Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: The Flu

Hi, quick question.

As you know, I had the stomach flu 2 weeks ago. I was wondering if I am
    exposed to it, will I re catch it or is my immune system now immune to
    it and if so, for how long? Sorry, this has just been on my mind
    a lot lately, what with the news saying, "FLU OUTBREAK, GET THE FLU
    SHOT!" la de la de la. Thanks!! xxx

I'd say that you're probably immune to it now. I don't know anyone who has had it twice in one winter but I don't know.

Let's hope you don't get it!! xx

Laura; I think you will be fine. It depends on certain people to catch the flu a number of times in a year. The young ones and the elderly. They are more acceptable to flu's because there immune system are not that strong to fight off the bugs. Eat healthy, drink lots of water and wash your hands. You will be fine.

It does depend on each person though. My husband caught the Norwalk virus twice once year, and he is very healthy, but he was working a crappy job where he had to work in raw sewage. So, that could have been it too. I think that if you eat properly, get enough sleep, and take care of yourself, you should be fine. Try not to worry.

Also remember that the "flu" that they are talking about on TV in "influenza" which is a respitory flu not a stomach flu. So a flu shot doesn't protect you from a stomach bug.

The flu shot only protects you from influenza, and not the stomach flu. As for being immune to the stomach flu...it just all depends on if you are exposed to the same strain. (which would mean you can't get it again) If you come in contact with a new strain, you can get it.

I have had 3 different stomach bugs...all in one winter (in year 2000), since they were all different strains.

I doubt that will happen to you though. It is a very rare thing. Hope I helped! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Charlotte

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I don't catch the flu very easily. I've only had it twice in my
    life, once in grade 2 and a few weeks ago. So since its especially odd
    for me, I think I will be fine judging by what all you guys have said.
    Thanks again! xxx

Quote Originally Posted by charzysbebe

The flu shot only protects you from influenza, and not the stomach flu. As for being immune to the stomach flu...it just all depends on if you are exposed to the same strain. (which would mean you can't get it again) If you come in contact with a new strain, you can get it.

She's right. Your body builds up antibodies for the stomach flu after having it.
    <font color=RED><font size=\"4\"> FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL----fear</font>

Well, your body builds up immunity to a certain virus. But, since there are many different strains of viruses that cause stomach viruses, your body would be able to fight off the certain virus, but if you had a different type of virus enter, youmay not be completely immune to it. For example, if you had a strain of Norwalk, you may be able to fight it off extremely easily with the antibodies, but if a rotavirus were to enter, your body might not fight it off (unless you have had a rotavirus). But most people do not get stomach viruses very often. That is because it just fights it off. Your body probably fights off many illness-causing germs a day. All you have to do is take those preventive measures and keep washing those hands. And try to stay away from sick people. However, I have read that you are only completely immune to the stomach virus for a certain amount of time. Meaning, a person might be able to catch Norwalk more than once in their life (or any other stomachvirus), but more viruses that enter the body are fought off. So, you might catch it later in life, but your body might fight it off more easily too because it has the... "blueprints" of the virus that you had and would recognize it more easily. So, you may not catch that certain virus again. For the "immunity for only a while" thing, I am no sure if this is true, butit would be hard for the virus to get past the antibodies and immune system things.

Um... if you are thinking about ever getting a shot for a stomach "flu", it would be worthless (probably) against fighting the stomach virus because the flu shot is made for fighting the actual flu (influenza), not the stomach "flu". There is no such thing as a "flu" in the stomach. Too bad they do not really have a vaccine for gastroenteritis...but there are too many viruses that cause gastroenteritis. Hopefully, they are working on one.

Lizzy