Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Waking up and feeling anxious

In the middle of the night? Or just terrible lack of sleeping.

I wake up and feel anxious because of the emet, which in turn, sometimes leads to feelings of n*. In turn, immensely struggling to rest/fall back asleep.

Is this a common thing amongst emet sufferers? Or just me being ultra paranoid.

Totally legit question.

Stacey.

Default Re: Waking up and feeling anxious

You are not paranoid at all, love. I too have midnight panic attacks and cannot settle down afterwards. Its a cruel part of the phobia. I suggest your should seek help for these attacks because anxiety is totally treatable. Discuss it with your therapist (if you see one) or your doctor and they shoud be ale to out you on treatments to help with the panic. Stay calm and stay strong!

Sarah
    xxxx

Thanks for replying Sarah; it's good to know that your situation is relatable to others, or vice versa.

It is something that I want to get sorted out as it's beginning to affect my studies.
    I only just went to my GP to ask him to put me on a repeat prescription; I'd feel a pain for going again so soon, he's the kind who'd label you a hypochondriac for going too often :/

Ugh! I have met up with doctors like that before. If this is begining to really effect your studies and mental well being, I think you should go back to your GP and be more firm, you shoudn't have to live like this. Or, you could get a second opinion.

Do you have a support person like a friend, your mum etc?

You aren't paranoid at all.
    Well I guess we're all a bit paranoid aren't we?
    'This happens to me almost daily, you aren't alone!

This used to happen to me a lot. I think the only reason it doesn't so much for me now, is because I go to bed at such ridiculous hours. Whenever I wake in the night, I will think it is because I am coming down with a bug, and will immediately start feeling nauseous.

This happened to me 2 nights ago. Didnt go to sleep til 3.30am cos didnt feel too good and then woke up with a start at 5.10am thinking I was going to v*. Thankfully I didnt but I was wrecked all day. This does happen a few of times a month but its a bit better than last year when it happened almost every night!! Asked my gp for some anti-anxiety meds but she refused to give me tranquillisers cos theyre addictive but did prescribe me citalopram which is an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety drug. It does help but I would have been happier with a tranquilliser.