Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question So, can you really get the "stomach flu" through your eyes too?

On this site, Sage says it must be "swallowed" (which would make sense for it to get there through your nose, since you do end up swallowing particles that get trapped with the mucus), but most other health sites I have seen also say that you can get it if you touch your eyes after your hands have been contaminated.

I just read some of that about the eyes about a day ago, when I was around a bunch of the cheerleaders I coach (little kids, especially) who have recently in the past week had the norovirus. I panicked in the car at some point and of course in my tears I rubbed my eyes like crazy.... I mean, I had washed my hands well like half an hour before but still.... my fingers touched the car door and the steering wheel and all the above since. It has been one day and I am still counting down the last 2.

So, what is it? Can you get it through infecting your eyes, or no? MUST it be sent through the oral (or nasal) route? Any back up info? I'm driving myself crazy and haven't been able to eat anything for a couple days (I'd rather my stomach be empty if I get sick).

And if I for some reason DID get the virus particles in my eye, and since I have not been eating well for about a week, am I likely to come down with it?

Gosh, doesn't anyone ever wish they had a phobia of SPIDERS instead? I know I do!

Thanks, much!

Default Re: So, can you really get the "stomach flu" through your eyes too?

Quote Originally Posted by VASTdejection View Post
    ....Gosh, doesn't anyone ever wish they had a phobia of SPIDERS instead? I know I do!
    YES!!!

I can spray RAID around for the spiders but nothing I've sprayed has yet to remove this phobia!

David

I doubt it. Check the CDC disease sheet for norovirus. It says it's primarily transmitted through the (ugh) fecal/oral route. (someone doesn't wash their hands after they poo and you touch something and put your fingers in your mouth) OR If you inhale aerosolized v*.

I'll tell you. I've been around for 23 years. I haven't had noro since I was in the 2nd grade. I MIGHT have gotten it 3 years ago but I was only n* (although horribly) for like 6 hours and then passed out from sheer shock and woke up completely healthy. I wouldn't worry about eyeball transmission.

I'll do a copy/paste job for you whilst omitting the gory details.

Virus Transmission

Noroviruses are transmitted primarily through the fecal-oral route, either by consumption of fecally contaminated food or water or by direct person-to-person spread. Environmental and fomite contamination may also act as a source of infection. Good evidence exists for transmission due to aerosolization of v* that presumably results in droplets contaminating surfaces or entering the oral mucosa and being swallowed. No evidence suggests that infection occurs through the respiratory system.

They say nothing about eyeball transmission. I would think, as paranoid as the CDC is about everything germ related, that they would mention this if it were possible/plausible.

Although the eyes do connect to the sinuses and they drain to your throat, it would be really difficult to get norovirus by rubbing your eyes. Mainly because the water in the eyes flushes things out rather than drains down. You do have to swallow the virus. You can't "inhale" it per se, but if it's in droplets in the air, because someone just vomited beside you, then you can get it by sniffing it into your nose. Although it's more likely you had your mouth open.

There are "Norovirus Facts" written here and on my website. My son-in-law is a microbiologist and he did the research.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No kidding! I have often wanted anything else besides this fear! I would take explosive diarrhea probably rather than another day with emet!! (Gotta try to laugh, or I will cry) I am so happy I found this website. The norovirus facts put my mind at ease so much. I wish you healing!