Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you have any other phobias/fears other than emet?

I have slight agoraphobia. It doesn't control my life in any way though. I just feel some mild anxiety if I'm in a position where I have to leave home and there's no way of getting back home if I choose. For example, if there's a party, I almost insist on driving myself so that if I need to leave, I'm not stuck there. This fear has often gone hand in hand with emetophobia. Often it's just a matter of knowing I can leave anytime if I start to feel nausea. I have a fear of being stuck somewhere with horrible nausea and not being in a position where I can go back home.
    Last edited by mooki; 11-07-2010 at 11:58 PM.

Default Re: Do you have any other phobias/fears other than emet?

I am claustrophobic under certain conditions. Basically, I'll panic if I have to go through any tight space, especially crawling, where I can feel the walls actually touching my body. Small rooms don't really bother me so long as I don't feel the walls themselves touching me. If there are lots of people in a small room, then I would feel the slight panic of claustrophobia.

My last unofficial fear would be of social situations. If I'm the mood, I'm this talkative, social, people-loving person, but that quickly ends and I get nervous and awkward around people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In addition to Emetophobia, I have Panic Disorder, Agoraphobia, and OCD. They are all symptoms of Complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, which is my diagnosis.

I get anxiety in social situations. It there are more than 1 or 2 other people (people I know) I start to feel it.

Crowds of complete strangers don't bother me. It's just people I know. One on one it is no problem. But get a group going, and it kills me!

Thanks,
    David

i think all my phobias are emet related......a little agoraphobia....but only because im afraid ill be sick.....same with airplanes or anything i don't have control over. i also always drive when we go anywhere......just in case i need to leave.........
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i have some agoraphobia, some social phobia but not so much of meeting new people but embaressing myslef, i have ocd as well. i get scared of the dark too so dont worry. i sleep with the tele on and it helps
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Yep i sleep with my ensuite light on and my tele on if we have a blackout i dont sleep at all im a wreck, which is funny as im 38 a mum of 7 and my kids arent afraid of the dark but mummy is lol

I also have slight OCD, agoraphobia and panic disorder but like olschesky most is emet related i hate travelling , have never been on a plane and hate not being the driver just n case i have to leave

I have social phobia. Like with emet, I've had this for a long, long time. It is so bad that I feel incredibly anxious just visiting family members. Many of my cousins don't speak to me, because they think I am "selfish" and "weird" for not visiting my grandfather more. I also have OCD, which is for the most part, connected with the emetophobia. But I do get intrusive thoughts as well.

I'm also arachnophobic. I am absolutely TERRIFIED of spiders. I have to search my entire room every night before I go to sleep, to make sure there isn't one lurking somewhere.

Some general social anxiety, and I'm always worried about being 'abandoned' somewhere. If I'm out with a group of friends I have to keep someone in my sights at all times, I'm always afraid I'm going to be ditched.

I don't mind the dark at all, but at the haunted house I had to be holding onto someone during the pitch black attractions, but only because of the reasons above. I did get 'lost' in one of those little carnival ones that are so dark you can't see. . . my shoe slipped off and when I stopped to fix it, my friends went on. I couldn't find the hall and kept walking into the walls! I had to wait for the next group to come through to find the way out. So I actually find it more comforting when there's a 'monster' person in there to jump out at me. . . they'll know the way out, too!
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

Quote Originally Posted by NaiveAndTrue View Post
    ....at the haunted house I had to be holding onto someone during the pitch black attractions, but only because of the reasons above.....
    I love these things!

One year I was in a particularly intense part of Sloss Furnaces huanted house, and my friend behind me was really holding onto me. Instead of holding onto my shoulders like most people do, he was holding around my chest! It sure felt good.... until I noticed that it wasn't my friend - it was someone in a green furry monster suit holding onto me!!!

David

I'm soooo scared of needles!! Whenever I go for a jab I have a panic attack almost as bad as when I feel n* (which then makes me start to feel n* so it just gets worse and worse lol!)

I also have OCD which isn't just emet related, I get lots of intrusive thoughts that lead to me being anxious about loads of random things - A couple of weeks ago I was too scared to go and buy stamps from the post office :S lol.

x
    "One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" - Helen Keller

Fear of change, forgot to add.

I dont like heights, dont know why and its not so bad as to make it impossible to be anywhere high. I do remember about 20 years ago crossing the seven bridge (from England into Wales), my boyfriend was driving and it was really windy, in fact they had stopped high sided vehicles from crossing because of the danger that they would blow over. Anyway I spent the entire time crying with my eyes shut. Weird!!

Nothing even comes close to my emet though. I HATE it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by abbu View Post
    I have social phobia. Like with emet, I've had this for a long, long time. It is so bad that I feel incredibly anxious just visiting family members. Many of my cousins don't speak to me, because they think I am "selfish" and "weird" for not visiting my grandfather more. I also have OCD, which is for the most part, connected with the emetophobia. But I do get intrusive thoughts as well.

I'm also arachnophobic. I am absolutely TERRIFIED of spiders. I have to search my entire room every night before I go to sleep, to make sure there isn't one lurking somewhere.

I am defiantely scared of spiders pretty bad. i didnt say so cause i tought its got nothin to do with the phobia. if there is a spider, no matter how big it is, i will leave the house and wont come back until its gone. and they are everywhere here!! i completely freak out even if i see a harmless one
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

I forgot to add, that I get a major anxiety attack when the doctor takes my blood pressure. It makes me want to run!!!!

I also have panic disorder and social anxiety. Emet is my most severe phobia, however I am afraid of thunderstorms. Flying also makes me quite anxious, and public speaking. As well as drs and hospitals. Starting to develop of fear of certain dental procedures, esp. impressions.

I may have a panic disorder/anxiety disorder of some kind, which Im pretty convinced laid the ground work for a phobia like emet to take over. Very interesting to read here how common it is to have phobias that come in clusters when you have emet..

Oh, as a kid used to have a severe phobia of grasshoppers. If I saw one, my heart would start pounding and I'd feel that shot of adrenaline. If there was a grasshopper on the sidewalk I would have to cross to the other side. I'd have obsessive thoughts about grasshoppers just leaping out of nowhere and landing on me. I know, weirdest phobia ever. I reacted to grasshoppers the way an arachnopobe would to a tarantula. Eventually, the phobia just went away on its own. I no longer try to avoid them. I won't go and touch them or pick them up, but they don't scare me anymore. I think just like some phobias start for no reason that we can remember, sometimes they just go away for no reason that we can remember too. I hope the same is true of emet. I do feel like my emet is slowly going away. It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be though it's still there. There was a time that I'd have rather died than V. Now I can look back and almost laugh at how ridiculous I was. However last year when I came quite close to it, I was feeling quite scared and wouldn't let it happen even though it should have. So I still have work to be done.
    Last edited by mooki; 10-13-2010 at 03:38 PM.

When I was younger I was really afraid of the dark, I'm not sure why but it was mainly when I was around 7 so I guess that's somewhat normal. I'm scared of needles, mainly like IVs and having your blood taken. The thought of having an IV is like the same as thinking about v*ing, not quite as bad though. Also surgery is something else I'm afraid of, but not quite as bad as emet. I think my fear of surgery began with me being afraid that surgery would make me v* but then it just kinda became it's own separate fear. I'm having my wisdom teeth out on the 27th and I'm so scared of that, I'm scared of the IV, the actual surgery part, but I'm not really scared of v*ing because I know it's unlikely to happen. None are as bad as emet though, luckily.
    That happens sometimes, it's life. It happens, there's nothing you can do to stop it. Life just happens.

i have an extreme fear of flying. mostly because i am in a plane, where i know is a place i can't escape if i start to get anxious and have an anxiety attack. i also have a very large fear of heights, which i believe adds to my fear of flying. i find traveling extremely difficult

This brings to mind one more of my quirks. Yeah I got a few it seems....

My shirt absolutely can not be baggy or loose. If it is, my level of self-confidence is seriously harmed. It's all about the feeling of it. I have to feel the fabric, particularly on my chest area. If not; I feel vulnerable, exposed, and insecure.

If I have to wear a loose shirt (uniforms etc.) I wear a cotton shirt under it, so that I still feel the fabric on my body without any looseness. Then I have better self-esteem.

Go figure!
    David

I have a fear of heights. I can't even walk close to a railing without getting dizzy.

oh yer i dont do heights good as well

I have always been a bit phobic about blood, if someone cuts themselves, I feel a bit faint, & feel like running away from them. luckily I practically never see any, as I`m past the menopause, & I am very careful when handling anything sharp. I used to suffer from panic disorder, & got addicted to tranqillisers in the 80`s, My doctorput me on sertraline after I kicked the trannies, but those pills made me very nauseous at times, so I quit them too. Strangely, I felt much better when I stopped all medication, 13 years ago, & I`m no longer having panic attacks, apart from feeling a little anxious in very tight spaces, & of course the blood thing.

I used to be scared of slugs. Not as bad as the emetophobia, but bad enough. If I saw one unexpectedly (like putting the rubbish in the bin, lift the lid and there it is) it would send me all shaky and sweaty and heart pounding. If I saw one I would just stay as far away as possible. But the fear just sort of went away on its own, I think the more I saw them the less I feared them.

I think most of my phobias are emetophobic related. I am slightly agoraphobic because I am worried I will feel ill in public or someone around me will be ill. I try to avoid crowd peak times when shopping or going to a restaurant. I hate to fly because I am absolutely terrified someone will be ill. I have anxiety about a lot of things and I can pin them to the fear of V or N.

Nothing is as bad in the way that it gives me panic attacks.

I am really scared of water on my face though. I have a mini heart attack every time I wash my face in the shower lol. I have no idea why!

You may find these links helpful!

I don't like it when anyone stands behind me, or hovers over my shoulder. It makes me very nervous. My dad used to do it at the dinner table to freak me out. LOL.

I also need my 'own air'. I love my boyfriend to pieces, but when we're sleeping at night I can't stand if I'm breathing in his breath. I remember that back to as a kid and I would cuddle w/ my mom or dad on the couch, too. Weird, right?

Neither one is really a 'phobia', I don't sit around obsessing someone's going to walk up behind me or anything, but they both make me uncomfortable.
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

I think that because I'm an emet, I have other phobias but they all relate back to my emet.. such as

-long car rides
    -being in crowded places
    -being far away from home
    -feeling sick while not at home
    -eating at restaurants (more of an annoyance than a phobia)
    -using public restrooms

.. that sort of thing.
    "there's a light at the end of this tunnel" you shout, 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out. these mistakes you make, you'll just make them again if you only try turning around.. and breathe. just breathe <3

Not a fear per se but butterflies/moths give me the creeps.

With being an emet I'm developing serious social anxiety