Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation Never thrown up, not that I can remember, am I just counting down the days?

My scary episode was when my sis vomited. I haven't, other than once I gagged up a tiny bit of stomach acid from not eating for 3 days.

I'm 20 now. I don't know how it feels to vomit, how real nausea feels, I mean, is it definately inevitable to vomit at some point? This dreads me. I'm so scared..

I started taking Zoloft again cuz the OCD and anxiety is so bad, and once it kicks in, I do want to get help to feel better about my phobia than to try everything (including practically starving) to keep myself from ever vomiting.

then ppl say that there are breathing patterns that must take place to vomit. So How do I control those when I don't even know what they feel like?

any advice?

Default Re: Never thrown up, not that I can remember, am I just counting down the days?

I'm 20 too! I got the stomach flu last year and V*ed a few times. I was having panic attacks the whole time and I still didn't choke or anything. I know it's weird coming from someone who is terrified to V* but your body really kinda controls itself. The scary part for me actually is that I HAVE no control when it happen. But you won't have to control anything, your body pretty much does it all.

Default Re: Never thrown up, not that I can remember, am I just counting down the days?

Did you fight it the whole time? I mean, right now I'd rather die than throw up. I am more afraid of v'ing than of death itself.

I know a lot of emets don't vomit from stomach flu's, right? Because they don't give in. There are also 3 times when I really think I shoulda thrown up in my life but fought it like crazy and didn't, though I did feel nauseous for hours.

Can I do this? Can I overpower my brain? I've done it before... Could I do it with the stomach flu?

Quote Originally Posted by VASTdejection View Post
    Did you fight it the whole time? I mean, right now I'd rather die than throw up. I am more afraid of v'ing than of death itself.

I know a lot of emets don't vomit from stomach flu's, right? Because they don't give in. There are also 3 times when I really think I shoulda thrown up in my life but fought it like crazy and didn't, though I did feel nauseous for hours.

Can I do this? Can I overpower my brain? I've done it before... Could I do it with the stomach flu?
    I think it is NOT inevitable that you V. It could happen or it may not. There is no reason you will definately have to V.

I am SO with you on this:
    There are also 3 times when I really think I shoulda thrown up in my life but fought it like crazy and didn't
    I know that feeling well! For me there have only been 2 real serious tests. One of them may have been norovirus (aka stomach flu).

Before I was afraid of it, I V'd a little water / acid after being overcome with a horrible sinus headache. That lead to my phobia I beleive. I've never gotten nauseous and V'd up any food.

Fight it or don't fight it, it's all up to you. The ultimate goal, would be to not worry about it and think about it unless you really thought you might be getting sick. That's where I'm at now - I don't stew about it unless I am really feeling bad. Then I try to be careful with myself to minimize any other stress that would add to the situation.
    Last edited by turbokinetic; 10-31-2010 at 12:03 AM.

Some people have a stomach valve issue that means they physically cannot v*. it's probably worth asking your family about when you were little, see if you have ever v'ed (true v, not spit-up) as a baby.

Quote Originally Posted by VASTdejection View Post

I fought it until the cramping kicked in and it was HORRIBLE. I remember at one point I gasped to my mom "No babies, no babies ever!" Lol.

When my stomach muscles got exhausted from fighting it, I got very faint and then came the V* and it honestly wasn't that bad, so I don't know why I'm still so afraid to V*. I felt like a million times better afterward too.

Hi Vast,
    The thing is, always try to remember that vomiting is not the issue. Don't waste your time and energy figuring out how to vomit, how not to, how to breathe so you don't, etc. Spend that time and energy on getting over your anxiety disorder. Anxiety is the problem, not vomiting. Vomiting is normal and natural and although people don't like it, they don't fear it. It is normal not to fear vomiting. So that's what you strive for - strive to become "normal." It's possible. Lots of people get successfully treated for their emetophobia all the time. Take heart!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I really, really envy people like you, & I wish that I was lucky enough not to ever have Vted. I wish I knew how you`ve managed to avoid it all your life, then I would have done it too.

If you ever come down with an sv*, I'm quite sure you'll know, one way or the other.

There are not "breathing patterns" that must take place to cause v*, but rather deep breaths are required directly prior to the v* process. I'm quite sure that these breaths are more reflex than controlled, as the body prepares to not breathe for about 30 seconds.

Some say you can help induce v* if you feel very n* by taking deep breaths, though I've never tried this (obviously).

You are sort of suffering a double-whammy here, as you appear afraid of n* and v* yet do not have a clear indication of what it is like, and therefore have no "benchmark" to ease your anxiety. I suppose to you, any sensation other than what is absolutely normal may be an indication of this "impending doom."

It's certainly a recipe for anxiety for someone like you.

So take comfort in the idea that an sv* which will make you sick does not feel like digestion, or gas, or just a general upset stomach. It has a distinct sensation, and you should recognize it as being "unusual" in almost every way, should you ever get it.