Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default doctors attitudes to Vting

Does anyone on this site notice how doctors seem to disaprove of people taking anti-emets for the norovirus? I`ve tried to persuade my GP to prescribe some for me during noro season, but all he says is that Vting helps clear the virus from the body. I keep some dompiradone on me wherever I go, but I`m scared it might not be strong enough to combat noro, so I was hoping to get a script for something guaranteed to work. I`ve also noticed that in articles about it in the papers or magazines written by doctors, not one of them reccomends a suitable anti-emet drug.

Default Re: doctors attitudes to Vting

I think it's hard for doctors to prescribe something when you aren't presenting with symptoms. Also there's no proof that v* with noro actually HELPS or makes it go away sooner so if you are suffering, you should definately use anti-emetics...although (I hate saying this) but there is always the possibility of anti-emetics NOT working when you need them. Some people say noro strikes quick and most anti-emetics take a while to have full effect. I don't know what else to say...just try and avoif noro as much as possible. If you ever were to get it (and I seriously hope none of us ever does) I would go to the hospital and get treatment. Sorry I know that doesn't help. Where are you; UK, US?

Throing up with noro is not needed but unless you have been vomiting for 24hrs straight it also really poses no threat apart from being unpleasant. In a lot of instances anti-emetics wont work on noro because the stomach stops digesting anything so the drugs don't get in your system.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

When you have any kind of stomach virus or food poisoning, vomiting and diarrhea are your body's way of getting rid of it so you can be healthy again. Our bodies were perfectly made to keep us "safe" and healthy at all times. So, taking anti-emets and things like Imodium to stop vomiting and diarrhea makes us sicker because it takes waaaayyyy longer for the virus to exit our systems, which, in theory, could do harm because if something that's a kind of poison (for lack of a better word) is hanging around your gut, how healthy is that?

That's why doctors don't want us taking anything for vomiting. They want us to let our bodies do what they were designed to do.

i agree with butterflies.....i had a bad d virus a few years ago....no v, thank god. i went to the dr after day 2 of constant d and pretty high fever. he told me DO NOT TAKE IMMODIUM or anything like that to stop the d.....it needs to clear out. i would assume the same for noro......doesn't mean i wont take my phenergan when i get too scared
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vomiting does absolutely nothing to clear norovirus from your body. In food poisoning, it is of questionable utility since by the time the body detects the presence of a toxin, it has already passed far enough in the intestines for vomiting to be any good at flushing them out. The only time I agree that vomiting is useful and necessary is in case of alcohol poisoning. Otherwise, take your anti-emets!

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeah, I can't see any reason that vomiting would do anything for noro. The reason noro makes people vomit is not because there's anything wrong with the food you ingested, but because the virus attacks the nervous system and makes your digestive system go haywire. Noro just runs its course in 24 hours in your body regardless.

I have read recently on one article written by a doctor, that he thinks anti emets are a good idea if you can keep them down, with Noro. He claims that it won`t stop the body fighting the virus. I just wonder what his collegues make of his advice, but whether he`s right or wrong, I`ll still use anti emets if I`m unlucky enough to catch the bug. I live in the UK, in East London, an area which always seems to be very badly affected by Noro every winter.