Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Pepto Bismol immunty?

For about the last 5 years, pepto tablets have been my anti-emetic of choice. I feel like they are becoming less effective. I used to be able to take 2 and feel better within 20 minutes. After a few years it seemed like I had to take 3 to get the effect that 2 used to have. Now oftentimes 3 doesn't work. Sometimes my ginger pills seem to be losing their potency too. I'm trying to stay away from pepto and hopefully it'll become more effective again.

Are there any stronger anti-nausea medicines I can get without prescription? Have you guys built any immunity to you medicines?

Default Re: Pepto Bismol immunty?

never used pepto as an anti emet.......my mom gave it to us as kids when we were sick....never seemed to help and i've never been able to stand the taste or smell of it since. i suppose your body builds up a tolerance to anything if you take it too often. my anti emets are reserved for very very bad times.....which thankfully dont happen too much. i do drink ginger tea when my tummy feels a little off........i do have a prescription for phenergan........take 1/4 of a tablet like 5 times a year for the really bad times........other than that i have tried dramamine which seems to work but makes you very sleepy......don't think it's a good idea to take meds like that on a regular basis......

not much help i'm sure........try distractions for your anxiety.......that's still my favorite thing for getting rid of it
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My best friend loves Pepto. It's his security blanket. He's not emet, but he had some very serious stomach issues as a kid. He carries his Pepto bottle around like a wino with his wine flask.

When I ride in his car, the floorboard is littered with empty pepto bottles, just like mine is littered with empty Diet Dr. Pepper bottles.

Having said that - he still uses it and it still works for him!

David

i used pepto for years until i heard it was bad for you well the bismuth...but I used to use it 3 times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    My best friend loves Pepto. It's his security blanket. He's not emet, but he had some very serious stomach issues as a kid. He carries his Pepto bottle around like a wino with his wine flask.

When I ride in his car, the floorboard is littered with empty pepto bottles, just like mine is littered with empty Diet Dr. Pepper bottles.

Having said that - he still uses it and it still works for him!

David
    Bottles? Doesn't he know it comes in chewable tablet form? I always keep a few in my pocket if I'm going to be away from home for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by mooki View Post
    Bottles? Doesn't he know it comes in chewable tablet form? I always keep a few in my pocket if I'm going to be away from home for awhile.
    Lol! I think (for my buddy at least) the pepto is serving as a placebo now. There was a time he needed it but NOBODY could have upset stomach as much as he claims to. Possibly the action of taking out the bottle, opening the cap, and taking a "swig" of it is theraputic for him?

Personally, I really don't care for the taste of it, but to each his own!

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    Personally, I really don't care for the taste of it,
    David - it tastes better than vomit!

Pepto-Bismol is my standby too. I try to use it as little as I have to. I don't even go through a bottle a year. As I repeat to anyone who will listen, Pepto-Bismol has proven powerful enough in laboratory tests at suppressing the vomiting center that it can even counteract a small dose of syrup of ipecac.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    David - it tastes better than vomit!
    Lol yep that is true!

When I was a tiny little kid, well before I was emet, I had a bad chest congestion / cold kind of thing. It gave me a fever and I was really out of it.

Next day I woke up and mom and grandma told me I kept asking for Pepto and would not go to bed until they gave it to me!

I had heard people say it helped whe they were "sick" and I didn't understand there were different kinds of sick. This was before I had ever vomited the first time.

David

pepto does not work for me anymore. when i started to get theis stomach ache, i would alway go for the pepto tablets.... and over the weekend i finished the whole box(16 tablets) over 3 days... and it didnt work.. so now im using a generic liquid maylax... and it working okay.

i'm a maalox user today......when i get that horrible bloated, n feeling.......it's all gas usually
    how i feel about emet

I have used pepto in the past when some medication that I was taking was making me feel sick ( sertraline). I t worked fine, but then my doctor gave me maxolon, which worked just as well.

I used to drink pepto straight from the bottle. It always helped me.
    I quit taking ANY meds for years but just the other day I bought some pepto in pill form (since i now cant handle the taste). Haven't tried them yet though.
    My mom and brother can't take it. The taste actually makes them sick, which kinda turned me off of it.

I suppose your body can build up some kind of tolerance, but you'd have to really take it allll the time.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

I know this is old, but pepto is my standby, but i get the cherry chewables. They are a bit chalky, but i can take a half at a time so I dont build immunity. They taste WAY better then the regualr pink stuff, i cant even smell that crap, lol