Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Feeling helpless

Hi everyone... I have never posted threads before and have never really spoken to many people about my annoying phobia.

I guess I just wanted to hear from people that are scared about seeing other people being sick. I hate being sick myself, but luckily I'm not too scared of it. Its more hearing and seeing other people being sick.

Its terrible as now I hate staying at peoples houses for fear that I will wake up during the night and hear someone being sick. If I hear someone being sick, see it on the floor and am around someone feeling really unwell I get really shakey and just want to run away.

Next week I am flying overseas and I am REALLY scared. I just cant help thinking bad thoughts even though people try to tell me to think positivly.. they just creep into my mind. I think I will scream and cause a huge scene if I am around someone on the plane who gets sick... even though I feel very sorry for them.

Any advice would be great or please reply to let me know if your going through the same thing!

Hope we all get over this terrible fear one day x

Default Re: Feeling helpless

When you go on the plane take your ipod or music player with you just in case. If you are travelling with someone else, try to sit in the window seat with them sat on your other side so you don't have to sit next to a stranger. And rather than thinking 'if anyone gets sick I will scream' think to yourself 'I will stay calm'.

I recently went on two 10 hour flights, with some bad turbulence, and I didn't see or hear anybody being sick, so try not to worry too much!

Good advice about the ipod. I would also choose a nice essential oil you like the smell of to sniff from a tissue to block out any nasty smells plus depending which one you choose, many of them have calming and even anti-nausea properties!

If it helps, many years ago I went round the world and some of the flights were 15 hours long and at a the time i also lived on an island and used to fly back and forth to the mainland every few weeks and in all that time i never ever ever once saw someone be sick or smelled any sick on a plane. You wouldn't even hear it either - bear in mind that the engines are so noisy you can't even hear what the people in the row behind you are saying can you?

Think nice happy calming thoughts, take a guidebook on wherever it is your visiting and think of what a great time you are going to have when you get there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks guys... it is so nice having people to talk to who understand what I am going through. I have a fantastic boyfriend who is so understanding, but its hard as he cant possibly understand just how scary this phobia can be (lucky thing)

I had an exam at university today and someone got sick during it, all I could hear was them being sick and they have this rule that you are not allowed to leave the venue during the first hour. I had to just sit there and my heart was racing.. I didn't finish my exam. I tried to stay calm and take deep breaths but it didn't work and the anxiety took over.

What if someone sat opposite me in the plane and continually was sick and they couldn't move them? Or I couldn't move seats.. I think It would be the worst thing in the world.

Thanks again for your advice x

I am pretty sure they save a couple of seats where the hostesses sit for 'medical reasons'. I guess that would include if someone was very ill.

But let's face it, you survived the exam situation! You could have run out the room screaming (and scored zero on the exam) but you managed to stay. That's a success even if it doesn't seem like it!

I survived a deep sea fishing trip with a VERY seasick woman, OK I might have been huddled in a ball with my fingers in my ears the majority of the time, but I survived. And if the worst comes to the worst, you can survive the plane ride.

Is your emetophobia documented anywhere (have you ever been to your gp or a psychologist or anything?) if so you could try to claim extenuating circumstances for the exam.

Can I ask you guys, when you both how flown around the world, how did you prepare youselves? I'm flying on Monday and I'm trying to be very positive and sometimes it works however I do have my moments where I just want to cancel my tickets.

What thoughts ran through your head before you flew and how did you feel on the flight? Did you have any backup plans if it happened during the flight?

Thanks again

i never used to be that scared of other people being sick, but now im strating to again. which is hard because my job involves a lot of people gagging and coughing(which makes me nervous) and feeling anxious and n* all the time and i have to kind of force myself to deal with it and pray they wont be sick. but any form of public transport freaks me out. ipods are fantastic in this kind of situation, or a mobile phone where you can txt someone? and i think that it is rare for someone to be sick on a plane even with bad tirbulance. concentrate a lot on breathing deeply and distracting your mind a lot. basically dont pay attention to everyone around you. you'll be fine darl. once you go on there you'll soon realise what its like and its all ok.
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

On the way I was just so excited to be going on holiday it was easy to distract myself. When you're in your seat all you can really see and hear is the person sitting next to you and the movie (our plane had screens in the back of the seat in front which was nice, and also provided some welcome distractions as the wires were crossed between mine and my boyfriend's controls, so I controlled his screen and he controlled mine!).

My backup plan was basically to hide under my boyfriend's arm!

The way back was less pleasant as it was a night flight and everyone was asleep but I couldn't because my Crohn's was acting up. But at least with everyone asleep I wasn't so worried.

By the way, a mobile phone is not such a good idea!! You should not use your phone on an aeroplane (ipods woth wifi off are OK but not during take off or landing).

Quote Originally Posted by Gemma_H View Post
    Can I ask you guys, when you both how flown around the world, how did you prepare youselves? I'm flying on Monday and I'm trying to be very positive and sometimes it works however I do have my moments where I just want to cancel my tickets.

What thoughts ran through your head before you flew and how did you feel on the flight? Did you have any backup plans if it happened during the flight?

Thanks again
    I went through all those emotions too, although my emet was a lot better back than than it has been the last few years, but i just kept telling myself I would kick myself if i didn't get on that plane and that the tickets were not changeable and i'd never be able to afford to buy another etc and basically told myself I HAD to go.

It helped to put together a little kit of things that I know calm me down,which were headphones, mints, peppermint oil, wristbands, eye mask, anti-emetics (although back then i didn't know about proper ones I think I took motliums) etc - basically things to either stop myself being sick/panicking or block out my sight, hearing and sense of smell if someone else did!

And contrary to my normal habit of sitting in aisles i actually prefer the window seat if i'm travelling with someone i know as looking out at the world below is just such a beautiful sight and makes me feel so small and insignificant int he big scheme of things it somehow calms me down, I get the same feeling standing on mountains or on big beaches, it's nice.

i think the biggest thing that helped me onto the plane though in all honesty were a couple of large bacardis in the bar before boarding...Have a fabulous time though and look forward to hearing how you got on when you get back!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In take about 8+ flights every year and, in all my flights I have never once seen or heard anyone be sick! Probably because you cant really hear past your row...I agree with paulinek about the window seat, IF you were unfortunate enough to happen to get into a situation like that (which I highly doubt you wont), you can look out the window. And yes, bring your iPod just for some reassurance to block out any noise And there are constantly blasts of air coming out so you never smell it, but incase you are worried, there are air conditioning nozzles above you so you can turn it up. Good luck and enjoy your trip x
    Susie

Thanks everyone... I officially take off in less then 24 hours. Its been a hard week for me worrying so much. I feel very ill today (the stress we have to copy with hey!) But I'm going to print these helpful comments off and when I get scared in the plane I will read them. I'm determined if someone gets sick to try my hardest to work through it with breathing and staying where I am. Its so true the fact that the only way to beat a phobia is to face it, but its sooooo hard as all you want to do is run far away!
    I will let you know how I go

Thanks again & I hope we can all overcome this soon xxx

Have a good time!