Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: emet and gender

Default emet and gender

Emet seems to be overwhelmingly a woman's condition. It appears that about 95% of the people on this forum are women. Do you think that in real life, there are just as many male emets as women, but that most men are just too embarrassed to admit this fear? I have to believe there are more male emets than there seem to be from reading this forum.

Default Re: emet and gender

It could be true that it's primarily a female's phobia.

I think that guys tend to get conditioned (by peer pressure etc.) to suppress anxiety and that may make them less susceptible to things like this.

Also it could encourage guys to hide it from everyone for fear of being considered 'weak' or 'weird.'

I see things different from alot of men. I simply do not see any need in constantly having to prove anything to anyone. I am what I am - what you see is what you get! In the same light, I do not see any need to hide feelings that are not positive.

Respectfully,
    David

Women, overall, have higher rates of anxiety disorders than men. It is unclear if it is a genetic issue (like how men are more likely to be color-blind than women), or, like David said, it is social conditioning.

I think men are far more reluctant to show their fears and feelings, which is a shame v_v

Quote Originally Posted by SaSa View Post
    I think men are far more reluctant to show their fears and feelings, which is a shame v_v
    YES that is true; and it is one of the ways I am most different from other men. Even though I sometimes get looked at oddly, I still express myself.

David

It's true that all anxiety disorder sufferers are mostly women. Conversely, men are more likely to have rage disorders. I would think it's mainly instinctive: men are more likely to go into "fight" mode and women more likely to go into "flight" mode. Probably based on the difference in our physical size.

But I'm just guessing that last bit!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.