Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thumbs up Something that helps me.

Usually, when I start to feel worried about getting sick, I take a deep breath, take a good hard look at my surroundings and say to myself "I'm fine." It always helps me, I know that if I can admit to being fine, then I AM going to be fine.

Hope that can help some of you

Default Re: Something that helps me.

I always try , but my mind gets to me and i start freaking 30 seconds later D:

I can get the same way sometimes, but I always feel like I have some sort of psychic moment and think "Okay, if I'm saying I'm fine now... and I don't actually feel myself throwing up later... Then I'm thinking I'll be alright." and try to focus on just that... It usually helps when I'm not freaking out too much yet

I try to catch myself before it gets too bad or else well i lose control

I still have yet to control myself that well :/

Yeah i cant control myself using positive thinking yet the only things that help are ditractions OR

hot water , ice , mints , bath or getting my boyfriend to scratch me.

Yeah I've become immune to positive thinking. The only things that help me now are video games, incense, and getting into a hot tub on a cold night.

Wow, I am new to this site.. I had no IDEA there were people out there like me!!! I am sooo terrified im going to puke. the only thing that helps me is positive thinking, hot baths, and my boyfriend rubbing my stomach acting like he is taking all the nausea away from my belly button. I know its silly, BUT it works.

Immune to positive thinking here. I have OCD so quite often finding myself repeating the same thoughts.

I absolutely don't want to think about it but I can't help it.

Sucks :'(

Well my OCD is so bad, I feel like if I don't think/get nervous, then there's something horribly wrong. I don't like getting nervous, it's just the only thing that I feel gets me through it :/

Sounds silly, but I wrap my arms around myself and squeeze as hard as I can and close my eyes and breath deeply.

What do you do if your anxiety is about someone else being sick and not yourself?

what helps me, is when i say to myself "I'm being silly, nothing is going to happen" then i think hard about the chances of something happening and usually they are VERY low!

oh! and also if im feeling...well...ill...i take a vitamin C and i picture in my head that there are little orange soljiers with armor on and shields going down my throat, and into my belly to fight off all the bad germs. hehe.

griff: All I can do is just stay away from them :/
    And I do the same thing bluebird! I think really hard about being sick, and if I can't really feel it happening then that slowly calms me down. AND I also think about how my stomach looks on the inside, and what it's doing. That calms me for some reason :P

i am so unbelievably glad i'm not alone if i ever have a panic attack starting i think of something over and over till it gets out of my head like "the grass is green the sky is blue the earth is round" just repeat it and if it still gets bad start saying it aloud or chew gum those actions help, i have to admit i do still struggle though.

That's a really good grounding technique. Thanks for sharing!

I have herbal rescue remedy spray! I actually think I hold the world record of using a whole spray canister during my c section with my daughter. I think it has become habitual more than actually working. I also light candles, chew gum, take pepto bismol (gross) and write letters and stuff to distract me.
    BUT these are all coping mechanisms that try to stop us from feeling anxiety but in doing these we are never letting ourselves see the end reaction and if we really will be sick. So in reality we are just feeding the phobia and making ourselves worse.

Wow, thas soooo cool!

BTW: How do you post a new thread?? I forgot!!!

rebeccauponastar Guest

so over the past few days(especially 2day) almost my entire family except me and my mom became violently ill, and im soo paranoid that im going to catch what they have, i locked myself in the powder room and have only come out when absolutely necessary. my mom said that she thinks im going to be alright, and shes usually right about these things, but i cant help myself. i know i need help and i dont know what to do...
    thanks for your time

I'm going to try to tell myself the same thing next time I feel sick
    "there's a light at the end of this tunnel" you shout, 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out. these mistakes you make, you'll just make them again if you only try turning around.. and breathe. just breathe <3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.