Hello-
I have a two year old son. Since he is only two, he imitates whatever his father and I do around him. Unfortunately, he has witnessed one of my panic attacks (during a stomach virus, I was overcome with such severe nausea that I panicked), and needless to say, this scared him. We have watched movies together, and he notices that whenever a person even appears to look like they may v* that I shield my face and ears. So now whenever he sees anyone in movies or tv get sick, he does the same.
I really do not want to pass this down to my child. I didn't learn this behavior from anyone myself (I think it came from getting sick with my younger cousin- but that is a whole other thread, lol), but I feel like this a phobia can be 'learned' or 'passed down' from one person to another.
My son is so impressionable right now that I am afraid that my behavior is going to lead him to do the same.
I do not know what I would do without my husband. He doesn't make fun or ridicule me for having this (if anything he protects me, haha). I am hoping that our son will be like his dad and face this fear without, well, fear.
Has anyone else here had to deal with this issue among their children?
Thank you for reading.
Big hugs,
Tishina