Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Seeing others v*?

It seems like most of the people on this site mainly have a fear of v*, not seeing others v*. For me, my fear is mainly seeing people v*. Sure, I dislike when I v*, and I get a little tense and nervous when I think I might. And sure, I avoid it at all costs, but when I'm through, I feel back to normal. My real fear is seeing it. Pictures, movies, tv, real life. All that. If I see it at all, I freak out and get all the symptoms. Is there anyone out there like that? If so, you're not alone.

Default Re: Seeing others v*?

For me, it`s both, but I fear myself Vting more than oyher people doing it. Luckily I hardly ever see it, & when I do, I think: UGH! what a disgusting person for doing that, especially in front of other people!

My fear is other people too. I don't like to do it myself, but it's not that bad really, and usually when I do need to v it comes as a relief.

My main fear is me doing it. I hate seeing others do it, but it doesn't terrify me the way it used to. It used to be that I'd feel a shot of adrenaline if I simply heard someone say, "I think I'm gonna be sick" or if I saw someone running with their hand over their mouth.

Mine is seeing other people too. It is the worst because you cant control what other people do so it makes it very scary. Last night my husband got sick on the couch from drinking too much. It makes me so mad that he cant seem to know when he is gonna be sick so he never makes it to the bathroom. He cleaned it up but I spent the next few hours screaming at him and crying. It sucks.

For me, I don't really care if people V anymore unless they may be sick which could lead to me v'ing. If they are drunk, okay, who cares. (I used to be so much worse!) But now, I just really care that I don't v.

I suffered from both at different times of my life. Well, I was always afraid of other people. But I thought because it made me afraid of getting sick myself. Once I was treated for fear of being sick myself, as time went by my fear of other people got ridiculous! I was a basket case if anyone so much as coughed near me, God forbid they say they felt sick.

The good news is that fearing other people is easier to treat - although I'm having good success lately with treating people who fear vomiting themselves, too....but I digress! Anyway, if this is the way your emetophobia manifests itself then you can get some help and enjoy an anxiety-free life. It's wonderful!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeah for me, I freak out if someone is v*. I don't like when I v* but it's easier to handle then seeing it.

I'd much rather myself be ill than anyone else. If it's me that's ill, then usually I get a bit tense, dwell on it for a bit, then just resign myself to the fact that if I'm feeling ill enough to think I might V*, then it's probably going to happen sooner or later. That being said, all of that probably happens because I very very rarely feel ill, and even more rarely do I V*. However, if anyone around me says they're feeling ill (though it's my family and close friends, and my boyfriend mostly) then that really makes me panic. Especially if I can't escape. I can control my panic if I have a way of escape, like, if I can go into another room with my ipod, or if I can go outside and read or something. Cars are a really terrifying experience for me with people who have been drinking though, or with people who have said they're not well.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyfairy View Post
    For me, it`s both, but I fear myself Vting more than oyher people doing it. Luckily I hardly ever see it, & when I do, I think: UGH! what a disgusting person for doing that, especially in front of other people!
    It is both for me as well. Moreso, myself doing it or my kids waking me up in the middle of the night suddenly having had Vd. I used to be terrified of waking up suddenly and need to v. I recently found a verse in the Bible in Proverbs that was quite reassuring (not forcing any beliefs on anyone). Proverbs 3:21-26 if you wanna read it

I have both also! Absolutly go nuts if I feel sick. If it is others I freak out also and run away from it. The worst case scenario for me is someone sick with noro around me because he can pass it on to me!!! If they are sick for some other reason I have learned to compose myself somewhat!! Still if v* didnt exist what so ever I would be very happy!

When I see someone V, I think, UGH! your`e disgusting!, why don`t you hold it in, like I would do! It does`nt matter if it`s on TV, or real life. I saw a programme about fishermen on TV som months ago, & they were complaining about being seasick in rough weather, & I thought : why don`t you take some anti- seasickness pills, you wimp! I do tend to think that men should`nt get sick, as It seems not very manly to V. I know that sounds silly to a lot of people, but I was raised to think that men are meant to be strong & tough, but then I was raised in the 50` & 60`s, so that`s probably why.

I am the same way. When my husband gets sick I think of him as weak. I feel so bad about it but I just cant help it!

I'm with you! I dislike doing it myself, but I don't panic about it. It's when somebody near me does it. I can deal with TV and Films as long as it's not super graphic, but if I hear or see somebody do it it bothers me.

You may find these links helpful!