lipton Iced Tea. How does that NOT taste like v* to everyone?

And since my dad threw up on me after eating oranges during his cancer treatments, I can't bring myself to eat one.
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

Cherry or apple pastries, never again.

Barbecue chicken.
    "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

Last time I v* it was after eating Frankenberry cereal. I won't go near it. Its cousin Count Chocula I cant get enough of tho lol

I havent had spaghetti sauce in 16 years. When i was 12 I got ill from a SV after having spaghetti for dinner. That was the end, I no longer eat sauce or tomatoes or ketchup, basically anything with tomato sauce. I still eat pasta but it has to have alfredo sauce or butter and garlic.

I THINK that's why I don't like tomatoes anymore. I used to eat them right off the vine in my parents' garden! One of the worst v* memories I have is when a kid in my class in 4th grade (I still remember his name) v* stewed tomatoes that they had served at lunch. He was running out the classroom door to the bathroom and didn't make it and ended up hitting another kid's shoes (I remember his name too lol) I remember the red stain on the carpet and the kid's shoes and I think it freaked me out because at first, I though it was
    blood.
    I'll eat spaghetti sauce as long as there aren't chunks and pieces of skin in it. I eat salsa, but I dip a chip in and shake off the chunks and just eat it with the juice on it. Lol and I eat ketchup, again, because it's smooth. Oh, and I can't even watch anyone eat stewed tomatoes! My Mom makes them for my Dad sometimes and I can't stand the smell let alone be in the room when he eats them.

Oh yeah, for a long time I didn't eat tacos, anything with rice in it, red beets, or sauerkraut because of experiences with sv after eating those things. I've since gotten over those though.

Fire water!!!

Cheese and chive crisps... and crisps called "thingies". I loved "thingies" when I was a kid, but I remember I was so sick, I couldn't even swallow one. I had to spit it back out.

Hot Damn, you know the alcoholic drink? Shudddddder. It's cinnamon evil. I ate chili before I drank that, and the outcome was not pretty. I still love chili though. I don't even like to look at the label Hot Damn at the store, it makes my stomach turn. Ugh.
    JANNA

Quote Originally Posted by jandub View Post
    Hot Damn, you know the alcoholic drink?....
    Oh yeah! "Liquid Redhots" candy! I don't really drink much at all. But I do like Hot Damn, in limited, reasonable amounts. I think I'm drawn to it for the same reason I like hot spices, wasabi, mustard etc.

Mine is chocolate mud cake. On my 8th birthday, I ate chocolate mud cake, and drank red cordial, and I can't stand either, the drink to a lesser extent.

I have a verrry hard time with red Kool-aid, rice krispie treats, triscuits, or twizzlers.... Ugh. I also don't like wearing a certain shade of purple cuz I puked on myself while wearing an icky purple sweatshirt when i was 4.

I can't drink ice coffee because in 1984 I think it was, a boy drank ice coffee during recess, ran around a lot and then was sick when we were lined up to go back into class. I even had to walk past it - yuck.

My family would always travel in the car to see our relatives at Christmas time when I was growing up and I was always sick in the car. One time in the early 1980s before we left, I drank black coffee and was sick before I reached the car. I have never drunk black coffee since.

For Xmas when i was around 10, i found a quart size milk-type carton of chocolate covered Malt balls in my stocking. Of course i had toooo much and felt very sick (only). 40 years later i still feel sick when i think of that carton or see/smell malt balls.
    As a teenager experiementing with those little black incense cones, again a Xmas gift, i kinda overwhelmed myself in my small bedroom by burning a whole one. Again felt very ill. I was listening to a new album at the same time that featured a particular instrument and now smelling incense burning or hearing that instrument makes my stomach turn.
    I later learned about this kind of 'learning' in a psych class. If i remember correctly its kind of an unusually powerful type of learning, that occurs with the digestive system, in that it can be so long lasting after just one exposure to the 'situation', (most powerful when whatever is encountered is somehow a new and unique situation, like trying a new food and then gettng sick. My Xmas connection makes sense- first time with chocolate malt balls/ incense/ this of type of music). Its like the digestive system, under certain conditions, has this super-connection with the part of our brain that forms memories. Animals have the same type of ability.....its a basic survival type thing, (ie, eat something new+get sick=avoidance of it... for life, unless new learning takes place), but like so many of the wonderful things our brains can do, it can get kinda messed up at times and create these weird faulty connections....which for me means so far i don't enjoy malt balls (no loss..lol), incense and the Pan flute (again no loss...lol....thankfully it wasn't my first exposure to electric guitar!!). I'll have to check on this, but i'm sure relearning and changing/minimizing these connections is possible, but of course it can be difficult to generate the motivation to oppose these powerful memories.

(ok, class is over...lol)

A few years ago I was coming down with my zillionth case of strep throat. For lunch I ordered Chicken Tempura and Vegetables, thinking it would be tempura chicken w/ a mixed vegetable base. At the time I LOVED Tempura, and was on a real Japanese kick. I was wrong, though, it was chicken, but the vegetables were just long strips of zucchini, carrot and whatever else ALSO deep fried in the tempura. It was a total tempura over-load. The greasy smell just filled my tiny basement office, and after a few bites just completely started turning my stomach. I didn't get sick, but it was enough.

That was about 4 years ago and I STILL can't go near Tempura. The combo of the smell, overload and already not feeling well just turned me off to it FOREVER. I even had to find a new sushi place because the one I went to smelled so much like it.
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

I also refuse to drink any alcoholic drinks that taste like aniseed, like Ouzo and Pastis. I was given this horrible pink medicine once when I was a child and I tried to disguise the taste by taking a sip of the medicine after I took a mouthful of juice. It took so long to drink the medicine that eventually I filled the medicine glass with water in the hope that I didn't have to drink it. Unfortunately my Mum made me and eventually it made me v*. It was only after that happened, that my Mum told me I didn't have to take it anymore, and she took me back to the doctors and I was given a different prescription.

I am literally afraid of pineapple. When I was 8, I was at my gramma's house and had one of those fruit cup things that had pineapple in it, and later that night I got miserably sick and saw pineapple in it. To this day, I don't eat pineapple and I can't even tolerate the smell of it. I also can't drink milk anymore, but that's because I became lactose intolerant after I had e. coli bacterial poisoning when I was 10 (all I drank was milk.)

OH, and I'm the same as olschesky, I threw out all the clothes I wore when I was sick. I hated being reminded of it...

I cant eat Steak Subs anymore , Or ANYTHING i ate while i was pregnant ..it sucks ... And cant stand the sight or smell of alcohol

I cant drink pink lemonade.
    when i was little i had a nice big glass of it, and V* it up an hour or 2 later.

also jager.
    cant stand it, V* + jager is no good