Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: lsauer

Default lsauer

I am 51 years old and have suffered enormously from this condition since I even could remember my name. I didn't even know until last week that anyone else in the world shared my phobia and I have been both crippled and embarrassed by it my whole life. My mother makes excuses for why I am the way I am but basically I was a sickly child that she punished for throwing up with spankings. I really don't ever throw up myself unless I just am beyond control and never in public. But I am far more afraid of someone else being sick in front of me than I am of losing my own control as that I have mastered. I think I have been sick less than 10 times in my life and some of them were because of drinking. I seem to have mastered the technique of not getting "the bug" by holding my breath in public or not exposing myself to bug situations. I never had children because I knew they would throw up on me or infect me with the throw up virus and I have surrounded myself with pets instead because their viruses aren't usually contagious. I have had problens with workplaces because co workers come in with illnessses that I might catch (I just hold my breath all day) and my husband and friends know the RULE if you are sick you can't stay over or you go outside with your illness. I can't even live in a house that doesn't have two bathrooms...one out of my earshot...I always thought of myself as a really sick individual but thanks to my classmate, for the first time I find I am not alone.

Default Re: lsauer

Welcome to the forum! I really feel sad for you since you have endured this for so many years. I'm sure you love your mom dearly but that is terrible she did not understand what you needed and gave punishment when you got sick. I cannot imagine that.

No, you are NOT "really sick" by any means. There are many here who feel the same as you do. We're all about overcoming and moving past this problem. You'll find that talking about it will help.

I'm a good bit younger than you, but have been emetophobic for 20+ years. I've been "over it" enough for the past 4 or 5 years that it's not really a problem anymore.

Sincerely,
    David

Hello! Welcome to IES!

I'm sorry you have suffered for so long. It was very cruel of your mother to punish you for something beyond your control. I hope this site will bring you comfort.

welcome to the forum.......i'm right there with you......i will be 59 in a few weeks and have had this crappy phobia since the 4th grade when a boy sitting behind me v all over me. i never knew it had a name or that anyone else felt this way till i found this forum.

it has really been a big help and comfort to know that i can come here and everybody understands even the silliest things i fear and do.

i've kept it secret until this year from my family ........feel much better after explaining it to them with the help of this forum.....had them read certain parts to help them understand. so i'm an emet that suffers alone.......don't like to post while in a panic.....just feel if i talk about it i will lose control.

are you on any meds? i take prozac for the obsesive thoughts of v......really works well for me....

again, welcome to the forum
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Welcome to the site. Im glad youve found somewhere where youll find others who share the same worries and fears as you. Im 44 and have had this fear since I was very young but didnt really start to be affected by it til I was about 16 when it seemed to take over my whole life. My mother is also a fellow sufferer, though not quite as bad as me, so she always understands. I couldnt imagine not having my mother to turn to so Im very sorry yours reacted so badly to you being sick. Perhaps she was afraid of it too and thought she could stop you getting ill by scaring you!

my mom was just frustrated that I was sick all the time. I was the first kid and she overfed me so of course I got sick. I told her when I was about 18 about the fear and she said maybe she had given it to me because she spanked me for being sick. I was too young to remember the incidences. Maybe I just developed it because I was sick as a kid so much...not sure.

I remember first getting this way in first grade when someone threw up. After that, if someone were sick in the class I wouldn't go to school for days...I pretended to be sick myself. If someone got sick on the bus I would make the bus driver stop and I would get off and walk home (I am sure you can't do that now).

Although I don't like to throw up I am more fearful of someone else doing it. I can't use public restrooms and I hate to travel for fear of it. If I do encounter someone being sick, I get that fear feeling in my stomach and I want to run away as fast as I can...but I don't get nauseous myself, just scared. I haven't taken any sort of drugs for it because I didn't even know it was a condition until last week, I just thought it was peculiar to me. I sure would like to get over it though, I just don't know how.

Quote Originally Posted by lsauer View Post
    ........I am more fearful of someone else doing it. ... If I do encounter someone being sick, I get that fear feeling in my stomach and I want to run away as fast as I can.... I sure would like to get over it though, I just don't know how.
    You can most certainly get over it! That I know for sure!

My phobia was / is solely about me myself getting sick. I can't completely relate to the way yours is - but I have a feeling you would be well served to look at Sage's site and read her experiences.

This thread will get you pointed in the right direction!

Sincerely,
    David

Welcome -- I too am way more afraid of others (also a control thing for me). My dad was sick all the time while I was growing up. Started having panic attacks at age 8 and things just kept getting worse throughout my entire life -- that is until recently when I discovered this site and Celexa (LOL). Celexa really takes the edge off as I don't find myself in a panic if I hear someone coughing or gagging (well, not as much I used to JUMP OUT OF MY SKIN) also have been able to keep my daughter home with me when she has been ill (used to send her off to my mom's house until I got the all clear).

I do COMPLETELY understand your specific phobia and hope that this site will be a source of comfort for you.

Again, welcome!!!

Does Celexa make you tired all the time. I would hate that. I take a sleep aid at night anyway so I was thinking maybe asking my Dr. about councilling or acupuncture. Now that I know what I have is a phobia, I am not afraid to do what I have to to get it out of my life for good. It has been a part of it for way too long.
    @ David, I can't even bring myself to look at that website link you sent yet. But I think it will help when I get the courage.

Does Celexa make you tired all the time. I would hate that. I take a sleep aid at night anyway so I was thinking maybe asking my Dr. about councilling or acupuncture. Now that I know what I have is a phobia, I am not afraid to do what I have to to get it out of my life for good. It has been a part of it for way too long.
    @ David, I can't even bring myself to look at that website link you sent yet. But I think it will help when I get the courage.
    I've never taken any medications so can't help there!

The link I sent is just another thread on this forum where Sage tells everyone she re-did her site. Absolutely nothing whatsoever to be worried about. It's just discussion. The link to the site is in that thread.

The site its self is also completely safe. There is nothing that shows by its self on Sage's site. To quote directly from her site on the first page: "There are no surprises, and every word, drawing, cartoon or picture is at the bottom of the given section with a clear explanation of what you will see at the top of the page before you scroll down."

Hope this explains it a little!

Take care!
    David

I did go and scroll thru the things Sage mentions, but I didn't have the courage to look at anything other than the homepage and her explanation. I will get there.

Has anyone tried the CD's that are advertised on the bottom of this site. emetephobiaeraser I think it is called. I would like to know how they have worked before I spend $97.

I did go and scroll thru the things Sage mentions, but I didn't have the courage to look at anything other than the homepage and her explanation. I will get there.....
    Good! The key to it is doing it at your own pace.

Peace,
    David