Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When you burp and v comes up

I'm sure you've all had this experience. You've let out a deep belch, and a little something more than air comes up. I guess it's basically V because it'll be liquid, and taste very sour and acidic, sometimes even burning your throat. I can often feel little chunks of particles in it. I've never actually spit it out though because I'm afraid to see what it looks like and I'm sure it would look identical to V and I just don't dare want to look at it so I just swallow it back down.

So when this happens, is this considering v*ing in any way? Sure it doesn't involve nausea or large amounts, but your stomach is still sending v back up, right?

Default Re: When you burp and v comes up

There's a word for it that I can't remember, but I know what you're talking about. I don't know if I'd consider that to be v* because it usually doesn't cause me any stress because it's so sudden.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's a "vurp" if I remember the word.

And yep it's so quick and does not have nausea it's a non issue for me most of the time.

It bothers me if it's "white hot" and I don't have anything to drink to rinse the acid back down where it belongs. Every once in a while I get a hot one. Usually from bending in the wrong position and burping. It makes me envision boiling hot fire in my throat.

Thankfully that is a very very rare occurence.

Ciao!
    David

It's not vomit, and it's not vomiting to do it. Vomiting is a specific act of expelling the stomach contents through the mouth. Material goes from the stomach, up, and out of the body in one motion. When you burp, whatever comes up only goes as high as your throat. It is up to you to decide what to do with it when it's in your throat. Even if you spit it out, it is not vomiting. It is spitting.

Furthermore, vomit has intestinal content in it. The unforgettable smell and taste of vomit comes from butyric adic, produced in the small intestine. Stomach acid has no taste at all.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

thats why i dont like to burp, or when i feel sick and do keep burping i think im gonna v*. because when you v* you sometimes burp just before it comes out. but i think its like acid reflux or something. not v*. another word of warning while we're kinda on the subject of things coming up without warning and no n*. dont bend down when you have the hiccups
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

I believe they call it regurgitation
    Life is so worth living.

Quote Originally Posted by nhernandez1194 View Post
    There's a word for it that I can't remember, but I know what you're talking about. I don't know if I'd consider that to be v* because it usually doesn't cause me any stress because it's so sudden.
    I've heard the word "Burf" before.....

It`s refferred to as repeats, it`s not Vting, but just a type of indigestion. It happens to me now & again, & I`ve no idea what causes it. It`s not pleasant, but nowhere near as bad as V.

I call it "blurping" dunno why....

But nope! It's not V at all!

You may find these links helpful!

Is this different from heartburn? Google 'heartburn wikipedia' and 'heartburn and burping'

It is not the same as heartburn. Heartburn is when acid or bile splashes up from the stomach into the esophagus, causing a burning pain, but it does not necessarily reach the throat.

Doug

Ugh! I think what you mean is "reflux" I get that sometimes and it never fails to send a chill down my spine v_v

Yep, this happens to me now and again. I think it is acid reflux. It gave me such a shock the last time it happened. Ugh!

Gah; it just happened about 10 minutes ago, I was walking home so luckily I just spit on the grass.
    It's happened before, so I know what it's like.
    I'm still in a bit of shock about it, I don't feel n* touch wood, but shocked enough to put me off eating for a few hours. See how the anxiety is later :/

Thumbs down Re: When you burp and v comes up

Quote Originally Posted by emmalinda View Post
    thats why i dont like to burp, or when i feel sick and do keep burping i think im gonna v*. because when you v* you sometimes burp just before it comes out. but i think its like acid reflux or something. not v*. another word of warning while we're kinda on the subject of things coming up without warning and no n*. dont bend down when you have the hiccups
    The incident that started my Emetophobia involved a girl, belching and vmtng.
    Uuuuurgh, It's auful.

Quote Originally Posted by emmalinda View Post
    ... another word of warning while we're kinda on the subject of things coming up without warning and no n*. dont bend down when you have the hiccups
    Lol sounds like the voice of experience!

Yes; that happens to me alot! I did it once when i was feeling REALLY full, and accedentally let it out.
    IT WAS HORRIBLE. I was in the shower... It DOES look like V*, so if you ever do it again, i am warning you... DONT LET IT OUT!!!

Oh, and reflux, i know ALL about. As a baby, i had VERY bad reflux. It means you V* if you eat too much. I Did it ALL the time. Yuck!

Ohh I hate it when that happens. Happened to me about last week, makes you jump but I just swallow it and it doesn't happen again xD I'm not frightened of it, it's disgusting and tastes bitter but it's not vomiting and so i don't care about it

I just want to remind people that vomiting is a specific bodily process that expels the stomach contents through the mouth and/or nose. Not everything that results in stomach contents coming up and/or out is vomiting. There is also:

1) burping - where air/gas (and occasionally small bits of fluid or solid stomach content) come up from the stomach
    2) rumination - what we're talking about here ("vurping") where a small bit of stomach content comes up to the throat. This happens not by the muscular force of vomiting but by the wave action (peristalsis) of the muscles of the esophagus.

Neither burping nor rumination can expel solid matter from the body. In order for that to happen, you have to bring the stuff from your throat to your mouth with your tongue and then spit it out. So when something comes up by burping or rumination, you have a choice what to do with it: swallow it, chew it and swallow it, chew it and spit it out, spit it out. When you vomit, you don't have a choice. It just comes out.

Doug

I just burped and had this happen. I don't care if it's not technically v, it tastes just like it! But it really took me by surprise, I don't remember this ever happening before.

Sometimes it's only so small an amount that it barely makes it to my mouth, and every now and then a pretty substantial amount comes up. Enough to feel the little "chunks" in it and all. I always just swallow it back down because I don't want to see what it looks like. A large part of my emet is simply not wanting to see what the stuff looks like that's inside me.

Okay, so while the act of burping stomach contents up isn't necessarily vomiting, the stuff that comes up IS vomit, right?
    Last edited by mooki; 11-22-2010 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mooki View Post
    Okay, so while the act of burping stomach contents up isn't necessarily vomiting, the stuff that comes up IS vomit, right?
    I would say NO, because "vomiting" involves your small intestine sending up it's contents and mixing it with what you recently ate.

It's just food, all mixed up. Depending on the amount of hot sauce I recently ate, I would call it somewhere between "lava" and "molten iron!"

David

I do this from time to time and even with my phobia it does not stress me in the least. It's simple acid reflux from a few causes:
    1. being overly full from food and or drink
    2. a week or overly relaxed esophageal spinchter (common in smokers)
    3. or GERD (gastro esphophageal reflux deasease).

George Carlin did a funny bit about it in one of his acts
    "Geez I almost pu*! Maybe i should not go out under these circumstances"!
    It's harmless...nasty tasting...but harmless!

My dad has Acid Reflux. He likes teasing me with his 'acid'.

Quote Originally Posted by mooki View Post
    No, it isn't. Vomit is matter expelled by vomiting. It's completely different from what is ordinarily in your stomach. All your stomach does is churn food and mix it with stomach acid. Stomach acid has no taste. That's why something that comes up that way tastes like what you ate. On the other hand, vomit doesn't look or taste like what you ate. Here's why: Before you vomit, a large amount of material gushes back into your stomach from your small intestine, bringing all that glop that looks nothing at all like what you ate. The intestinal matter also contains bile and more significantly, butyric acid, which gives vomit its unforgettable smell and taste.

Doug

Here's a philosophical (and gross) question for you then: if I appear to vomit, ie I retch and forcibly eject stuff through my oesophagus and mouth, but there are no intestinal contents, only mashed up food, is that considered vomiting?

Just wondered because this often happens to me from severe pain.

Also, if you do the burpy thing but it does taste of vomit rather than food, does that mean it is vomit?

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    .... All your stomach does is churn food and mix it with stomach acid. Stomach acid has no taste. That's why something that comes up that way tastes like what you ate. ...
    Yep. It is gross and annoying though. Although acid has no real 'taste' it sure can be hot. Sometimes I get a 'vurp' that is like white hot fire, and is breathtaking.

I don't like it, but after the fact, I think about what it represents. I got a taste of the very real strength and power that is within me. This strength and power has allowed me to live my life without ever getting FP or a SV. For that I am thankful, although I would prefer it to stay where it belongs!

David

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca85 View Post
    Here's a philosophical (and gross) question for you then: if I appear to vomit, ie I retch and forcibly eject stuff through my oesophagus and mouth, but there are no intestinal contents, only mashed up food, is that considered vomiting?

Just wondered because this often happens to me from severe pain.

Also, if you do the burpy thing but it does taste of vomit rather than food, does that mean it is vomit?
    Rebecca: Vomiting is expelling stomach contents directly through your mouth without them stopping in your throat. This is true whether or not there is matter from the small intestine in it. Doing the burpy thing is not vomiting no matter what it tastes like.

Doug

Just checking!