Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Incoming newbie..

Hello all!

I'm Sarah and to be quite honest, I have been viewing this message board for months and I have finally plucked up the courage to join and start fighting my phobia with the dreaded V

I suppose I should start from the beginning. My emetphobia started a little over 2 years ago. During a freak heat wave, I contracted a stomach bug and honestly, I have never been so sick in my life. The mercury was pushing 45 degrees Celsius and I was hit with projectile V that saw me V no less than 11 times. I started to throw up blood and fainted. My mum took me to the emergency room where I sat for close to 4 hours barefooted with V all down my top before the nurse brought me a bed to lie on and this nasty tasting rehydration drink which made me dry retch the moment it touched the back of my throat. After several hours had passed by, I was finally taken in and seen by a doctor who took bloods and gave me a mega size bag of Saline through a drip. She said I had a sky high fever and a small tear in my throat which explained the blood. I was in hospital for 2 days and couldn’t even drink water without retching. My ribs and stomach ached for days afterwards. I have not forgotten a moment of this ordeal and it set of my emetophobia with a bang.

Since then I have become a compulsive clean freak. I feel I am forever washing, wiping or sanitizing my hands. My handbag and it contents must be cleaned with disinfectant wipes every time I go out. I obsessively check expiration dates and will not eat meat or chicken with out it being VERY well done. When I browse through items in a shop, I never touch unless I am taking the item. I even hold my breath when walking past children or people who look dirty or sick. And the list goes on....

Honestly, my phobia is mainly that I'M going to V. I can watch films or see pictures with V in them, it doesn't make me feel so flash but I can tolerate it. I'm sure you all can relate to the beastly panic attacks it all can cause. Some days I have no attacks, and then some days are studded with them. I feel a strong urge to V, I go cold as ice all over, I feel like I'm floating and I just want to run as fast as I can, anywhere. I have had several instances where I have woken up in the middle of a panic attack. Those nights are the worst.

I try and cope the best way I can and am trying so hard to move on with my life. I even took a trip to Europe earlier this year and braved picking at disgusting plane food and touching walls of thousand year old cathedrals and managed alright.

But, I get weak. Too often.

Wow.....I'm really sorry that was so long! LOL

I really look forward to supporting and getting to know all of you.

All my love,

Sarah
    xxxxx

Default Re: Incoming newbie..

Hi Sarah and welcome to the site! I hope that you find lots of information and support here. I always suggest that newcomers read through the whole "Information and Research" section of this website. I wrote it, and so the same info is on my website (link below). I also write weekly articles on my blog about emetophobia.

Take care and if you have any questions after reading through everything, feel free to PM me!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Welcome to the site, I hope you find it as reassuring and helpful as I have.

What happened to you sounds absolutely horrendous!! Personally I have suffered from emet for most of my life but especially since my teens and Im now 44 years old. Previous to my latest bad time with it which has been going on for a couple of years I had over 20 good years so hopefully you will get through this episode sooner rather later.

Thankyou both so much for the warm welcome! ^_^ Sage, I will be sure to read that section!

Sarah
    xxxx

Sarah, that sounds like a terrible time; and more frightening because you were bleeding, too.

I don't mind hot weather, but I do see how it would add more stress on the body during a SV because of the added water needs.

Kudos for making your Europe trip and enjoying it! Really know how that feels, because I made my first overseas trip this year. No malfunctions, either!

Glad you're looking for answers for your phobia because that means you're making an effort to get past it. There are a couple threads about recovery active now, so look around for those and see what others have found helpful.

Respectfully,
    David

Thankyou so much for the welcome, David ^_^ Congrats on your trip!

Sarah
    xxxxx

Welcome Sarah!
    I'm very sorry to hear you're struggling, if you ever need someone to talk to, i'm all ears

Hello Sarah. What you went through sounds absolutely horrific!

Welcome to IES! I hope you find some comfort here!

Thankyou so much, everybody ^_^

Welcome to the group