Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default why do people tell us that Vting isn`t dangerous?

I`ve read a number of threads on emetophobia written by both doctors & ordinary people who claim that Vting can`t harm you. If this is true, then how do they explain the number of people that die from choking on their own V every year. Stuart Cable ,Jimi Hendrix, & Mama Cass all went that way. I`ve known a couple of people who`ve told me they lost reatives that way, & it had nothing to do with being drunk & unconcious, one of these was a 5 year old girl. It has me wondering why our bodies would want to do something so risky to us.

Default Re: why do people tell us that Vting isn`t dangerous?

Hairy, I don't know where you're getting your information, but it's not factual at all. Mamma Cass choked on a sandwich and Jimmi Hendrix drank a bottle of wine and took 9 sleeping pills before asphixiating on his own vomit. I didn't know Stuart Cable so I looked him up and sure enough he was drunk when he asphyxiated on his vomit, as was every other rock star for whom this has been reported. It's actually impossible to "choke" on vomit as the particles are too small to lodge in the throat. You can inhale some vomitus but coughing + the gag reflex helps with this, and it's a natural instinct.

There's no verifying the facts about your friends or relatives, including the child. If a child is sick enough to be too weak to turn their head to the side theoretically they could die, yes. But for people who are conscious and upright, vomiting is absolutely not dangerous.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just to put inhaled liquids in perspective.... You do NOT automatically die if you get fluid in your lungs.

Have you ever wiped out on water skis? When I was (trying to) learn to ski, the boat had a horribly messed up carburetor. It would NOT take off smoothly. I fell down and did faceplants into the lake again and again, trying to get the hang of it.

Finally I got almost up to speed, and busted badly. Ended up with water in my lungs. It was VERY uncomfortable, and I could barely restrain from caughing just enough to swim.

When the boat returned, I climbed back in and leaned over a seat, to try to caugh up the water. It felt like my lungs were full of hot lead!

About a cup of extremely hot water came out when I bent over and caughed and took deep breaths. I could feel it bubbling and percolating each time I breathed IN, and more water came out with each breath out. It took several minutes to get it all out.

If you are even HALFWAY alert, you will automatically take action to caugh or expel any liquid that goes into your lungs, be it V or lake water! It's just a built in reflex.

From what Sage found, the people you mention died of drug and alcohol overdoses. Saying they died from inahling vomit is like saying a lightning strike victim died of a heart attack. It IS technically true, but no way is it the whole story, nor even the important part of the story.

Not trying to sound harsh here - I just want to help you see this in a different light!

Sincerely
    David

Thanks for the story David.... something i've wondered about at times...makes sense now.

Both my mother and my grandmother were nurses who worked in the hospital. In all their years, they have not had a person die of aspirating vomit. The closest that they came was my mom had a patient who had attempted to commit suicide by drinking pinesol! Yes, the woman got sick, aspirated her vomit, and seriously burned her lungs, but even she did not die. Even if you DO happen to aspirate it, which is rare enough as is, still doesn't mean that it is a death sentence. It just doesn't happen that often.

As others have said, vomiting is only dangerous if you are unconscious at the time.